John Cena

Vito

I do not think its fair, all this CENA hate its unreal. John Cena is just a employee and hes told what to do and how to do it. John is told when to talk, eat, sleep, shit like many other employees. Don't hate the player hate the game (not HHH either).

No one is hating on Cena in this thread, but I agree that in general the Cena haters are annoying. But John Cena is this era's Hulk Hogan, he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to. He might go along with most things as he is a company man, and is mates with the McMahons, but if he did everything that was suggested, then he wouldn't be where he's at today. He has to express himself and protect his character for the company's sake and for his own, if he doesn't like an angle that was planned in a meeting, he can get it changed becuase he is that valuable.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I'm not calling Cena selfish, what young talent has he put over cleanly recently? A serious question - I genuinely can't think of any.

Nexus.

How did Cena put over Nexus? He's shit all over them on every occasion and made them come across as complete jobbers.

He also no sells DDT's to the concrete. Sorry, at least Triple H in his "selfish" days of 2000/1/2 did way better than that.

• Paid Members
Plus I think there's merit to argue that low ratings are partly BECAUSE of stale superstars/feuds like John Cena on the RAW brand.

So your thinking is, improving the ratings would be to just remove him from the show all together? He's the company's biggest star, no matter what your preference on his ability in the ring. The initial Nexus storyline certainly wasnt stale. Neither was the Batista feud last year. The Cena/CM Punk angle is pretty good as well. In fact, he's done some good stuff the last 12 months. Using Cena as an example of stale feuds isn't really relevent. He's had a good year.

I'm not arguing that, nor am I disputing his ability in the ring (check a few posts back if you don't believe me) but his character is pretty stale, as is his role on the RAW brand. Perhaps you have a good suggestion on how to freshen the Cena character up, I don't know. I just think this is potentially a beneficial way to use the guy for all parties. It's not like he's leaving the company, he's moving to another brandthat also airs on an NBC Universal network. It's not going to harm merchandise sales, and I really don't think it'll damage the RAW rating either. However, I don't think anyone would even argue that it'd benefit the Smackdown rating.

Someone said earlier that they tried moving Triple H to Smackdown for a year and it didn't work. Well, for one it was on a lesser network, and while I'd not ever argue that Triple H isn't a big star, I don't think he really has the same power to change ratings that Cena does.

RAW would still have R-Truth and Santino to keep the kids happy, Triple H, Orton, The Miz, Sheamus, Punk, they could have Undertaker or Edge, Big Show, Wade Barrett, Booker T, Diesel maybe...there ARE options, and I think WWE could create two strong, fresh rosters given some thought.

I do not think its fair, all this CENA hate its unreal. John Cena is just a employee and hes told what to do and how to do it. John is told when to talk, eat, sleep, shit like many other employees. Don't hate the player hate the game (not HHH either).

Almost none of that is true. Cena isn't an employee, and he has more than enough clout to do pretty much whatever he likes. And I don't know what job you do, but I've never been told when to shit by any boss I've ever had.

• Paid Members

Almost none of that is true. Cena isn't an employee, and he has more than enough clout to do pretty much whatever he likes. And I don't know what job you do, but I've never been told when to shit by any boss I've ever had.

I doubt Cena would ever be difficult though, to be fair.

And as far as unselfishness goes, rather than bury wrestlers he's always very positive about other roster members, unlike, reportedly, Orton. Cena admitted in an interview, for example, that he pushed for Evan Bourne to get a push, telling the creative team they were missing a trick by not doing just that. He used his clout for the works of good there, not selfishness and he didn't need to do anything like that at all. When Daniel Bryan got fired he was quite vocal about it and offered to sign any petition for the guy to get his job back.

I've also heard him praise the likes of Kofi Kingston, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, John Morrison, Cryme Tyme...he just seems to be an all round positive, hard working, unselfish nice guy.

Of course, it may well be that behind the scenes he's a right diva, but it certainly doesn't seem that way.

It's not like he's leaving the company, he's moving to another brandthat also airs on an NBC Universal network. It's not going to harm merchandise sales, and I really don't think it'll damage the RAW rating either.

Good for you. But chances are you're wrong, and you'd never be able to convince bean-counters that you're right. Plus, as you've already been told several times and ignored, Smackdown on Friday nights when most people are out isn't the priority that Raw on Monday nights is. Nobody wants both shows doing the same 2.5 ratings. Raw is the flagship on the better timeslot and network. There'd be trouble if it was doing the same numbers as a smaller, niche channel Friday night show. Bolstering Raw and PPV numbers is a priority, SyFy isn't even close.

Of course, it may well be that behind the scenes he's a right diva, but it certainly doesn't seem that way.

Nobody said he did. I was just addressing the "he duz wot hez told like wen2shit lyk all rest of us lol" nonsense. It's stupid to think he doesn't have any power over his career. He's not Darren Young, despite appearances. He's the biggest star in wrestling, there's very little of his own creative direction that he couldn't overturn if he wanted to.

• Paid Members
I doubt Cena would ever be difficult though, to be fair.

I remember reading that he didn't want to work with Kennedy and was one of the group who spoke up about wanting WWE to sack him. Kennedy's contract was up a few months ago as well, and WWE supposedly has him on "the black list", because Cena, Orton and Triple H cant stand him. I'm sure he's not an angel. Thats not a criticism, because I bet there's plenty out to stick the knife in him. But I doubt anyone is getting one over on him when it comes to someone trying to grab his spot. Things arent always what they seem. I used to think Hulk Hogan never touched steriods until he went to Vince's trial.

• Paid Members

I don't know about selfless. I think he's the least self-interested and least political main eventer they've ever had. While I'm sure that is something to do with Cena's personality, I'm sure it's equally just a natural result of WWE's monopoly and this being the first batch of main event stars to grow up in a company where you do as you are told or you fuck off and work somewhere else for less money and less fame.

• Paid Members
Good for you. But chances are you're wrong, and you'd never be able to convince bean-counters that you're right. Plus, as you've already been told several times and ignored, Smackdown on Friday nights when most people are out isn't the priority that Raw on Monday nights is. Nobody wants both shows doing the same 2.5 ratings. Raw is the flagship on the better timeslot and network. There'd be trouble if it was doing the same numbers as a smaller, niche channel Friday night show. Bolstering Raw and PPV numbers is a priority, SyFy isn't even close.

On Friday nights the show is less of a priority, but I'm pretty sure I said in my original post a Cena move AND a move of nights could boost the brand dramatically. The Tuesday night live special really led to a ratings increase, and fair enough it was on USA and also was live, but I'm pretty sure the change of night had something to do with the boost too.

I remember reading that he didn't want to work with Kennedy and was one of the group who spoke up about wanting WWE to sack him. Kennedy's contract was up a few months ago as well, and WWE supposedly has him on "the black list", because Cena, Orton and Triple H cant stand him. I'm sure he's not an angel. Thats not a criticism, because I bet there's plenty out to stick the knife in him. But I doubt anyone is getting one over on him when it comes to someone trying to grab his spot. Things arent always what they seem. I used to think Hulk Hogan never touched steriods until he went to Vince's trial.

Actually, I remember reading that too. Didn't Cena get injured by Kennedy? If he felt his well-being was at risk from wrestling the guy I can kind of understand him. He's never been shy from handing out praise, I can give him that much credit.

It's a shame things did pan out for Kennedy the way they did in WWE, he could have been a pretty big star for them. But he screwed himself over just as much as others might have, he was pencilled for several high profile pushes only to cock them up for himself. Cena may have had a hand in his eventual release, I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet Kennedy was even more to blame for that eventual happening.

• Paid Members
And I don't know what job you do, but I've never been told when to shit by any boss I've ever had.

One of the many reasons never to work in telesales.

to be fair to cena he made punk look very dangerous and on his level in their match a couple of weeks ago. Punk almost looked like the one who was going to get the win.

to be fair to cena he made punk look very dangerous and on his level in their match a couple of weeks ago. Punk almost looked like the one who was going to get the win.

Punk did get the win.

haha, that genuinely made me laugh.

Ive made my feelings and my defences of Cena made clear on this forum before so Im not going to get drawn into another argument with the morons who believe that perfect execution of a move is what pro-wrestling is about. Cena works harder for that company than anyone else and his 'Superman' act may not be for everyone but it absoloutely captivates a live crowd to the point that even the people who are 'too smart/too cool' to cheer for him forget that they are 'supposed' to be booing him.

queue ajmcstyles with his ritual misguided Cena hate.

Archived