"White girls seen as 'easy meat' by Pakistani rapists

David

But Jack Straw! What the fuck was he thinking?!?

The former home secretary Jack Straw has been accused of stereotyping Pakistani men in Britain after he accused some of them as regarding white girls as "easy meat" for sexual abuse.

The Blackburn MP spoke out after two Asian men who raped and sexually assaulted girls in Derby were given indefinite jail terms.

Straw said there was a "specific problem" in some areas of the country where Pakistani men "target vulnerable young white girls".

His comments were criticised by Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons home affairs select committee, who said it was wrong to "stereotype a whole community".

Yesterday Mohammed Liaqat, 28, and Abid Saddique, 27, were jailed at Nottingham crown court after being found guilty at a trial in November of charges including rape.

The judge in the case said he did not believe the crimes were "racially aggravated", adding that the race of the victims and their abusers was "coincidental".

Speaking on the BBC's Newsnight programme yesterday, Straw said: "Pakistanis, let's be clear, are not the only people who commit sexual offences, and overwhelmingly the sex offenders' wings of prisons are full of white sex offenders.

"But there is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men ... who target vulnerable young white girls.

"We need to get the Pakistani community to think much more clearly about why this is going on and to be more open about the problems that are leading to a number of Pakistani heritage men thinking it is OK to target white girls in this way."

Straw called on the British Pakistani community to be "more open" about the issue. "These young men are in a western society, in any event, they act like any other young men, they're fizzing and popping with testosterone, they want some outlet for that, but Pakistani heritage girls are off-limits and they are expected to marry a Pakistani girl from Pakistan, typically," he said.

"So they then seek other avenues and they see these young women, white girls who are vulnerable, some of them in care ... who they think are easy meat.

"And because they're vulnerable they ply them with gifts, they give them drugs, and then of course they're trapped."

Vaz, the Labour MP for Leicester East, told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: "I disagree with Jack Straw ... I don't think you can stereotype an entire community. What you can do is look at the facts of these national cases, give it to an agency, make a proper investigation and see how we can deal with these networks of people who are involved in this horrendous crime.

"One can accept the evidence that is put before us about patterns of networks but to go that step further is pretty dangerous."

Vaz told Sky News: "I don't think we can make that jump necessarily to it being a cultural problem ... We want an investigation that has no fear or favour to any community. But it is important that we get this into context."

Saddique was jailed for at least 11 years while Liaqat will be locked up for at least eight years. The pair were the ringleaders of a gang that groomed and abused girls aged from 12 to 18.

The sentences were passed down a day after the prime minister, David Cameron, said "cultural sensitivities" should not hinder police action in such cases.

Six other men had already been sentenced for their part in the abuse, investigated in Operation Retriever, led by Derbyshire police.

The Barnardo's chief executive, Martin Narey, said the case was more about vulnerable children of all races who were at risk from abuse. Street grooming was "probably happening in most towns and cities" and was not confined to the Pakistani community.

"I certainly don't think this is a Pakistani thing. My staff would say that there is an over-representation of people from minority ethnic groups

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Im not sure he means it in a terribly racist way, but it doesnt come across very well. In all fairness though, i know a lot of white girls that are very easy, which is very very sad, as half of them are allright when they're not being complete slags about town.

He's not saying 'ALL pakistani men' are sex offenders, nor is he saying it is limited to Pakistani men.

Its touchy as it has to deal with race, but he should not be stopped from saying what he said. Whether you agree with it or not, what he says isn't racist.

• Paid Members
He's not saying 'ALL pakistani men' are sex offenders, nor is he saying it is limited to Pakistani men.

Its touchy as it has to deal with race, but he should not be stopped from saying what he said. Whether you agree with it or not, what he says isn't racist.

fucking hell mate don't bring confusing logic in this, I was about to get ready to burn him at the stake for this moral outrage... either way this will largely go unoticed with more giving a shit about the Eastenders Cot Death/Marx Brothers homage and outrageeeeee.

• Paid Members

fucking hell mate don't bring confusing logic in this, I was about to get ready to burn him at the stake for this moral outrage... either way this will largely go unoticed with more giving a shit about the Eastenders Cot Death/Marx Brothers homage and outrageeeeee.

Well they're talking about it on Radio 1.

I think the real question here should be whether there's any truth to his comments? If there is then really there is little wrong with what he said and perhaps it does need to be addressed.

I agree that there's nothing massively wrong with what he said, the problem is it's coming from the man who was Foreign Secretary when we decided to go and murder a million muslims. His words ring hollow and come across as racist and inflammatory when that fact is taken into consideration. Just like his (accurate) point that veils are shit.

• Paid Members

Would it have helped were he not a white (Jewish) man?

I happen to agree with Straw's comment, that there is a problem in the attitudes of some people from that particular background (which I think is manifest in not only attitudes to sex but to women in general).

My (white) friend in Halifax has been in a relationship with a girl (Asian-British, Pakistani heritage) from Bradford for over a year. It's a secret relationship because of the reaction expected from her brother and cousins to the news that she dare go with a white man.

She was telling me recently that her brother has been seeing a white girl, so I asked her whether now might be a time to test the waters. It turned out that she already had; he explained that he only goes with white girls because they're "sluts", and he has no intention of marrying a girl who's not muslim. He added that she (and the boyfriend) would be in trouble if she ever went with a white man. He and their cousins share the same attitude.

I haven't asked her but I'm sure she would agree with Straw's statement that "Pakistanis, let's be clear, are not the only people who commit sexual offences, and overwhelmingly the sex offenders' wings of prisons are full of white sex offenders. But there is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men ... "

• Paid Members

I agree that there's nothing massively wrong with what he said, the problem is it's coming from the man who was Foreign Secretary when we decided to go and murder a million muslims. His words ring hollow and come across as racist and inflammatory when that fact is taken into consideration. Just like his (accurate) point that veils are shit.

Sensationalism~

Would it have helped were he not a white (Jewish) man?

I happen to agree with Straw's comment, that there is a problem in the attitudes of some people from that particular background (which I think is manifest in not only attitudes to sex but to women in general).

My (white) friend in Halifax has been in a relationship with a girl (Asian-British, Pakistani heritage) from Bradford for over a year. It's a secret relationship because of the reaction expected from her brother and cousins to the news that she dare go with a white man.

She was telling me recently that her brother has been seeing a white girl, so I asked her whether now might be a time to test the waters. It turned out that she already had; he explained that he only goes with white girls because they're "sluts", and he has no intention of marrying a girl who's not muslim. He added that she (and the boyfriend) would be in trouble if she ever went with a white man. He and their cousins share the same attitude.

I haven't asked her but I'm sure she would agree with Straw's statement that "Pakistanis, let's be clear, are not the only people who commit sexual offences, and overwhelmingly the sex offenders' wings of prisons are full of white sex offenders. But there is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men ... "

Good post, also tell your friend to watch his back if shit hits the fan if the brother & co. find out.

• Paid Members
Good post, also tell your friend to watch his back if shit hits the fan if the brother & co. find out.

The brother's already mentioned that if a white boyfriend ever came along then he'd get petrol poured through his letterbox. He didn't mention anything about matches, but the message was clear in the delivery.

It's a frightening position to be in. There's no reasoning to be had, and no point going to the police ahead of coming out; it wouldn't stop whatever recriminations from happening, and the fact that the police would have an idea after the event of where to look would be scant consolation to a dead man.

The brother's already mentioned that if a white boyfriend ever came along then he'd get petrol poured through his letterbox. He didn't mention anything about matches, but the message was clear in the delivery.

It's a frightening position to be in. There's no reasoning to be had, and no point going to the police ahead of coming out; it wouldn't stop whatever recriminations from happening, and the fact that the police would have an idea after the event of where to look would be scant consolation to a dead man.

Exactly, when it comes to 'honour' and 'saving face' some people will do just about anything to justify it.

Archived