Rob Butcher or Glen Radford?

nfc90210

Im another who's first tape was the night the line was crossed from rob butcher aswell. Got a bunch of wcw tapes from him aswell before he was hit with the cease and desist letter from wwf that im sure all traders probabley got.

On the subject of "Cease & Desist", I got threatened with legal action from ITV Sports. Had to laugh, as the same guy who threatened me on behalf of ITV was the very same guy who flogged me the footage, "under the counter".

As mentioned previously, it is hard to imagine the lengths we went to. It"s all too easy today! My proud claim to fame is that on one particularly busy weekend, i managed to fill 3 postboxes up with videos! One of which was directly outside my wives workplace. It was not unusual for her customers to complain that they could not use the letterbox due to the "Lazy Royal Mail" never emptying it (Not true, sometimes i hit it 3 times a day!) :laugh:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first purchases I made were ECW Matter Of Respect 1996 & IWA Kawasaki Dream, my friend also bought Barely Legal at the same time but all 3 were delivered to mine so I got to watch them all off the belt.

When did Rob sell off GWI? I'm sure he was still in charge when I bought those which will of been 1997 time.

Kawasaki Dream King of the Death Match was the also the first tape I got off Rob, It had a random W*ING event on the end. I remember I was shit scarred of the Grave Digger guy on the W*ING event. Looked like a right nutter.

The first purchases I made were ECW Matter Of Respect 1996 & IWA Kawasaki Dream, my friend also bought Barely Legal at the same time but all 3 were delivered to mine so I got to watch them all off the belt.

When did Rob sell off GWI? I'm sure he was still in charge when I bought those which will of been 1997 time.

I think they took over from Rob early/mid 1998. No idea of the exact date but I can remember getting a phone call from GWI asking me if I wanted a copy of ECWs Heatwave 98 - I am fairly sure this was the 1st dealings I had with them.

Ahh, memories! :)

I always got Glen Radford's lists in the post, but I can't remember if I actually ever bought anything off him.

Rob, on the other hand, was the first trader I ever got stuff from in 1993 and a large chunk of whatever money I had went to him for a good few years. I can still remember the first tapes I got from - WCW / NJPW Supershows I & III. Awesome to be able to get that stuff at the time, as I'd never seen any of it before. I still remember absolutely marvelling at the lists and wishing I had more money. I think it was also him that got me hooked on 1994-96 ECW, which I was a HUGE mark for at the time.

Other people I dealt with in the early-mid 90s (see if these names ring any bells with anyone)....

* Darren Levy (still a friend to this day).

* Mark Allsopp (used to meet him in Nottingham to trade tapes).

* Rodric Williams from Guernsey, who I got some early ECW stuff from.

* Steve Pendle from Grimsby, who I got to know considerably better a decade later.

* Dean Ayass, who I also got to know considerably better a short time after trading.

I'm sure there are others, but the names escape me now. Can anyone else remember some others?

Kawasaki Dream King of the Death Match was the also the first tape I got off Rob, It had a random W*ING event on the end. I remember I was shit scarred of the Grave Digger guy on the W*ING event. Looked like a right nutter.

Yeah I remember the W*ING show at the end, had a Pibulls tag match on it and I think Sandman may of been on it as well. The main event was a coffin match with Leatherface against some guy I'm sure.

I remember the 1st Japanese tape I tried out was one of the best of JapTv videos, was October-Novemember 98 or Sep-Oct and I was blown away by the AJPW stuff. It had this awesome Kobashi/Misawa match on it and an equally good tag match but I cant remember everyone in it apart from Akira Taue.

Yeah I remember the W*ING show at the end, had a Pibulls tag match on it and I think Sandman may of been on it as well. The main event was a coffin match with Leatherface against some guy I'm sure.

Thats the one although I think the coffin match was Jason the Terrible Vs The Grave Digger.

I started off with GWI but must have seen Glen Radford advertised in Powerslam and then moved on to him not long after. Awful handwriting but great service.

Tried using Strongstyle once but never got my tapes or my money back for largish order so never touched them again.

Days of waiting for the next tape list to come through were great ones as it opened me up to many different styles/shows I had never seen or known about before. When I found out Glen did WCW stuff then that was just the icing on the cake.

When I found out Glen did WCW stuff then that was just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, it was pretty cool that Glen would continue to sell NWA and WCW stuff on the quiet (although clearly not that quiet as we all appear to be aware of it), even after all the cease and desist stuff.

Someone mentioned Rod Williams and I remember getting a catalogue through the post from him, which was pretty strange as I had never sent off for one from him. Guessing he slipped either Glen or Rob some cash do get a hold of their mailing list.

I used Glen alot and he never let me down. I remember getting his 500 page list and spent literally days going through it choosing what I wanted.

When ever I put a tape in the VCR I never knew what I would be watching as his writing on the tape was fucking shocking.

Archived