NED's - New Peter Mullan Movie

David

NEDS.jpg

This movie is picking up some rave reviews, and it's due to hit cinemas this month.

It seems strange to travel all the way to Canada to watch a Scottish film but when the film is as good as Peter Mullan's Neds then no journey is too long. Neds received its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival this weekend and is a blistering portrait of a teenager coming of age in the Glasgow of the 1970s.

Mullan has described the film as " personal but not autobiographical" but there is the sting of truth in his account of a shy, bookish, Catholic Boy bullied and seduced into embracing the culture of violence and tribalism that surrounds him and starts to define his expectations of life.

The film is violent, foul-mouthed and filled with painfully funny moments, moving from chilling menace to raucous hilarity in a heartbeat. Mullan and his ace production team achieve a spot-on recreation of the way we were from the wallpaper to the facial hair, the clothes and the pop culture references - T. Rex on the soundtrack, Robinson Crusoe on the tea time television. It never feels obtrusive but does feels true to the memory. The centre of the film is a charismatic, star-making performance from Conor McCarron as the young man suffocated by an education system unable to nurture him, a household living in the shadow of his alcoholic father and a culture more likely to celebrate a throbbing knife scar than a glowing school report.

Exploring class prejudice, religion, peer pressure and so much more, Neds is a brilliantly compelling piece of drama from Peter Mullan that is currently scheduled to open in Britain at the beginning of January 2011.

Make a note in the diary now.

Here's the movie

It's got the makings of a classic.

Cheers for the link to the trailer. Looking forward to this, I love what I've seen of Mullan's work. Never knew what Neds was an acronym for until now, either!

If you like the look of this, you really should give

a look.

Just A Boys Game is excellent, and portrays the 1970's streetlife of Glasgow brilliantly. The whole thing is on Youtube in parts.

• Paid Members
Cheers for the link to the trailer. Looking forward to this, I love what I've seen of Mullan's work. Never knew what Neds was an acronym for until now, either!

If you like the look of this, you really should give

a look.

Just A Boys Game is excellent, and portrays the 1970's streetlife of Glasgow brilliantly. The whole thing is on Youtube in parts.

Approximately 80% of everything one of my mates says is a quote from Just A Boys Game. Really great film.

Archived