I'm doing my dissertation on wrestling

Bluetonic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Chris and Nancy' by Irvin Muchnick is a good source of information about Benoit's naughtiness. The author concentrates too much on steroids (pretty much ignoring the brain damage factor) for my liking, but you'd definitely be able to use it for your dissertation.

• Paid Members

You may want to take a hunt around youtube also, there's a hell of a lot of footage of ex wrestlers appearing on news programmes post Benoit to talk about the widespread usage in the business. I think they have Marc Mero, Kevin Nash, Steve blackman and others giving frank views. Some pro, some anti, as long as you reference the source of the original broadcast with the dates of broadcast ( circa summer 97 mostly, but you'd need full accurate day, check with your Seminar tutor for the exact details you need to reference) you can quote it freely.

• Paid Members

Well there are plenty of BMA medical journals on combat sports (I did a paper on MMA last year) that you can use, and Im sure you can find medical papers on the use of steroids in sports aswell which will be a big academic help to you. Just make sure you get enough academic sources in to compliment the stuff being mentioned here (some of which will help big time) otherwise your marker may take issue.

• Paid Members
'Chris and Nancy' by Irvin Muchnick is a good source of information about Benoit's naughtiness. The author concentrates too much on steroids (pretty much ignoring the brain damage factor) for my liking, but you'd definitely be able to use it for your dissertation.

He's also selling a data DVD with all the source material from his research.

Also worth a look here for all the paperwork from the Senate hearings:

http://oversight.house.gov/index.php?optio...:investigations

I can't remember if it has anything directly dealing with steroid culture in it, but there's a collection of academic writing about wrestling called "Steel Chair to the Head" edited by, I think, Nicholas Sammond. It's more focused on textual readings but it could be useful to you for background reading, seeing as academic writing about wrestling is in very short supply.

Also, wrestler autobiographies might be useful for first-hand accounts of steroid culture in wrestling. Bret Hart's and the Dynamite Kid's books spring immediately to mind.

Fin Martin would probably give you an interview/some leads, he might be useful. I know he's usually quite approachable for stuff like this.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, have now started attempting to gather more research for the dissertation, and was just wondering if anyone who hadn't read this thread before could offer any assistance, either on here or via PM.

Read 'Dungeon Of Death' the other day, a decent read but Scott Keith's such a terrible writer it was hard to get all the way through.

Many thanks if anyone can help (again!)

• Paid Members

Good luck with it Bluetonic. I too am having a crack at wrestling for my own dissertation. Still working out the kinks, but I'm going with the Rise And Fall of ECW documentary and looking at different issues related to documentary, such as ethics, bias etc. Are you still going ahead with making a documentary about the subject too?

Good luck with it Bluetonic. I too am having a crack at wrestling for my own dissertation. Still working out the kinks, but I'm going with the Rise And Fall of ECW documentary and looking at different issues related to documentary, such as ethics, bias etc. Are you still going ahead with making a documentary about the subject too?

Hi mate, yeah I'm still looking at a documentary perhaps, depends on the calibre of people I get to interview!

• 5 months later...

Into the last month of this, just started the write up - again, if anybody has anything they would like to add, or if any lurkers are on here who think they would be good to interview, I'd appreciate it. I'm finding it a struggle finding somebody in the medical profession to interview (about concussions, drugs etc) so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate that as well. Sorry for bringing up a dead topic but I'm in the stage now where I worry constantly about failing!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for updating a realllly old thread, but I've finally gotten around to uploading my disser on the internet - http://martinhines.wordpress.com/2013/01/1...g-dissertation/ have a read if you fancy it. Also, does Mr.Seven still post on here? I haven't seen him around for a while and I know he was keen to read it

I might rob this thread in a couple of weeks as I'm also doing my dissertation on wrestling, although I'm doing a much less worthwhile degree so it'll be much easier questions that sound like they mean something but actually really don't.

Anyway, will read your diss now. Looking forward to it :)

Archived