Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Mario RPG had the benefit of Square being involved. I started playing an emulated version, but the save states never worked properly with it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

@FLipsthere's a great fan translated ROM of Bare Knuckle 3 out there that shows us what we could have had if it wasn't for Sega of America deciding the game was too easy, the plot was too controversial and Axel looked too gay in the colours he'd been wearing throughout the game. It's criminally overlooked. Still not a patch on 2, but leaps and bounds ahead if "Streets Of Rage 3"

I’m playing Bare Knuckle III at the minute and quite honestly Sega did the world a favour removing Ash from the NTSC and PAL versions. Incredibly insulting and harmful stereotype.

The other changes are all a bit odd though. Not sure about them changing the colour of Axel because he looked gay, that’s the first I’ve heard that. Considering he looked the same in 1 and 2 and other characters also had their sprites changed I’m not sure how much truth there is to that.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jazzy G said:

Mario RPG had the benefit of Square being involved. I started playing an emulated version, but the save states never worked properly with it. 

Don’t get me wrong, Paper Mario TTYD is still a brilliant game and laugh-out-loud funny at times, but the fact Super Mario RPG doesn’t outstay its welcome is a huge point in its favour for me. I’m all for games removing the padding when it comes to their main quest.

Edited by RedTwoster
  • Paid Members
Posted

I’ve just finished the Ice Palace (all three parts) on Monster World IV on the Mega Drive and it’s by far the worst dungeon I’ve ever played in any game ever. I just really needed to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Picked up collection of Mana while it's reduced in the eShop sale. I'm cracking away very slowly at the Gameboy one that pretends it's a Final Fantasy game. I also picked up the original Dragon Quest, but have no idea what to do. I'm just wandering about on the map fighting against slimes and ghosts. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Picked up collection of Mana while it's reduced in the eShop sale. I'm cracking away very slowly at the Gameboy one that pretends it's a Final Fantasy game. I also picked up the original Dragon Quest, but have no idea what to do. I'm just wandering about on the map fighting against slimes and ghosts. 

That’s Dragon Quest baby!

I’ve never played the first one but the ones I have played/are playing (VII, IX, XI) are very obtuse and you basically have to talk to everyone you see multiple times to figure anything out. Don’t be afraid to google a guide if it starts bugging you.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm sure it'll be a wild ride. The mana games are more my style, but I just keep forgetting to save. I'll get into the routine of it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I love the Dragon Quest games…from V onwards. I’m intrigued by the III remake as I can’t imagine a version of that game that doesn’t feel dated. Like many JRPGs (and games, to be fair) from that time, it feels basic to me. V is one of the most innovative JRPGs ever, introducing Pokémon-style monster catching before Pokémon was a thing, and making your party your family, which works really well from a story perspective. I just love it. 

3 hours ago, FLips said:

That’s Dragon Quest baby!

I’ve never played the first one but the ones I have played/are playing (VII, IX, XI) are very obtuse and you basically have to talk to everyone you see multiple times to figure anything out. Don’t be afraid to google a guide if it starts bugging you.

That’s pretty much my experience of Chrono Trigger. I’m at the very end now, and while I’ve definitely enjoyed it, it’s not made my ‘best ever’ category as it has you - largely because I find the lack of guidance a bit annoying. Sometimes it’s not obvious at all what time period you need to travel to, or who you need to talk to if you do know. It creates moments of frustration…unless you use a guide. I definitely see why you would feel so positively about it, it’s undoubtedly innovative and the writing is really strong. The non-linear nature of it really sets it apart from other games - I’m not sure anyone managed to do what Chrono Trigger did for decades, it’s really impressive.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Been playing the Mega Drive non-stop, so here are a few more games I've had a pop at.

Bare Knuckle III or Streets of Rage 3 as it's otherwise known, except the Japanese version has various gameplay and character differences. Most purists swear by Bare Knuckle but other than the difficulty being easier you'd never spot the differences as a casual. Outside of it retaining the offensive gay stereotype character Ash, the rest of the changes are holes in walls being different and women showing a bit more leg. Regardless of which version you play it's still the worst game in the series. Better movement and flashier graphics, but the levels and especially music are forgettable the second the credits roll.

Aladdin isn't as good as I remember it being. Often fondly remembered, it lags way behind in sound, graphics and gameplay compared to it's SNES counterpart. The hack and slash style of this one is sloppier than the smooth Capcom-in-their-prime platforming of the SNES. I might be a little salty because I got Game Over on the lava level.

Legend of Galahad or Leander as it's known on the Amiga is Psygnosis through and through. A green/blue/brown colour palette, catchy music, difficult and repetitive gameplay. It's OK if you fancy that sort of thing, and far from their worst effort, but it's not a touch on the Amiga counterpart.

Monster World IV really impressed me. The 6th entry I believe in the Wonder Boy series that was a Japan exclusive until it got a re-release on the Wii Virtual console here in the 2010s. Luckily as they're just roms, the Virtual Console games work as regular games on the Mega Drive so I got to play this lovely localised version on the original hardware.
I've never played a Wonder Boy game before but the best way to describe this one is a 2D platformer RPG with elements from Metroidvanias and Zelda. A more recent example would be the Shantae games.
Gorgeous colour palette but I always found the Sega "Chibi" style games (picture things like Alex Kidd and Chiki Chiki Boys) to look cheap. This one makes up for it with enemy and stage design but the humans look a bit rubbish. The gameplay is fun with a good mix of combat and puzzles, with plenty of secrets to find. The dungeons are big and offer plenty of variety for puzzles and gameplay but the Ice Temple is awful. It's 3 dungeons in one and each of the 3 has a gimmick including hidden doors, looped corridors and teleporting around. It took me ages to get past the transition between 2 and 3 so eventually I left the temple to go back to the hub to save and heal and then had to make my way on foot all the way back.
Thankfully the rest of the game is class. I was shocked at times how good and how detailed it was for a Mega Drive game which is more associated with shorter arcade style games.
They remade it for the Switch/PS4 era I think, I heartily suggest it.

Edited by FLips
  • Paid Members
Posted

Well, that’s Chrono Trigger completed. There’s an extra ending on the DS version (possibly on Windows too, I’m not sure) that sets up Chrono Cross. Without spoiling it, I think the ending lets it down a little - or at least, the ending I got does. It’s a bit too convenient and corny for my tastes. But it’s a SNES game from the nineties, so I shouldn’t be too harsh as far as that is concerned. On the whole, it’s probably an 8/10 for me. Although it’s inspired plenty of RPGs, it pisses all over its imitators, particularly the tedious Sea of Stars. I don’t know if it was the first game to introduce optional side quests, but it’s surely the first to introduce side quests with this level of consequence. 

Another plus point is the fact that the decision s you make really matter - as do some of your failures. They can impact the story and the ending you get; sometimes in minor ways, sometimes significantly. Some solutions are almost impossible to figure out without a guide though, which is something I don’t like. It’s a bit like classic point-and-click adventure games in that respect. It’s rare, to be fair, for the solutions to be that obtuse, but it does happen. As I mentioned previously, there’s also a lot of aimless wandering as you try to speak to the right NPC to figure out exactly what to do next. It’s pretty clear when you get the hint you need, but that’s an aspect of the game that I imagine will be divisive. 

On the whole, it’s a must-play if you like JRPGs. Usually when a game debuts mechanics and ideas, others refine them over time - but I’m not sure that’s happened with Chrono Trigger; or at the very least, not with everything it does. It somehow manages to introduce ideas that others have not used quite as well. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

@FLips the Bare Knuckle 3 soundtrack is an interesting one because it was all done digitally, coded using algorithms and the like. It's not a patch on the soundtrack from 2.

That lava escape level is annoying. I think a lot of the love for Megadrive Aladdin comes from forgetting that level is there, and because of how good it looks. It's the best of the Virgin Disney Megadrive games. Lion King isn't awful, but the stampede levels are a pain in the arse, as are the monkey puzzles. I've not played Jungle Book, but I know the law of diminishing returns when I see it. 

Being the huge Zelda fan you are, have you had a look at Legend Of Oasis/Story Of Thor? That might be one for you. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’m dipping into the ‘Trails of’ series next, so see what I think - it’s a remake, but a remake of an old title - I’m starting off with Trails from Zero, and I’m balancing that with Xenogears on PS1 (well, on Vita - but the PS1 Classic version) - critically acclaimed, but a game I just didn’t get along with when I first tried it. Anyone have any thoughts on either? 

Edited by RedTwoster
  • Paid Members
Posted
15 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

Well, that’s Chrono Trigger completed. There’s an extra ending on the DS version (possibly on Windows too, I’m not sure) that sets up Chrono Cross. Without spoiling it, I think the ending lets it down a little - or at least, the ending I got does. It’s a bit too convenient and corny for my tastes. But it’s a SNES game from the nineties, so I shouldn’t be too harsh as far as that is concerned. On the whole, it’s probably an 8/10 for me. Although it’s inspired plenty of RPGs, it pisses all over its imitators, particularly the tedious Sea of Stars. I don’t know if it was the first game to introduce optional side quests, but it’s surely the first to introduce side quests with this level of consequence. 

Another plus point is the fact that the decision s you make really matter - as do some of your failures. They can impact the story and the ending you get; sometimes in minor ways, sometimes significantly. Some solutions are almost impossible to figure out without a guide though, which is something I don’t like. It’s a bit like classic point-and-click adventure games in that respect. It’s rare, to be fair, for the solutions to be that obtuse, but it does happen. As I mentioned previously, there’s also a lot of aimless wandering as you try to speak to the right NPC to figure out exactly what to do next. It’s pretty clear when you get the hint you need, but that’s an aspect of the game that I imagine will be divisive. 

On the whole, it’s a must-play if you like JRPGs. Usually when a game debuts mechanics and ideas, others refine them over time - but I’m not sure that’s happened with Chrono Trigger; or at the very least, not with everything it does. It somehow manages to introduce ideas that others have not used quite as well. 

Yeah there's definitely a bit of that in Chrono Trigger. I had to look a guide up a couple times to help me along. Glad that overall you enjoyed it though and I will eventually give Live-a-Live a go, I promise!

15 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

@FLips the Bare Knuckle 3 soundtrack is an interesting one because it was all done digitally, coded using algorithms and the like. It's not a patch on the soundtrack from 2.

That lava escape level is annoying. I think a lot of the love for Megadrive Aladdin comes from forgetting that level is there, and because of how good it looks. It's the best of the Virgin Disney Megadrive games. Lion King isn't awful, but the stampede levels are a pain in the arse, as are the monkey puzzles. I've not played Jungle Book, but I know the law of diminishing returns when I see it. 

Being the huge Zelda fan you are, have you had a look at Legend Of Oasis/Story Of Thor? That might be one for you. 

I've played a bit of it but couldn't get on with it. May give it a proper go on the Mega Drive at some point as I've only played it on Virtual Console!

  • Paid Members
Posted

@FLips - I think Live-a-Live is by far the best game out of the Square RPGs released at that time, but it’s not given the credit it deserves because it wasn’t initially released in the West. I’ve probably said this before, but it’s pretty remarkable that Square released that, Chrono Trigger, FFVI and Secret of Mana in such quick succession - all innovating in their own way, doing bold things and experimenting successfully. Outside of Nintendo, I’m not sure there’s a company that has released as many games that I genuinely love as Square/Sqenix has. 

Posted

Been wanting to get into the Remake of LiveALive when I first saw it as a Switch exclusive on a direct years ago, but not owning a Switch stopped me from that, it came to PlayStation in 2023 and I’m sure it’ll be on the Ps Plus service soon so I’m gonna continue to wait.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...