Rob Butcher or Glen Radford?

nfc90210

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
cant remember who I used first (maybe Rob), remember asking my mum for a 5 quid cheque (I was 13!) and sending it away. Didnt hear anything for ages and had to scan in the bank statement showing proof he'd cashed the cheque so he finally sent out (Heatwave 98)

Started trading myself end of 1999 to 2002 ish (under Socko's Tapes), dealt with FuseMP/SST, Si Trader, Mark Renshaw?, dutch guy called Winzen? god knows

I was 15 and had an Australian trader who would send me the WCW PPV's (2000 to 2001) the day after they aired, thems were the days.

Ended up losing interest (and VCDs came in), sold quite a few masters on here in bulk deals. As soon as I moved out my old dear threw the rest away.

Remember getting up every 3 hours to swap tapes in VCRs.

Brilliant thread, nothing better than when the mail man came over these years.

Rentcome? Used him 2-3 times, got lists off him regularly for some time.

I bought from both Glen Radford and Rob Butcher. When both had a new tape list out it was an exciting time. Interesting to see that a fair few first tape trader tapes was The Night The Line Was Crossed - I remember in the 1994 (and only) Suckerpunch yearbook Rob said that he sold so many copies of that one, that it may have proved ECW's worthwhile to give it a general release in the UK.

I still have a mental amount of vids from tape traders at my parents. Once I amassed about 100 or so, I started trading with other sheet readers, and got about 400 in the end, and still purchased from Glen and Rob because I couldn't wait an extra week for that WCW PPV that aired three weeks earlier. Also, whenever I missed AAA on a Saturday, Rob would happily stick it onto the end of a tape for me.

Happy days.

I bought from both Glen Radford and Rob Butcher. When both had a new tape list out it was an exciting time. Interesting to see that a fair few first tape trader tapes was The Night The Line Was Crossed - I remember in the 1994 (and only) Suckerpunch yearbook Rob said that he sold so many copies of that one, that it may have proved ECW's worthwhile to give it a general release in the UK.

I still have a mental amount of vids from tape traders at my parents. Once I amassed about 100 or so, I started trading with other sheet readers, and got about 400 in the end, and still purchased from Glen and Rob because I couldn't wait an extra week for that WCW PPV that aired three weeks earlier. Also, whenever I missed AAA on a Saturday, Rob would happily stick it onto the end of a tape for me.

Happy days.

The thing with The Night the Line was Crossed is that it got a two page review in Superstars of Wrestling. I am pretty sure that it was the first ECW show that the magazine covered, and their review made it seem like a completely unmissable show. They put over the wild brawl between the Bruise Brothers and Public Enemy, The Sheik throwing fire, the double chain match, Tommy Dreamer kicking out of the Superfly splash and the 60 minute main event. This was all completely new to the vast majority of wrestling fans in the UK. That one review was the catalyst for me contacting Rob as it was the only way we could get to watch it, and I am guessing it was the same for several hundred others.

Magnum Milano - They covered Ultra Clash '93 in SOW back in late 1993, complete with photos and full coverage of the show/an actual article. That was the first time I ever heard of the promotion. I remember it because the last line was along the lines of "Eastern Championship Wrestling's style might not be to everyone's taste but you have to admit this was the best U.S. wrestling show in since SuperBrawl III". Maybe not quite that patronising but it was something similar.

I suppose they may have mentioned it in brief that What's Going Down section before then but I think that's the first time they focused on the show.

cant remember who I used first (maybe Rob), remember asking my mum for a 5 quid cheque (I was 13!) and sending it away. Didnt hear anything for ages and had to scan in the bank statement showing proof he'd cashed the cheque so he finally sent out (Heatwave 98)

Doubt it. I'm pretty sure Butcher had finished trading before that show even happened.

Magnum Milano - They covered Ultra Clash '93 in SOW back in late 1993, complete with photos and full coverage of the show/an actual article. That was the first time I ever heard of the promotion. I remember it because the last line was along the lines of "Eastern Championship Wrestling's style might not be to everyone's taste but you have to admit this was the best U.S. wrestling show in since SuperBrawl III". Maybe not quite that patronising but it was something similar.

I suppose they may have mentioned it in brief that What's Going Down section before then but I think that's the first time they focused on the show.

Fair enough; we stopped getting Superstars of Wrestling in my area around issue 12 and I didn't see it again until the Powerslam relaunch with Owen on the cover. I then picked up a bunch of back issues of SOW that they were selling, but they didn't go as far back as that Ultraclash show, hence why I thought TNTLWC was the first ECW they covered.

For what it's worth, the first issue of SOW I ever picked up was Issue 28 (April-ish 1994), which was way after I started reading Piledriver (Glen Radford's fanzine) and Suckerpunch (Rob Butcher's). Piledriver reported ECW's Ultraclash '93, and the 'Bloodfeast' six-show TV tapings that ECW did that first showcased Sabu, so that's how I discovered ECW. And Glen Radford was quick to supply me with the vids. SOW was nigh on impossible to find in most newsagents until the Powerslam relaunch, at least in my area.

(Incidentally, Piledriver was reponsible for me becoming "smart"; I remember reading the sentence "Randy Savage has been doing five minute jobs for Yokozuna around the horn", and wondering what the fuck that meant in my innocent halcyon times.)

Yeh Winzen set me up with a bunch of CZW/BJPW stuff, got some ECW stuff from Rentcome. I remember he had a refer a friend deal where you get money off, I used a friends address and paid for it all! Rentcome probably clicked but i thought i was a mastermind at the time.,

Doubley for what it's worth, I've just been flicking through my SOW collection, and the first ECW feature SOW ever did was the ECW (Eastern Championship Wrestling) Summer Sizzler with a two-page feature in Issue 19 (July 2003). Eddie Gilbert and Terry Funk were in the main event, and thankfully Mr. Radford sorted me out with that too!

SOW started reporting on ECW regularly from Issue 21. Ultraclash '93 had four pages worth of coverage in Issue 22, with a fucking awesome photo of one of the Headhunters put through a wall.

The thing with The Night the Line was Crossed is that it got a two page review in Superstars of Wrestling. I am pretty sure that it was the first ECW show that the magazine covered, and their review made it seem like a completely unmissable show. They put over the wild brawl between the Bruise Brothers and Public Enemy, The Sheik throwing fire, the double chain match, Tommy Dreamer kicking out of the Superfly splash and the 60 minute main event. This was all completely new to the vast majority of wrestling fans in the UK. That one review was the catalyst for me contacting Rob as it was the only way we could get to watch it, and I am guessing it was the same for several hundred others.

This is what did it for me - that and the picture on the front cover of the three way and the whole review made it sound unmissable. Reading it back then (only being used to watching wwf) made it seem like the greatest wrestling show ever and it lived up to the hype - was an excellent card.

Always used to deal with Rob in the beginning. Saw his ad in Powerslam. Nearly spunked my pants when I got the list and was able to pick up WCW Clashes and other promotions like ECW and some Indys. Was gutted when I could no longer get WCW off him.

Dealt with Glen later on and he bought lots of my private merch off me for a few tapes and would sell the items at a high price through his list. I got about

Archived