The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Back again with more mess in the world of SNES!

Turns out the foolproof plan of playing the Japanese FF6 was a bust. I got back to the same place I did on the NTSC one and it had the same glitches. I'll need to either get a 60hz SNES or just burn a copy of the PS1 disc if I want to play that I suppose.
Some fun tidbits from the Japanese version though, Kefka is called Cefca and his "SON OF A SUBMARINER" is uncensored as he goes for the more often used "SON OF A BITCH". Terra is called Tina, and oddest of them all Sabin is called Mash.

After that failed I moved onto Chrono Trigger and in hindsight it should have been my choice all along. What a game.
I'm about 15 hours into it, my characters about level 28-30. I forgot just how fluid the game is in terms of movement and battles and going from one story arc to the next. As good as Final Fantasy games can be they're all very stiff compared to this. It may very well be the best RPG ever made.

4 minutes ago, FLips said:

After that failed I moved onto Chrono Trigger and in hindsight it should have been my choice all along. What a game.
I'm about 15 hours into it, my characters about level 28-30. I forgot just how fluid the game is in terms of movement and battles and going from one story arc to the next. As good as Final Fantasy games can be they're all very stiff compared to this. It may very well be the best RPG ever made.

I was going to point out what I thought was a mad coincidence, that being that I'm about to play through Chrono Trigger on the DS; before I remembered that the whole reason I decided to that were your posts about the game in this very thread. Oops. 

Still, as always, your endorsement counts for a lot. I'm even more excited about revisiting this game now - I played it back in the mid-2000s, but for whatever reason, didn't complete it. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedTwoster said:

I was going to point out what I thought was a mad coincidence, that being that I'm about to play through Chrono Trigger on the DS; before I remembered that the whole reason I decided to that were your posts about the game in this very thread. Oops. 

Still, as always, your endorsement counts for a lot. I'm even more excited about revisiting this game now - I played it back in the mid-2000s, but for whatever reason, didn't complete it. 

I never completed it on my first run through either. I got to the last boss and was underleveled and just never got round to grinding!

I'll do you a favour though and give you some spoiler-free hints for things I've encountered so far. I'll put them in spoilers too in case you don't want any at all.

Spoiler

- Be nice to everyone at the festival at the beginning. Don't commit any crimes and be a gentleman.

- When you get the ability to open sealed chests, patience will grant you greater rewards.

- Swap party members often. There are several times where specific magic comes in handy, plus using multiple combinations unlocks more dual and triple moves.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

14 minutes ago, FLips said:

I never completed it on my first run through either. I got to the last boss and was underleveled and just never got round to grinding!

I didn't get as far as the last boss - and I'm not actually sure how far I got, so I'll be playing this with very little knowledge or memory of what's to come. 

It's kind of staggering that there's not a way of playing this game on modern consoles, given how beloved it is. Perhaps they're planning to do something more significant to tie in with its 30th anniversary next year - maybe a remaster or even an HD-2D remake. 

Haven't posted my recent game hunts on here so thought I'd share a few 

A few weeks back I gathered enough vouchers to buy a few games I've been watching for some time 

One was in the Peckham branch and oddly they had two copies 

It's not one you see everyday so I thought I'll just get there soon

However I saw one sell the very next day so I made it my days mission to get down there and collect a holy Grail of mine 

• Paid Members

As I get nearer to 40, I'm doing my own version of a mid-life crisis and have started playing a 20-year old MMO again - Final Fantasy XI.

They've done some stuff to ease the brutal grind and modernise it a little bit (increasing XP rates, adding easy ways to get levelling gear, and the ability to summon AI NPC's to help in combat) but there's still so much here that is missing from every modern MMO for me. The lack of direction, talking to characters to discover quests, menu-based combat making me feel like I'm making decisions and not just mashing a rotation of the same five number keys. It's a world that asks you to lose time to it - real-time boat rides, deaths losing you progress, checking an enemy to reveal their strength, all of these add up to a game that feels more weighty & alive to me than any MMO since (and I've played a lot of WoW, FF14, Warframe, and Destiny).

The nostalgia for it all helps, but I'm having an absolute blast.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

As I get nearer to 40, I'm doing my own version of a mid-life crisis and have started playing a 20-year old MMO again - Final Fantasy XI.

I didn’t even know you could play that in 2024, I thought the servers had shut down and I had no idea someone, somewhere had kept it alive. It’s still the only mainline entry in the series that I’ve not played, which winds the completionist in me up to no end.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Big Bully Busick said:

Making cameos in various games 

Bad Dudes the most prominent and he even got a 1 on 1 fighter 

Yeah, he was the final boss in Fighters' History (which is known as Karnov's Revenge in some territories) and is a playable character in Fighters' History Dynamite. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I didn’t even know you could play that in 2024, I thought the servers had shut down and I had no idea someone, somewhere had kept it alive. It’s still the only mainline entry in the series that I’ve not played, which winds the completionist in me up to no end.

They've been adding new content to it as well, it's only this year that they've really started slowing that down and moving even more developers away. It's never going to have the big WoW overhaul, Final Fantasy XIV is where the future (and income) is for a Final Fantasy MMO, but It's so delightful to be able to play something that still has this feel - when everything felt fresh & exciting, before MMO as a genre became calcified in presentation & mechanics.

40 minutes ago, Jesse said:

They've been adding new content to it as well, it's only this year that they've really started slowing that down and moving even more developers away. It's never going to have the big WoW overhaul, Final Fantasy XIV is where the future (and income) is for a Final Fantasy MMO, but It's so delightful to be able to play something that still has this feel - when everything felt fresh & exciting, before MMO as a genre became calcified in presentation & mechanics.

How does it compare to XIV, as far as story is concerned? 

4 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Yeah, he was the final boss in Fighters' History (which is known as Karnov's Revenge in some territories) and is a playable character in Fighters' History Dynamite. 

It's actually a solid fighter too 

I got it on Evercade and it's one of the better rip offs of streetfighter at the time 

• Paid Members

That's why it got Data East sued. If that case hadn't been thrown out of court we probably wouldn't have ended up with half the fighters we got. 

"you ripped off Street Fighter 2! "

"You had two karate guys: one in red, one in white. You ripped off karate champ!" 

"silly games companies, you can't trademark the concept of fighting in videogames." 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

How does it compare to XIV, as far as story is concerned? 

It's there if you want it, but you have to actually seek it out rather than having a main story questline to pull you along. You could completely miss it if you don't talk to characters and do missions etc. Luckily, for an idiot like me, there's plenty of community guides to help pull you through the main & six expansion stories in a reasonable order rather than being overwhelmed at the possibilities, and they're all soloable these days so you're not locked out by not having mates.

I like what I've experienced of it so far. Each of the three starter cities have their own story questlines that tie into their region's history & characters. But it's generally a bit less epic in scale and a bit less mechanically polished as your FFXIV's - where it's more about gearing correctly for the fight than it is learning complex patterns/timings.

It's not the kind of game I could really recommend to anyone unless you have either nostalgia for it or a hankering for those mechanically clunkier, weighty, 'set your own goals' kind of social RPG's.

On 8/22/2024 at 4:03 PM, FLips said:

I'll do you a favour though and give you some spoiler-free hints for things I've encountered so far. I'll put them in spoilers too in case you don't want any at all.

I’ve started playing Chrono Trigger on the DS, and for some reason I’d completely forgotten that it was a silent protagonist. That’s one of my biggest pet hates in gaming, I think. I’m enjoying the game in spite of that, but it’s a design choice I’d love to see disappear altogether from gaming. How much grinding is needed in CT, @FLips?