John Cena

Vito

John Cena gets a lot of hate and to be fair the vast majority of it is pretty justifiable, as far as characters go Cena is incredibly stale; aside from a palette change he's worn the exact same outfit for years and has entered and departed from the ring to the same theme song. In terms of ring ability Cena is repetitive and predictable and his promos are for the most part cringe-inducing. Cena is undoubtedly a company man through and through, seemingly willing to do, wear and say anything he's told to regardless of how moronic it may be. But one thing Cena never seems to get credit for is his refreshing willingness to put people over, have you ever heard of Cena refusing to do a job? Hogan constantly refused to put people over, Austin refused to put people over, Mysterio refused to put people over, HHH was absolutely detested for years for refusing to put people over, but to my knowledge Cena has never had a problem lying down for anyone. Cena is the figurehead of the WWE in the same way that Hogan and Austin once were but unlike those guys John Cena has continually put over younger talent and has remained a consistently popular and believable main eventer.

So, is John Cena the most selfless WWE main eventer of all time?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hogan and Austin were pretty selfless. They paid for thousands of WWF's employees homes and put those employees kids through college due to fucking their bodies up on the road and drawing more money than anyone for years on end. That was nice of them.

Oh, and did the Rock not exist? Or Mick Foley?

Hogan put over the Warrior and the Undertaker in his first WWF stint, the Giant and Goldberg in WCW.

Austin put over the Rock and HHH, and had a good run against Angle during the invasion stint. Angle's win in Pittsburgh was probably his most memorable WWF title to my memory.

Oh and Jericho winning the undisputed title?

*BEWARE RUMBLE SPOILERS*

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'm guessing you ignored the rumble then? After destroying Wade Barretts version of Nexus he's now single handedly destroyed Punks version of them by eliminating every one of them from the Rumble. Its the typical Cena bullshit time after time again. He'll no sell injuries just like the Undertaker and appear a week later from a career threatening injury and he'll defy the odds against everyone worse then Triple H. He's worse then anyone I've ever known at not putting people over.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
While I'm not calling Cena selfish, what young talent has he put over cleanly recently? A serious question - I genuinely can't think of any.

Nexus.

Has he put over ANY of them in a meaningful, clean way? I don't think so personally. You certainly couldn't say he's "continually putting over young talent."

An argument could be made for Cena being one of the most dedicated main eventers ever, but I don't think you could really call him "unselfish."

As I said, I'm not calling him selfish by any means, but I can't think of any young talent he's cleanly laid down for since moving to RAW. At some stage he probably has let some new face pin him cleanly, I just can't think who.

While I'm not calling Cena selfish, what young talent has he put over cleanly recently? A serious question - I genuinely can't think of any.

Nexus.

Has he put over ANY of them in a meaningful, clean way? I don't think so personally. You certainly couldn't say he's "continually putting over young talent."

An argument could be made for Cena being one of the most dedicated main eventers ever, but I don't think you could really call him "unselfish."

As I said, I'm not calling him selfish by any means, but I can't think of any young talent he's cleanly laid down for since moving to RAW. At some stage he probably has let some new face pin him cleanly, I just can't think who.

How about Sheamus then? He had only been on Raw for a month, until Cena gave them the green light to have Sheamus beat him for the title. He then lost it again to him in June at Fatal 4 Way, and then got pinned the following month by him at Money In The Bank. I think he put him over pretty well, he created Raw's first new successful main eventer since Orton in 2007.

• Paid Members

Nexus.

How about Sheamus then? He had only been on Raw for a month, until Cena gave them the green light to have Sheamus beat him for the title. He then lost it again to him in June at Fatal 4 Way, and then got pinned the following month by him at Money In The Bank. I think he put him over pretty well, he created Raw's first new successful main eventer since Orton in 2007.

Technically he created Wade Barrett too, but I don't think either of them ever cleanly pinned him, did they? Again, I'm not blaming Cena for this or calling him selfish. I just genuinely don't remember a non-established/up-and-coming wrestler pinning him cleanly.

Nexus.

Technically he created Wade Barrett too, but I don't think either of them ever cleanly pinned him, did they? Again, I'm not blaming Cena for this or calling him selfish. I just genuinely don't remember a non-established/up-and-coming wrestler pinning him cleanly.

I suppose he has an image to protect, perhaps they are afraid that Cena's fan's will stop "believing" in him, thus stop buying his merchandise if a someone beats him fairly). I guess they would only have him loose cleanly to someone of equal or mopre popularity like Hulk Hogan was with The Ultimate Warrior. The only two I can think of that were possible is The Undertaker and Rey Mysterio (who are on their way out and are obviously established anyway), and the other is Jeff Hardy in 2008/9.

Archived