Rob Butcher or Glen Radford?

nfc90210

• Paid Members
Mainly off Glen, Rob didn't carry on for that much longer after I found out about him then he sold his business to GWI

I'm STILL waiting for a tape list from GWI. I sent it ten years ago. :(

Yep, I sent off for a Glen Radford tape list in 2001 after seeing it advertised in Powerslam. When I realised it wasn't coming anytime soon, I started using StrongStyleTapes. When that went tits up and he seemingly vanished into thin air, it was onto Outcast Video. Truly, they were the greatest traders I ever dealt with.

All that seems like aeons ago now. Last time I bought something off a trader was 2004. Torrents and Youtube are all well and good, but comes nowhere near the excitement of rushing downstairs to find your tape waiting for you at the foot of the door. I really miss that.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found out about Rob Butcher from 'This & That' in Power Slam. Was absolutely chuffed when I found out what titles were available. My first chance of seeing ECW & Death Match Stuff from Japan I had been reading about and dieing to see. Then moved onto GWI when Rob sold up and finally SST before giving up after Strong Style Service got more and more slack. Never did find a good trader after that. If any one has any suggestions please Pm me. ;)

• Paid Members
I used Glen and found the service to be of a very good standard. :thumbsup:

Strongstyle were shit and ripped me and a few friends off! :angry:

I was living in Ireland when using StrongStyleTapes. I ordered over twenty tapes from him, and each one arrived at my door within a week of sending the money order. I can honestly say that I never ever had a problem with the guy. There was a thread on here, maybe around '03/'04, where the forum were split on him. He did cause some furore alright, and the way he just vanished seemed a bit dodgy.

The anticipation and searching for copies of Wrestling shows has gone now Youtube, Dailymotion and Torrents provide everything at a flick of a mouse click. Good thing like, but still......I think most of us just want to be young again.

God we sound like something out of Last of the Summer Wine lol,

• Paid Members

My experience with this kind of thing really started in 2002 when I started attending FWA shows, using Strong Style until the incident where Frontiers of Honor almost got cancelled as he tried to sell ROH stuff from under his table at the show while RF were in the same building. That was May 2003, and his service went way downhill almost immediately. I used Outcast Video for a year or two after that, then ROH started releasing shows on DVD much quicker than before, and that was that.

I worked with Glen quite a bit, never met him but spoke on the phone a lot. He was rock solid, never bothered with anyone else much because his service was all i needed.

I sold british wrestling footage, so we helped each other out as our businesses did not really clash. Glen once came out with what i thought was a funny line that only wrestling fans of a certain age would understand. Tape trading was dropping off quite badly & we were both scratching our heads on what to do about the problem?

The conversation went like this... Me "Think i will do a "Terry Funk" fake retirement angle, so all the punters panic & buy all the footage that they need to finish off their collections?"...... Glen " Well, good luck but my business is more like All Japan, we dont really do Angles!"

Happy Days, lots of hard work though. I had 4 VCRs linked together in my bedroom that ran 24/7, when they all rewound i swear your could hear the slates on the roof vibrate. I could change them all over in the dark, which is a lot harder than it sounds. How my Missus never divorced me is nothing short of a miracle, perhaps it was all the holidays they paid for! :laugh:

I remember being wary of ordering videos for fear of being ripped off, and being this was before I had a bank account it was money through the post for me also at first. With Rob writing for PS, I thought that if he ripped me off I would whine and rat him out in PS! Extremely laughable in hindsight as Rob was awesome.

This. I used EXACTLY the same logic when I started buying off Rob - even down to the 'I could get him back through PS if he ripped me off' train of thought. Pretty sure the 1st thing I bought off him was ECWs 'The Night The Line Was Crossed'. I honestly dont think I would have ever started watching Puro has Rob not sold it either. I only used Rob. Think I got a list or 2 off Glen Radford but I dont think I ever bought anything off him.

Once Rob sold his business on I started buying off some lad in Wales (cant remember his name but I think he was also the guy who used to distribute the Wrestling Observer until Mo Chatra took over) - he started out really strongly but got pretty bad by the time I stopped buying off him/he stopped trading.

I remember being wary of ordering videos for fear of being ripped off, and being this was before I had a bank account it was money through the post for me also at first. With Rob writing for PS, I thought that if he ripped me off I would whine and rat him out in PS! Extremely laughable in hindsight as Rob was awesome.

This. I used EXACTLY the same logic when I started buying off Rob - even down to the 'I could get him back through PS if he ripped me off' train of thought. Pretty sure the 1st thing I bought off him was ECWs 'The Night The Line Was Crossed'. I honestly dont think I would have ever started watching Puro has Rob not sold it either. I only used Rob. Think I got a list or 2 off Glen Radford but I dont think I ever bought anything off him.

Once Rob sold his business on I started buying off some lad in Wales (cant remember his name but I think he was also the guy who used to distribute the Wrestling Observer until Mo Chatra took over) - he started out really strongly but got pretty bad by the time I stopped buying off him/he stopped trading.

Our minds must have strangely crossed paths at some point, as The Night the Line was Crossed was the first tape I bought off Rob also!

The guy from Wales was Anthony Howells; never used him myself but as you said he distributed the Observer before Mo and was also a trader under the guise of 'Shootfabe'. At one point there was a group of people who were banding together to try and take him to some sort of small claims court due to the fact that he had ripped so many people off. Don't know how it all ended up, maybe Mo does, and maybe after all these years Mo will enlighten us with what went down resulting in Howells getting sacked from his job with the Observer?

The guy from Wales was Anthony Howells; never used him myself but as you said he distributed the Observer before Mo and was also a trader under the guise of 'Shootfabe'. At one point there was a group of people who were banding together to try and take him to some sort of small claims court due to the fact that he had ripped so many people off. Don't know how it all ended up, maybe Mo does, and maybe after all these years Mo will enlighten us with what went down resulting in Howells getting sacked from his job with the Observer?

Thats the name. I have no idea what went wrong (and if anything was sorted in the long run) but it was a massive shame. When I first started dealing with him he was great. The quality of the observers could be a little hit or miss (but I think that was more due to them being bulk photocopies than anything else) but I dont recall any real issues with him at first. It just seemed to go very badly wrong at some point......

Archived