Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Can somebody tell me, in plain English and with NO nonsensical "They're all Masons!/Iluminati!/Lizards!" ramblings, why the SFA would favour Rangers?

Why? What is there to gain by shacking up with the old Teddy Bears?

ADDED: Nothing to do with this, but does anybody have any pictures of Celtic Park when it was being redeveloped in 1995? Thanks a lot.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no response to that then Baz? Never mind, I'm sure it'll come in time with The Establishment's wishes.

So, Scotland last night eh? Obviously it was only the Faroes but I was pleased to see the team playing such open football. Very impressed with Bannan and he would be my Man of the Match. Commons got a goal too, which is good even if I would have to question if he'll really develop the way we'd like him to. Mackie was decent too, got one goal and should've had another had Maloney not tackled him.

Incidentally (and I'm sure this will look as if it's more BIAS~!) did anyone else think Maloney was over-selfish last night? It looked to me like he was back to his old ways.

Can somebody tell me, in plain English and with NO nonsensical "They're all Masons!/Iluminati!/Lizards!" ramblings, why the SFA would favour Rangers?

ADDED: Nothing to do with this, but does anybody have any pictures of Celtic Park when it was being redeveloped in 1995? Thanks a lot.

The Celtic Wiki is your friend. Loads of pictures of the redevelopment in there. Hope you find what you're looking for.

To attempt to answer your original question. I'm not sure whether or not it's an organised thing (such a conspiracy would be very difficult to conceal) or simply a subconscious thing. Put it this way - if I was in a position of power at the SFA, or if I was refereeing a Celtic or a Rangers game, I have absolutely no doubt that in the heat of the moment my heart would naturally over-rule my head. I might award a penalty to Celtic when it's 0-0 with 11 minutes to play or I might deny Rangers the same penalty.

That's the best I can offer you without being nonsensical. I don't think that there is a concentrated conspiracy against Celtic or in favour of Rangers, but there is a very definite natural leaning towards Rangers in this country.

Rangers are in financial difficulty. The SPL is total garbage and without the old firm wouldn't survive. They can't possibly afford rangers to go out of business. Plus the usual nonsense you refer to isn't completely false.

• Paid Members

A bit ridiculous this isn't the norm, but a MP up here wants refs to state which team they support...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9196192.stm

Scottish MP Pete Wishart wants all referees in Scotland to be forced to declare which team they support.

The SNP sport spokesman says officials should not be allowed to referee matches involving their team, as they do in England.

"I think the ordinary football fan deserves this information to remove doubt over any decisions being taken," Wishart told BBC Scotland.

The Scottish FA says it has no plans to implement such a register of interests.

However, St Johnstone fan Wishart believes there is no reason why a referees' register could not work in Scotland.

"We've seen in England for FA Cup finals when referees have declared they support a team and they've excluded themselves from the final," he said.

"I seriously do think it would be in the interests of the game if they did declare which team they support.

"But when Rangers or Celtic come to McDiarmid Park I would like to know what teams these referees are supporting.

"And, if they are Rangers or Celtic supporters, I'd prefer they didn't referee a match between St Johnstone and one of the Old Firm."

Despite this, Wishart does not doubt that referees in Scotland officiate fairly and without prejudice.

"I think Scottish referees conduct their business with the utmost and absolute integrity," added the MP for Perth and North Perthshire.

"But there's always a keen debate about certain refereeing decisions.

"Freedom of information has taken hold in our society and I think it should apply to refereeing decisions - particularly as they're under such scrutiny.

"I just think that, in this new cultured environment of disclosure of all sorts of people in public and sporting life, referees (should) declare which team they support to put their decisions beyond reproach."

However, former English referee Graham Poll pointed out that Wishart's suggestion could cause problems.

"If you trust referees then it's irrelevant who they support. If you trust them, you trust them," he said.

"If you're going to say, because you support Celtic, you can't referee them you probably can't referee Rangers either. That brings all sorts of complications, I don't think it's as simple and straightforward as is being suggested.

"The key point from England is that, if a referee declares something, that is kept between him and the footballing authorities because there are different reasons why referees shouldn't referee certain games. That is not for public consumption," added Poll.

Rangers are in financial difficulty. The SPL is total garbage and without the old firm wouldn't survive. They can't possibly afford rangers to go out of business. Plus the usual nonsense you refer to isn't completely false.

Says who? (Other than you, obviously).

• Paid Members
To attempt to answer your original question. I'm not sure whether or not it's an organised thing (such a conspiracy would be very difficult to conceal) or simply a subconscious thing. Put it this way - if I was in a position of power at the SFA, or if I was refereeing a Celtic or a Rangers game, I have absolutely no doubt that in the heat of the moment my heart would naturally over-rule my head. I might award a penalty to Celtic when it's 0-0 with 11 minutes to play or I might deny Rangers the same penalty.

Seriously?

Would the same thing apply if you were a player? As in, if you were playing for Rangers against Celtic in the same circumstances would you deliberately mis-hit a shot or give a way a penalty to assist Celtic?

If so are you really comfortable having childhood Rangers supporter Scott Brown as your Club Captain?

Seriously?

Would the same thing apply if you were a player? As in, if you were playing for Rangers against Celtic in the same circumstances would you deliberately mis-hit a shot or give a way a penalty to assist Celtic?

If so are you really comfortable having childhood Rangers supporter Scott Brown as your Club Captain?

Celtic have had plenty of childhood Rangers supporters wear the Hoops over the years. I don't have a problem with it. Playing for a football club is completely different to refereeing their games.

Are you telling me that, in the heat of the moment, you can say with 100% certainty that as a referee you wouldn't award your team a penalty, if given the opportunity? It would be a perfectly natural reaction to do so.

Do you think Sky or ESPN would be interested in an SPL without the Old Firm? Because they wouldn't be. And that's the money that is keeping the teams like Motherwell and Kilmarnock going.

• Paid Members

Seriously?

Celtic have had plenty of childhood Rangers supporters wear the Hoops over the years. I don't have a problem with it. Playing for a football club is completely different to refereeing their games.

Are you telling me that, in the heat of the moment, you can say with 100% certainty that as a referee you wouldn't award your team a penalty, if given the opportunity? It would be a perfectly natural reaction to do so.

At the moment, maybe not, but if I'd spent years missing all their games because I've been working my way up from the school leagues then I'm certain my instincts as a Referee would completely outweigh my loyalty to "my team". Same way the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Neil McCann and John Robertson had no problem scoring against teams they grew up supporting.

For the record I still say the biggest problem with Referees in Scotland isn't bias, it's the part time wages. If you pay peanuts, you gets monkeys etc.

That's the best I can offer you without being nonsensical. I don't think that there is a concentrated conspiracy against Celtic or in favour of Rangers, but there is a very definite natural leaning towards Rangers in this country.

I don't think it's quite like that. I think Celtic are getting shafted more now than they ever have, but basically, this is something brought on them by big mouths.

I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying that it's probably the case.

Do you think Sky or ESPN would be interested in an SPL without the Old Firm? Because they wouldn't be. And that's the money that is keeping the teams like Motherwell and Kilmarnock going.

And do you think a greater competitive league with 12 possible winners as opposed to one of the two Glasgow clubs would have no impact? It's a pointless discussion. You can't prove your side of things, I can't prove mine. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as "would not survive".

And do you think a greater competitive league with 12 possible winners as opposed to one of the two Glasgow clubs would have no impact? It's a pointless discussion. You can't prove your side of things, I can't prove mine. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as "would not survive".

Of course the league would be more competative. But nobody would have any money to buy or pay players wages. Like it or not, The Old Firm keep the SPL afloat and without them the league would fade into part-time obscurity.

But with greater competitivity would come greater excitement and bigger crowds. Besides, it opens up the whole argument of where Rangers/Celtic go? I can't see X thousand fans travelling to watch Rangers play Basingstoke Town and Midcup Town. Plenty would go watch their local teams instead. I'd LOVE to see the Old Firm punted to the very bottom of the English football pyramid. Would the OF survive that?

Archived