"I'm not racist but..."

PepperPlunge

It's a common phrase I hear in pub talk but I have a bit of a rant but I genuinely don't think it makes me racist. None of this is intended to cause offence - and I believe none of it will cause offence.

I absolutely cannot stand the flaunting, excess, lack of respect culture of rap music and hip hop music. Not all rap and hip hop music; I think hip hop (or is that R&B? How is modern hip hop music Rhythm & Blues?) tend to have less knobheads. I appreciate A Tribe Called Quest's music or Mos Def's for example because their music isn't flaunting the money they have/drugs they use/girls they fuck/cars they have/weapons they have/how hard they are. I fucking hate it. I hate the generic music video of the majority of black hip hop/rap artist featuring scantily clad girls dancing around poles/swimming pools whilst goons throw money at them and they rap near their mansion/cars. I can't relate to it at all and the thing that winds me up the most is that people seem to adore it. What is there to adore? I'd like to think this is a culture rant and nothing to do with race. There are white people who embrace this culture and I think they're twats too. Pitbull is an example that comes to my mind. Fuck, I love Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding to name a few for their music as they were genuine works of art. This is about the most incoherent rant I've had but I'd like to spill it off my chest to see if anyone agrees here and I'm not going mad. Of course, it's not just music artists that are subject to criticism but they're the ones poisoning the mainstream with it. I love Led Zeppelin. They have songs about drugs and songs about sex. But it's absolutely nowhere near as in-your-face and blatant as in modern times. How do lyrics like "I hear you're good with them soft lips, yeah you know, word of mouth. The square root of 69 is 8 something, right? Because I've been trying to work it out" air on daytime TV? And that's probably a tamer example. How do videos to Take A Picture by Ke$ha (dollar, excess) air on daytime TV? I know I sound like a very, very old man with all of this but I'm very stubborn with this opinion.

It's an extension of me absolutely hating our generation. These people may be good people in real life but what they're projecting is absolute vermin to me. Anyway, please give me some kind of counter-argument or tell me you agree.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modern hip-hop and R&B are fucking shit. And as I feel in the mood to stereotype, a lot of people that like these genres of music are thick as shit and/or ignorant. For example, I really can't stand metal or screamo music, but you never see a rocker or an emo sat at the back of the bus blazing it out of their shitty tinny sounding phone so that the whole bus has to suffer. You will however, always have some hooded/capped chav twat blazing whatever shit obnoxious noise they happen to be into our of their phone, much to the misfortune of everyone else.

• Paid Members

There was a black man at the back of the bus today playing rap/hip-hop on his phone, with the N-word clearly audible. No-one said a thing. Poor old Stuggie here steps on a 279 blasting a bit of Skrewdriver and I'm told to get off. :(

In all seriousness, it could be my favourite song of all time, but I'd rather not hear it murdered via the speaker on someone's mobile.

Putting aside the racial aspects of the initial post, I hate how stupid and materialistic people seem to be these days. We're living in an age where kids leave school unable to read, write or express themselves coherently, where people shun culture and learning to the point where they're proud to admit that they don't read books, where people read hideously distorted and biased articles in tabloid newspapers by the embodiments of evil Richard Littlejohn and Liz Jones and believe them to be true and where children are encouraged to idolise and imitate cunts like Jordan and Wayne Rooney. People now have the ability to live comfortably off of the state in exchange for squeezing out a couple of neglected and unloved children that'll grow up to become the illiterate criminal scum of the future. I know people who actually admit that they had children for the sole purpose of getting a free house and not having to work. I know people who have literally never done a single days work in their lives yet live a happier and more comfortable lifestyle than I do. For the average person things like houses, pensions and even families are luxuries that we'll never be able to afford, in order to even get a look in on the housing market I'd have to either quadruple my salary or save up forty or fifty grand to put down as a deposit, I'm one of the lucky ones, I've been saving since I was old enough to work but I know people who don't have a penny in savings who live from paycheque to paycheque.

I don't want to sound like a Daily Mail doom monger but I honestly believe that western civilization is irreparably fucked. People, generally speaking, are ignorant and selfish and seem to care about nothing other than themselves and what they think they're entitled to. Every time an election comes around we go out and vote for the least worst party, the party we hope will fuck us over the least and do the least amount of damage to the country. Here in the UK we have long working hours, few holidays and routinely top polls as the most unhappy people with one of the lowest quality of life statistics in Europe, is it really any wonder people go out on a Friday and a Saturday night and act like drunken savages?

Genuinely the first time I've heard someone start off by saying "I'm not a racist bit..." and then not be at all racist. Well done!

And I wholeheartedly agree about a lot of the rap these days having no redeeming qualities. However, Curt Hennig is wrong, not all rap is crap.

David Byrne in someone's sig - there's some musical talent. Odd, I was listening to Talking Heads minutes before posting this.

Now that you put our society like that, it gives an even bigger incentive to get out of this country. We're on a big downhill slide. I agree about the materialistic society. People are so detached from what's important in the world. I've got to admit that I'm no angel and I'm not as giving as I could be, that's not to say I'm a complete selfish arsehole.

Putting aside the racial aspects of the initial post, I hate how stupid and materialistic people seem to be these days. We're living in an age where kids leave school unable to read, write or express themselves coherently, where people shun culture and learning to the point where they're proud to admit that they don't read books, where people read hideously distorted and biased articles in tabloid newspapers by the embodiments of evil Richard Littlejohn and Liz Jones and believe them to be true and where children are encouraged to idolise and imitate cunts like Jordan and Wayne Rooney. People now have the ability to live comfortably off of the state in exchange for squeezing out a couple of neglected and unloved children that'll grow up to become the illiterate criminal scum of the future. I know people who actually admit that they had children for the sole purpose of getting a free house and not having to work. I know people who have literally never done a single days work in their lives yet live a happier and more comfortable lifestyle than I do. For the average person things like houses, pensions and even families are luxuries that we'll never be able to afford, in order to even get a look in on the housing market I'd have to either quadruple my salary or save up forty or fifty grand to put down as a deposit, I'm one of the lucky ones, I've been saving since I was old enough to work but I know people who don't have a penny in savings who live from paycheque to paycheque.

I don't want to sound like a Daily Mail doom monger but I honestly believe that western civilization is irreparably fucked. People, generally speaking, are ignorant and selfish and seem to care about nothing other than themselves and what they think they're entitled to. Every time an election comes around we go out and vote for the least worst party, the party we hope will fuck us over the least and do the least amount of damage to the country. Here in the UK we have long working hours, few holidays and routinely top polls as the most unhappy people with one of the lowest quality of life statistics in Europe, is it really any wonder people go out on a Friday and a Saturday night and act like drunken savages?

I absolutely love this post, and agree wholefartedly.

Consider this: We now carry around gadgets that can access the greatest information resource ever compiled in Human history, virtually every song, film or book is easily available with just a few button clicks, along with countless encyclopedias and learning resources. Despite all of this knowledge at our disposal along with the spectacular advances in the fields of medicine, science, linguistics, astronomy and technology there are still people willing to kill others for not believing in the same invisible sky fairy as them.

Eh, I like it well enough. I tend to compartmentalise the types of music I listen to: I'll listen to hip-hop or heavy rock when I'm working out, acoustic/soft rock stuff where you can actually listen to the lyrics when I'm chilling at home (also the sort of stuff I prefer playing myself), and R'n'B/rap when I'm out in town, or getting ready to go out in town.

I just personally tend to associate that type of music with good nights out - the sort of bars I like play that music, and the sort of lasses I go for tend to prefer those sort of bars. It's funny, I fucking hated dance music when I was a moody teen at school, but as soon as I began going out drinking and I'd hear the songs over and over in various bars while I was having a good time, I found I actually quite liked it. Similarly, I used to love indie music when I was around the same age, but anytime I've been dragged to an indie club by mates during my adult life I've found myself walking around with my nose in the air and a contemptuous look on my face like William Regal. I think I hate the emaciated, middle-class Skins crowd who like to pretend they're having it large slumming it with the plebs as much as the OP hates all the gaudy displays of avarice in the rap videos.

This sort of thing can also have the opposite effect, btw - I used to really like 'Brown Eyed Girl' and 'Don't Stop Me Now' when I was in my teens, but they've been fucking ruined for me.

Rap is crap but hiphop can still be great. That's the distinction I make. As the OP says, the outlook put forward by rap nowadays is reprehensible, and you'd better believe it has a profound influence on kids growing up listening to it, both boys AND girls. I was particularly disappointed when Missy started gyrating her ass in crossover tracks with major rap acts. I thought she had more class.

Rap was born from a disenchantment with the social disadvantages of being young and black in America. Now it's an aspiration for money and fame. It's fallen a long way.

• Paid Members

speaking of shit full of themselves "musicians" Katy Perry just came out with this cracker, proving that having a cracking rack is the only impressive aspect of her.

"Dear tabloid media aka FILTH: pls note I expressed an overall feeling bout product placement, their roles in vids & the art of them being

Yeah, Public Enemy for example were rapping about something real and much more worthwhile than sex, cars, how big schlong is etc.

Who's Missy? I really don't like Nicki Minaj. For one thing, she's apparently had arse implants and for another thing she's very smutty like Kesha. How is Bedrock on daytime TV? Who wants their kids singing that? And her faces in the video - again on daytime TV - over the top, orgasmic look in Bedrock's video. And yet everyone seems to love her. Urgh..

Also, believe me, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Skins but by going to an extreme of a teen's life (rather than focusing on, you know, nights in playing FIFA) they're creating more entertaining, sensational TV. It's the people who try to live up to that blown out of proportion image that boil my blood. Going to 'Skins parties' for example. And I see enough 'rebellious' toffs desperately wanting to seem working class and failing at Latitude festival. It's a small price to pay for a pretty decent festival.

Archived