Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Oh and also, the Police Cheif who rightly wants the Old Firm games banned said even in York (where funnily enough, he was in an Irish pub) the atmosphere in there when he was watching the game on Wednesday was seriously hostile.

He wants the Old Firm games banned? As in evening kick-off times?

As far as I know his opinion is that he just wants the games banned. Full stop. A very extreme measure but when you consider how much the aftermath of these games cost the taxpayer in terms of the police and the NHS, you could see why someone with no bias or devotion to football would think that.

The very nature of the Old Firm's rivalry is - as so many people say - diseased. As a Dundee United fan, I find it sad how bitter the rivalry between the fans of United and Dundee now is because of the internet and the shite people spread on messageboards, but that's got nothing on the OF.

It's just a game of football after all.

Having read Phil Whatshisface's article there, he makes a good point. Lennon shouldn't have to put up with what he does, but his arguement that the Celtic fans are by nature 'not like that' because this never happened to Graeme Souness is flawed.

As we know, Lennon is In-Your-Face and as Celtic as it gets. And he's also from Northern Ireland. That's the problem. Souness is Scottish. Maybe I'm being blind here, but I see that as the crucial difference.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I know his opinion is that he just wants the games banned. Full stop.

Then he's a tit. There's no way that will ever happen.

Before we all buy into the media giving it the big "We are the shame of the civilised world" headlines, perhaps we should look at games elsewhere in comparison.

Check the rivalries between Inter & AC Milan, Roma & Lazio, Boca Juniors & River Plate, or any number of Turkish league rivalries.

It makes me laugh that the SNP and Police are going on about banning the Old Firm. They say it's a hinder to taxpayers but they are conveniently forgetting all the money pumped back into the economy from the tens of thousands of people in Glasgow alone at the pub during said games.

I know it's unrealistic, but the world would be a better place without it. Yes, money gets pumped back into the private sector, but people would just find other ways to invest their money in the private sector.

And it would be a heavy relief on the public sector.

But it won't happen.

Oh, and the idea that there are a handful of worse rivalries when it comes to violence doesn't really justify it.

Replays add excitement to the cup competition, mainly for smaller teams.

But for bigger teams, an example of how replays work for bigger sides, look at last season's Scottish Cup. United 'earned' the replay at Ibrox by drawing 3-3, brought Rangers back to Tannadice and finished the job. Wonderful stuff from a United perspective.

Neil Lennon is to be investigated for racism following "public" complaints aka following a blue mail campaign of Follow Follow users spouting their shite. Clearly FF users didn't grasp the fact their was two police officers within a couple of feet.

Also ironic that Lennon is being accused of racism with no evidence yet 7000 Rangers fan could be heard chanting racist songs clear as day and nothing has been said.

Neil Lennon is to be investigated for racism following "public" complaints aka following a blue mail campaign of Follow Follow users spouting their shite. Clearly FF users didn't grasp the fact their was two police officers within a couple of feet.

Also ironic that Lennon is being accused of racism with no evidence yet 7000 Rangers fan could be heard chanting racist songs clear as day and nothing has been said

Celtic FC: Shifting the blame and fingering others (including youths :music:) since 1888

Suppose by your standards ally the songs about tommy burns are okay too...

Social problem with the old firm is people think its okay to do what they do cause its only at the football... Lets not forget that some players and managers think what they do is okay. Im not too pleased that the manager of my team can't control himself and when he manages that side he might not be the same guy in terms of managing...

tiger_rick

The next person who behaves like an imbecile in this thread will be suspended. Do not spoil it for everyone else.

Chaka Demus

Celtic FC: Shifting the blame and fingering others (including youths :music:) since 1888

Surely we have a winner?

tiger_rick
The next person who behaves like an imbecile in this thread will be suspended. Do not spoil it for everyone else.

Chaka Demus

Surely we have a winner?

I was stating fact. The last one about Lennon was an insult. He said the next one to do that would be banned. As far as I am aware nobody has insulted anybody since. :thumbsup:

Archived