House Buying Vs House Renting

Max Power

Yes to buying. Renting is just throwing your money away. HOWEVER, If you have not lived with your girlfried before I would suggest that you rent. Afterall, what happens if you buy a place together and find out that you can't stand living together? Much easier to rent first and see if you work together, then buy later if everything works out ok.

• Paid Members
Yes to buying. Renting is just throwing your money away. HOWEVER, If you have not lived with your girlfried before I would suggest that you rent. Afterall, what happens if you buy a place together and find out that you can't stand living together? Much easier to rent first and see if you work together, then buy later if everything works out ok.

oh yeh, listen to that! the boy who owns the house i live in originally bought the place with his girlfriend (first time living together), it all went tits up and she left. Lots of fucking hassle, financial problems, a totally fucked up situation...you don't be wanting any of that.

Currently going through roughly the same situation.

Saving a deposit with the Mrs. We've been saving for roughly 6 months now, been together for 4 years living between our parents houses but most recently as her parents house. Compatability is key. Currently have in the region of 10k looking to save 15k total as a deposit. Yes it's annoying looking at her mother all night but it's the only option currently.

Regards renting don't do it, it's dead money. Save as much as possible, in the region of 15% of your mortgage total, the more the better as the more you put down the better interest rate you'll get. Even a 0.1 difference can make a difference over a 30 year mortgage for example. A thing that shocked me when initially looking for a mortgage is just how little you pay off initially. For example the one we're looking at will cost us

• Paid Members

Me and my wife-to-be are currently buying a place. We've been staying at my mum's place which is not ideal but at least we know what it's like to live together, albeit not alone.

Because we both have a fairly sketchy credit history (though we have busted ass to sort that out in the last four years) we've had to get a 15% deposit which is frankly bullshit to expect of first time buyers. Fortunately, her dad came into some money just before Christmas and is sending a massive chunk our way. Unfortunately I have to know that without the smarmy bastard helping us, we wouldn't be buying a place.

Although it achieved a promise I made to myself years ago to never rent, so I'm happy about that.

The place we're getting is a repossession which sucks for the old occupants obviously but has got us into a 3 bedroom house with a brand new and massive kitchen/diner and fair sized bedrooms and gardens for

Thanks for all this gents.

I agree that buying is preferrable, its just the saving that can be a pain in the arse. But I suppose that's a fact of life these days. The aim is to reach 15k as quickly as possible, like TNAInception suggested. We should be ok with the repayments, as we have a pretty good combined income, its just the initial deposit that's a ballache.

Cheers.

Best suggestion.

If you can rent for say a year or two and save as much as you can to buy your own place, then by the same you have saved up you will know if you both can live together rather than go through all the hassle of buying and things not working out and things getting messy.

Me and my wife-to-be are currently buying a place. We've been staying at my mum's place which is not ideal but at least we know what it's like to live together, albeit not alone.

Because we both have a fairly sketchy credit history (though we have busted ass to sort that out in the last four years) we've had to get a 15% deposit which is frankly bullshit to expect of first time buyers. Fortunately, her dad came into some money just before Christmas and is sending a massive chunk our way. Unfortunately I have to know that without the smarmy bastard helping us, we wouldn't be buying a place.

Although it achieved a promise I made to myself years ago to never rent, so I'm happy about that.

The place we're getting is a repossession which sucks for the old occupants obviously but has got us into a 3 bedroom house with a brand new and massive kitchen/diner and fair sized bedrooms and gardens for

• Paid Members

It was just advertised in a local estate agents. The catch is that they can't take it off the market until it's completely signed and sealed so someone could come in higher than us and we're back to square one. Though they did have it on hold for someone else for weeks but he couldn't get a mortgage so they've now said they will be telling people it's sold so they can finally get pizzaid for it.

I'm happy to spend a couple of years there (it happens to be right around the corner from my best mate's place), do a bit of work and then see what it's really worth.

If you can buy, but be careful and have something written up between you. When i first bought we was together for 6 years prior to buying and 3 months after she packed her bags and had gone before i got home from work. Although i was paying the mortgage she had put money in and with the big jump in the housing market in 2001 in the 3 months it cost me

• Paid Members

Def buy. Mortgage repayments aren't much different than rent, and in some cases lower (of course, it all depends on area- quite literally every town is different).

But I would suggest saving as much as possible for your deposit, even if it takes you a few years. In the long run, that extra amount you'd saved over a few years will give you a wider selection of property to purchase, lower repayments and possibly lower rates.

Archived