I'm doing my dissertation on wrestling

Bluetonic

Specifically, premature wrestling deaths due to all manner of causes, especially in comparison to other fields of entertainment and sport. Basically, this is a request thread, for any journalists, wrestlers, or anyone who has anything to do with wrestling to come forward and let me interview you! I want to make a documentary as well as the written piece, so will be filming everything I do.

I'm not an expert on British wrestling, but I will be examining the British scene to the American, and comparing the mindset of British wrestlers to their American 'big time' counterparts. I would love to know if any British guys have resorted to serious steroid/gym abuse in order to try and replicate the Americans and try and make it over there.

Hopefully I'll also be going in depth about the Benoit incident, the steroid scandels of the early 90's, the wellness policy today, and statistics of wrestling deaths, especially compared to "real sports."

So this is where you guys come in! I swear to god I'm not being lazy (this isn't even due inn till next May but I want to make it as good as possible by starting as early as possible.) If any of you have any stories, or links to stuff that might be useful (videos, books, statistics, crime records, death certifiticates, or even links to people who might be able to help me, I would be very appreciative. If you yourself would be happy to have your opinions known, please do reply here, or if you would rather stay out of the thread, feel free to send me a PM.

Many thanks to any of you who can help, I hope to god this isn't a zero replier!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could tell you about how much rizoid's Eddie Guerrero took, but i think we're only allowed to say that about people who haven't been caught yet, like HHH and John Cena, obvious roid monkey's, yeah you won't be allowed to interview me.

Awww that's a shame! I'm just making a list of people I need to interview, doctors, fitness experts, psychologists etc it's quite daunting

Only because I like you, as well as your username.

There was a wonderful topic on here where pro ev promotions and Casey V went back and forth as it were over how roids were/were not to blame for the deaths of the likes of Eddie Guerrero or however you spell it and Mr Perfect etc.

I think pro ev was saying that roids were just one factor and that the other drugs/alcohol/need to be massive in the Vinceword etc were equally to blame and how body builders who take roids dont die as early.

Sorry for not linking but if it's your thing then research is your friend. Probably not what you're after but it was a good thread.

I'm probably just saying stuff you're well ahead of me on, but Lister's probably your best bet to interview of everyone here, isn't he? He's pretty much the foremost wrestling journalist over here. And I know Alex Shane's helped out when people have done university projects on wrestling before, as well, and he's probably the most high-profile personality on the UK scene, has the links with the American companies and whatnot.

Book-wise, Randazzo's "Ring of Hell" is a decent source for juicy quotes, although it might be a bit too sensationalist-bullshit for your purposes. Might be worth contacting some of the old-timers like Jake Roberts for comments, and shoot interviews would be the best thing for wrestler anecdotes.

Chris Nowinski is a good one to try and get in touch with as well, he loves wrestler deaths. The documentary "Bigger Faster Stronger" documentary on steroids would be a must, as well.

I don't know what you are limited to though. There's very little by way of academic text that would be of much use regarding wrestling specifically, I'd have thought. Can you get away with using things like shoot interviews and PowerSlam as sources?

I'm probably just saying stuff you're well ahead of me on, but Lister's probably your best bet to interview of everyone here, isn't he? He's pretty much the foremost wrestling journalist over here. And I know Alex Shane's helped out when people have done university projects on wrestling before, as well, and he's probably the most high-profile personality on the UK scene, has the links with the American companies and whatnot.

Book-wise, Randazzo's "Ring of Hell" is a decent source for juicy quotes, although it might be a bit too sensationalist-bullshit for your purposes. Might be worth contacting some of the old-timers like Jake Roberts for comments, and shoot interviews would be the best thing for wrestler anecdotes.

Chris Nowinski is a good one to try and get in touch with as well, he loves wrestler deaths. The documentary "Bigger Faster Stronger" documentary on steroids would be a must, as well.

I don't know what you are limited to though. There's very little by way of academic text that would be of much use regarding wrestling specifically, I'd have thought. Can you get away with using things like shoot interviews and PowerSlam as sources?

Hey, I think that you can find a lot of sources in a lot of different ways. The beauty of this subject for me is that I can find lots of different things, rather than just plough through books, instead I can examine doctors notes, court case reports, videos, audio etc. Despite it being a dissertation, I still want it to be relatively fun. Those names are really helpful, and I've not read that book yet so I will look into it.

Seasider - is that his legit email address?

Keith - cheers for that, will search for the thread.

• Paid Members
Seasider - is that his legit email address?

Yep. His dad is called Herb and used to help him out with the admin stuff, hence the unusual initial at the beginning. It's still the one that he gives out.

Do you have access to the Wrestling Observer newsletter? Meltzer did about six issues in a row that focused heavily on Benoit around the time of his demise.

No I don't, is it true that if you subscribe you have access to back issues? Or are the back issues that are put on non sequential?

• Paid Members

^^ Woah, woah, hold fire, stop!

You do have access to back issues, but it's not all of them.

The WON only became an online newsletter when Meltzer and Alvarez merged in June 2008, so you'll have access to anything from that date.

They also add one of the older issues per week, but we're only up to May 17th 1993. The Benoit issues, written when the newsletter was print only, aren't in the archive, and won't be for another fourteen years at this rate.

It's still more than worth signing up the WO, but don't do it if your only motivation is to get hold of the Benoit issues: They're not available, unfortunately.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Alvarez is sly like that. Same with his announcement that Figure Four Daily would be every day from Monday to Friday, with X always appearing on Y-day and so on, and which he never actually bothered honouring.

Still, even though I complain it's well worth my couple of quid a week.

Archived