Great Announcers

Super Cena

Okay, I won't lie - this is more of a glorified way for me to learn about some of our sport's greatest commentators and commentary teams than me genuinely kick starting this thread with a ton of my own knowledge, but here goes.

In the You Tube thread on here, a poster says that JR will never be replaced; Gordon Sollie is looked back on with great fondness and many believe him to be the greatest announcer of all time. You may think that Joey Styles was the greatest voice wrestling has ever seen.

This thread isn't soley aimed at past announcers - what do you think of the latest commentators? King, Cole, Tenay, Booker et al...

Name and link (You Tube or whatever) some great (or perhaps shambolic) examples of wrestling's commentators, past and present!

I genuinely cannot see how Jim Ross can ever be bettered - he was the best announcer at a time when there was the best material to commentate on. His voice was the backdrop of all the great moments during the biggest boom in wrestling.

I genuinely cannot see how Jim Ross can ever be bettered - he was the best announcer at a time when there was the best material to commentate on. His voice was the backdrop of all the great moments during the biggest boom in wrestling.

I'd agree with this too. I especially enjoyed his partnership with Heyman, the two bounced off each other perfectly.

As a play by play, yes, Jim Ross was the best, and it will be tough to better him, but as a pairing? Monsoon and Heenan had the ultimate in chemistry. They were cliched cartoon characters, just like the wrestlers at the time, and they played it exactly as they should have. WILL YOU STOP!

A quick Youtube search finds this... Wrestlemania 8 Monsoon/Heenan

Race Vs Flair: Starrcade '83

This is a great example of Solie's straight laced announcing style, added great legitimacy to matches and in this case, great importance to a world title match.

As a play by play, yes, Jim Ross was the best, and it will be tough to better him, but as a pairing? Monsoon and Heenan had the ultimate in chemistry. They were cliched cartoon characters, just like the wrestlers at the time, and they played it exactly as they should have. WILL YOU STOP!

A quick Youtube search finds this... Wrestlemania 8 Monsoon/Heenan

"I'm a broadcast journalist!" - Heenan

Great find rocky lad, gave my memory a jolt. As an aside to this, somewhat similar to JBL & Cole, only difference being that Heenan had a fantastic sense of self-deprication that allowed him to play the biased heel so well.

I always loved the Monsoon / Ventura partnership at Wrestlemanias - it just added to the event. McMahon and Ventura on SNME was also awesome as Ventura really did come out with some classic put-downs!

It was such a shame that when Ventura left they had no-one to replace him as stuff like Survivor Series 1990 was shite with Piper / McMahon just praising the faces with no funny lines.

Jesse Ventura: Great powerful voice, articulate, witty, his 'tale of the tape' of Hogan vs Andre at Mania 3 was great

Superstar Billy Graham: Not the best but Summerslam 88 was the first wrestling I saw so his commentery comes with the memories (if that makes sense)

JR: Obvious reasons.

Recent ones

Stryker (sometimes) CM Punk (short but good) Josh Mattews (not sure why, growing on me)

• Paid Members

Josh Matthews has alays been a favourite of mine, and seeing him on RAW against a heel Cole has been a highlight for me.

But he certainly deserves the place on Smackdown over Todd Grisham.

Grisham is unberable sometimes. He is a great interview guy, but I much prefer Matthews calling Smackdown.

Archived