Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd be OK with that appointment, although fuck knows how well he'd do. He's certainly better than Billy Stark, Hughes and Collins. The problem with him is that (a) I doubt we could afford him, and (b) without a real budget to work with I don't know if he'd stay long even if he did well. I suspect he'd use it as a way into one of the Old Firm. But heck, I'd be OK with that if he established a platform for someone else to build on.

• Paid Members

All the tanning salons in the city are certainly pinning their hopes on Phil Brown.

Truthfully I don't know enough about his record other than he spent a fair bit at Hull, kept them up then doomed them with the team talk on the pitch.

Tiger Rick to thread.........

• Paid Members

Ah, the old team talk on the pitch myth! It is a myth, our form after that incident was rubbish but the spirit was still there. Brown did an incredible job at Hull. He kept us in the Championship against all the odds (Leeds being utterly shit helped) and then took us up at the first attempt. He wasn't afraid to take a gamble on players like Dean Windass who were massive personalities. That promotion season is the best season we've ever had and Brown was near flawless. He knitted the team together, brought in great talent to compliment what we had and put believe into everyone.

When we got promoted, he was like Ian Holloway for the first 6 months. We attacked teams, we got good results and Brown was everyone's favourite. Then the cracks appeared. It wasn't the Man City game, it had been coming ever since we drew at Anfield. Brown fell out with Marlon King, which left a massive hole in our attack. Sunderland recalled Paul McShane because we were above them in the league. Geovanni hadn't played well for months, Dean Windass was making waves because he wasn't playing, Brown fell out with Boateng and Cousin and almost everyone apart from Bo Myhill and Michael Turner had gone off the boil and we just lost momentum. The man City thing was stupid but it came after 1 and a half abysmal results. We lost 1-4 to Sunderland the wek before and went off 0-4 down at Eastlands. Well we never went off.

The January transfer window was a disaster. Brown bought Jimmy Bullard, Kevin Kilbane and signed Manucho on loan. Bullard was crocked in his first game, the other two were garbage. We only played well a couple of times in the second half of the season and stayed up because Newcastle were shit. The following summer, Brown's hands were tied because of the money problems we were starting to have but what he did spend was wasted. Some of the players would eventually be good but weren't what we needed. We were better than we'd been in the second half of 08/09 but not good enough. Brown's sacking came 6 months too late in the end.

He's not a bad manager. He's modern, he's thorough, he can be brave, he likes his team to play football and he's a good coach. He's not a cunt, despite the reputation he's picked up. He's got a massive ego and he loves to draw attention to himself but he's a solid enough bloke. He's a decent judge of a player but he didn't pick up many bargains at Hull so I'm not sure about him working with a small budget at Aberdeen. Despite a ton of talk about the scouting network we were setting up, 95% of our signings were players everyone knew. Only Kamel Zayatte (success) and Kamel Ghilas (failure) were "found" by his team.

I like Phil Brown, despite everything. I think he should have gone 6 months earlier than he did because the situation was irreversible with him in charge. I also think that if he was still around, we'd be having a much better season this year. I'm not convinced he'll do well on a small budget but I'd say he'd be perfect for a club with players who are lacking in confidence having worked with a dour manager.

• Paid Members

That said I'd be stunned if he got the job. I'd imagine he'd be expecting a wage we simply couldn't offer. And even if that's not the case I just couldn't see the board taking a chance on him. Billy Stark, here we come. I hope the teams in the First Division are hospitable.

• Paid Members
I cannot stand the man personally but cannot argue with Calderwood's record at Dunfermline which was excellent and there was steady improvement season after season albeit with lavish sums of money to spend for a club of our size.

Serious question. What was the opinion of the fans with regards to how Jimmy left the club. Both financially and squad-wise?

I'm not asking as some sort of troll. I've heard stories that the fans were glad to see the back of him at the end.

If that was the case at the time I would imagine they soon wished he was back. As soon as he left...relegation. And it's not as though Steven Kenny wasn't given money to spend. He brought in a few players and unfortunately for the Pars they just didn't work out.

Bit unfair to put the blame for relegation on Stephen like, they were far far adrift at the bottom when he took the job and he got them to a cup final and very nearly kept them up. Was it ever cleared up what actually went on behind the scenes when he lost the job? Heard Alan Pardew like stories of messing around with players wives and such, but he never seemed the type.

Fixture postponements

The following games, scheduled for Saturday 11 December, have been postponed on the advice of the respective local Police:

Celtic v Kilmarnock

Dundee United v Motherwell

On the announcement, Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive of the SPL, said:

Can't really complain about the Celtic postponement. All of the Gallowgate is an ice-rink right now and I don't see that situation improving by Saturday.

Whats the roads like Baz? Need to get over to Govan from the east end during rush hour tomorrow morning and was looking to avoid the M8 if possible so would need to go via the Gallowgate and Saltmarket.

Yeah Baz, I heard that Parkhead and the surrounding area is a death trap right now. I've no doubt that the pitch at Celtic Park is in immaculate condition but the polis will not want 35,000+ people, some pished, skating about outside the ground and claiming damages etc.

Also got to take into account the lads making the journey from Ireland, it'd be pretty shit for them to turn up in Glasgow on Saturday morning only to hear the game's off.

• Paid Members
Can't really complain about the Celtic postponement. All of the Gallowgate is an ice-rink right now and I don't see that situation improving by Saturday.

Whats the roads like Baz? Need to get over to Govan from the east end during rush hour tomorrow morning and was looking to avoid the M8 if possible so would need to go via the Gallowgate and Saltmarket.

The roads around the Saltmarket are clear of snow and ice and nicely gritted. This is because of that court down there but the traffic was mobbed about 11am today.

I'd seriously watch out on the Gallowgate way. Up this end never gets gritted.

Archived