World Snooker Shoot Out

kev2050

I watch Snooker every now and then, and do quite enjoy the traditional games.

Sky are now promoting Snooker in a new format to try and bring in a younger audience.

From what I can tell so far, games are 10 minutes long. In the first 5 minutes, a shot must be taken every 20 seconds, then for the last 5 minutes it's every 15 seconds. If you're too slow, it costs you 5 points and a ball in hand.

I don't know, but after the first round, do games get any longer? Best of 3/5/7 etc?

I think it's quite good, but I think it could attract more people if it had more of the party atmosphere darts does. Get tables and a bar involved, and allow and encourage talking/chanting when the game is being played.

I have no idea who could win this type of game, I know Ronnie can play fast. Who's the favourites?

So is this better than traditional snooker, or ruining the game?

I think its a load of shit personally.

People shouting because they can and for the sake of it, the voiceovers as if they are on a gameshow, all seems a bit rushed and a fuckabout. I understand they want to change it to appeal to new/young fans but it looks like no one gives a shit and just come to get there money (

• Paid Members

Power Snooker was awful. I can see what Barry Hearn is trying to do by having a go at all these different formats to try and find something that sits as a nice alternative to the traditional version. But I'd rather he stick with one idea and run with it for a while and not try and change too many things at once.

Aye like Gatso said, the thing that annoyed me the most was the idiots in the crowd just shouting and stuff because they could. At some points it was just random shouting, and someone potted an easy pot and a few of the crowd went mental, it really put me off.

It's a decent idea in principle, and hopefully in time the idiots in the crowd will get bored and not come, but I had to switch it off last night cause it was doing my head in.

• Paid Members

I read the title and got the stupid idea that there was a shooting at a snooker competition.

'He's been sinking them all afternoon - Steve Davis is gunning down everybody. And it appears he's in league with John Virgo, who is reportedly egging him on to "Pop as many fools as you can".'

:/

It's a bit shit, but thankfully not as bad as that Power Snooker the other week that had Joe Davis spinning in his grave. This is basically a 10 minute game of Snooker-none of that double points nonsense or other shit that PS had, but with 9-ball Pool rules. A lag to decide the break, ball in hand for any foul, and that you have to pot a ball or hit a cushion.

Like I said, it's not good, but moderately better than Power Snooker. But then I'd rather watch a proper game of snooker or 9-ball than this.

It's terrible. The whole party vibe works for Darts but no matter how hard Barry Hearn tries it I reckon Snooker will always look creepy trying to do the same thing. It's like coming home and finding your dad playing Halo with your mates or something.

And that sci fi arena voice over is absoloutely hysterical.

Aye like Gatso said, the thing that annoyed me the most was the idiots in the crowd just shouting and stuff because they could. At some points it was just random shouting, and someone potted an easy pot and a few of the crowd went mental, it really put me off.

I think I'd prefer it if it was more full of idiots. A cheer for every ball going in would be good. The Voiceover and countdown sound really shit. Seems most peple think it's shit then.

It's got its good bits and bad bits. As said, the voiceover is odd, the cheering for the sake of making some noise. But at the same time, it's something a bit different and I quite like the format. They were never going to get it right first time.

• Paid Members

I watch snooker every now and then, mainly closer around the World Championships. I think Hearn is a bit of a muppet personally. to drum up interest I'd spend more time trying to market and promote some of the better players. Back in the 80's for instance, they were like rockstars, proper household names and some brilliant characters to boot. You do see some good characters these days of course, but they don't have the prominence they once did.

The game itself, I personally love playing it and watching it (My highest break is an excellent 34! Who's the daddy?) but I can understand how it might be boring to the casual/non-clued in spectator. I dont really know how you'd improve the game in that respect. Heck, get some trick shots on the go for during the mid-session intervals! Wheel out Dennis Taylor and John Virgo from the commentry box and just let them showboat for a bit.

The problems is there just aren't the 'characters' in the game, Ronnie is the rock star and when he goes out the casual viewers tend not to give a shit. Someone like Mark Selby is similar but thats about it. Nobody is going to casually tune into Neil Robertson.

My main problem with the new snooker shoot out was what they were wearing. Why can't they just wear what they usually do?

Archived