Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

dunno if anyone heard that there was an Inoki promoted MMA shows over in Japan last weekend, the only footage available of it comes from like someones cellphone recording of the entire show, Satoshi Ishii defeated Phil de Fries in the main event...think it's possibly time Ishii made a move to the States, thought he's likely to be making some decent money in Japan. Brett Roger's KO'd some Japanese scrub but the main talking point of the show was this:

Minowana who's was having his 102nd pro fight and is still on his freak show tour took one some bloke called Goran Jettingsgrad who was 0-0, needless to say Minowman probably ended his career in his very first fight:

the footage is shakey but you can see that something went very wrong with Goran's leg. I'm not really sure of the story behind the fight, i always feel there's probably some kind of wrestling promotion behind a Minowaman fight but how can he fight a guy who has no MMA experience? insanity.

...going to the Sherdog message boards, the most anyone can tell about the guy is that he's a Swedish student studying in Korea who took up Martial Arts less than 2 years ago. This is borderline assault isn't it?

• Paid Members

packed schedule this weekend but this happens tonight as well as the UFC show:

Bellator116.jpg

Lavar Johnson vs. Blagoi Ivanov (Heayweight Tournament Semi-Final)

Joey Beltran vs. Vladimir Matyushenko

Nathan Coy vs. Adam McDonough (Welterweight Tournament Semi-Final)

Siala-Mou Siliga vs. Alexander Volkov (Heayweight Tournament Semi-Final)

Prelims

Brandon Halsey vs. Joe Pacheco (Middleweight Tournament Semi-Final)

Keith Berry vs. Dave Vitkay

Poppies Martinez vs. Josh Smith

Brandon Bender vs. Mario Navarro

Ron Keslar vs. Karo Parisyan

Rob Emerson vs. Joe Taimanglo

Andy Murad vs. Ricky Rainey

Travis Clark vs. Philipe Lins

Carlos Eduardo vs. Rodney Wallace

for my money that's the best Bellator card of the season that doesn't have a title fight on there. As much as i'd love to see Mo roll on against Volkov i see a Volkov/Ivanov final put together by the end of the night.

Vladamir Matyushenko fights Joey Beltran in his retirement fight. I'm a fan of both but i'll be fully behind The Janitor, always had a soft spot for the guy, be great to see him go out with a win.

The Prelim's are quality too. They are hit and miss week-to-week but this week there's plenty of fights there that wouldn't be out of place on the main card.

I'm watching this fucker top to bottom.

• Paid Members

annoyingly saw a Glory spoiler so i didn't see the show (i'll catch up at some point) but Tyrone Spong suffered an Anderson Silva type break in his fight with Gokhan Saki, terrible injury and kills Spong's momentum dead, this was gonna be a big year for him :(

Spong busts his leg

In fairness i don't think ive ever seen a guy so calm after shattering a bone.

Glory have announced they'll be going to PPV later in the year also.

• Paid Members

Yeah I just watched GLORY. I'd also seen Spong spoiler on Saturday. Totally forgot how early the show would be taking place, being in Europe, went on MMAMania and bam, spoiler city.

It was a good show. Not as good as GLORY 14 was and the ending to Spong vs Saki 2 but a bit of a downer on the whole show, kind of like Weidman vs Silva 2 did at UFC 168. Eerily similar actually how the Saki vs Spong and Weidman vs Silva stories have played out. Both Weidman and Saki won the first fights by left hook KO. Then both won the rematch by checking a leg kick and breaking Silva/Spong's leg.

Robin Van Roosmalen vs Marat Grigorian was the pick of the bunch for me. Really good competitive fight. I actually had it for Grigorian myself but it wasn't an outrageous decision or anything.

Spong vs Cavalari in the semis was good fun as well. And watching Saki go to town on Corbett in the other semi was a joy to watch. Shame about Corbett's ear injury but the fight was clearly only going one way by that point anyway.

Felt gutted for Spong. How much bad fortune can a bloke have? Both his uncle and a close friend were murdered recently, actually during Spong's training camp for this tournament. He somehow stays focused enough to get through camp, get to the show, win the semi final despite not looking his best understandably (over a very game opponent), then he's in the finals against a guy who knocked him out five years ago, in the guy's backyard, and he breaks his leg. Just a shit note to end the night on.

GLORY 17 on May 3rd has Pat Barry's GLORY debut, plus big Sergei Kharitonov is on the card. GLORY 18 has a pretty sweet middleweight tournament with Alex Perreira, Joe Schilling and MELVIN MANHOEF! all involved. GLORY's cooking.

• Paid Members

Bellator 116 was quality. Great show from top to bottom.

* Blagoi Ivanov's comeback is really one of the most remarkable sports stories ever. If that happened to a British footballer the guy would be knighted and declared a national hero. MMA and Boxing seems to full of these amazing comeback stories that 99.9% of the world sports fans are not even aware of.

Ivanov/Johnson ended up being a quality heavyweight 1 rounder. Never a dull moment when Lavar Johnson is in the cage, not the typcial slugfest though. Some great slams and throws. I wasn't too impressed with Ivanov in his first round fight but he looked great here.

Lavar_Johnson___vs.___Blagoi_Ivanov_bd.gif

* Ivanov will fight Volkov in the final, who waxed Mighty Mo with a headkick. Quite surprised to see Mo seem completely unwilling to stand with Volkov. Massive size difference but Mo's been there before.

Alexander_Volkov__vs_Siala_Siliga.gif

* Matyushenko/Beltran had a fight worthy of The Janitor's final hurrah. Both guy's bit down and had a good old fashioned dust up. Surprised to see Vlad get the better of most the standup exchanges and i had the old guy winning both rounds going into round 3. Matyushenko shot a sloppy takendown when he ran out of gas though and Beltran caught him in a north/south choke than sealed the deal, nice comeback win from Beltran.

I know it's a loss but it was a fitting way for Matyushenko to bow out, always been a favorite of mine.

Couple of quality prelims too. Karo Pariysan scored a big win over a Bellator regular in Ron Keslar.

Ron_Keslar_vs._Karo_Parisyan_1.gif

Parisyan was losing before he scored the big KO, but for my money that's his best win since he left the UFC. Not sure if Parisyan has turned the corner, but he'll likely land a tournament slot now. Happy for the guy.

Also Emerson/Taimanglo had a quality fight at 135 as well. Im fancying Rob Emerson to go on a bit of a run down at 135, he looked strong and explosive for the first time at the weight, gas looked great as well.

• Paid Members

Douglas Lima vs Rick Hawn is tomorrow! Totally forgot how close that was, it's snuck up fast. I'll be having some of that. Just looked up the card and Big Pitbull's on there as well.

And Karl Amoussou vs TBA. I'm going by MMAJunkie's listings. TBA still on the eve of the show? How does that work, does Amoussou find out the identity of his opponent at the weigh in?

Nice to see Parisyan pick up a win on last week's show.

And Karl Amoussou vs TBA. I'm going by MMAJunkie's listings. TBA still on the eve of the show? How does that work, does Amoussou find out the identity of his opponent at the weigh in?

He is going against a fighter called David Gomez (16-7) apparently.

• Paid Members

Bellator's prelim's are always up in the air until last minute. Usually the fights you see listed on MMAjunkie/MMA Weekly etc. dont even happen, i don't really pay much attention to what's on them until they've actually weighed in :D

Hawn/Lima should be great tonight though, Lima's right hand is dynamite...if Hawn tries to box with him, and i suspect he will, he's gonna get laid out.

here's the results of the weigh in's, so this is what goes down!

Rick Hawn (169.7) vs. Douglas Lima (169.8)

• Paid Members

Yeah even the prelims look decent there. Some weeks I look and it's all nobodies, other weeks you get Karo Parisyan or this lot. Houston Alexander is always worth tuning in for. Ryan Jensen was pretty decent in the UFC from what I recall of him as well.

And fuck me, I had no idea Bellator had nabbed Julio Cesar Neves. If you don't recognise the name, he's responsible for this;

1.gif

My KO of the year for 2013.

He's one to keep an eye on as well. He's 28-0, only been to a decision 3 times, and the fucker stays active. Only turned pro in October 2011, so he's had 28 fights in less than three years! He's also had six knockouts via flying knee. Six by flying knee! Remains to be seen how he does against guys we actually know of course, but he could potentially be Bellator's Renan Barao.

• Paid Members

oh nice shout wand. i'll tune in for that. The Bellator prelims are always worth watching, i dont always watch them but they never disappoint. I dont feel Bellator do a great job of building the guys lower on the card, stuff just kinda happens for no particular reason...unless its a 'tournament qualifier' they just seem like fights for the sake of fights. There's always some quality talent hiding down there though. There always seems to be several fights that have an element of mismatch about em, not great if you wanna see competitive fights, but its great if you wanna someone get laid out.

• Paid Members

i know it's hard to really guage where a fighter in Bellator should be in terms of World Standings because the level is generally lower than that of fighters in the UFC. Having said that, i'd wager that Douglas Lima easily slots into the top 10, maybe more towards 5. He destroyed Rick Hawn with ease. First off it became quickly apparent that Hawn probably should have stayed at 155lb because against a big 170 he looked tiny, but it just seemed a cakewalk, he barely threw the right hand of doom it was a leg kick city, for Hawn to drop in round 1 through leg kicks must have been crushing for him, he had no chance after that.

Lima is a fucking monster.

• Paid Members

after a week off, Bellator 118 goes down tomorrow night. Eduardo Dantas has pulled out of the title fight so Joe Warren now fights Rafael Silva in an interim title fight in the main event.

6f3dd3616087ac5c6ab0fa52ae4df05b.jpg

Rafael Silva vs. Joe Warren (for interim bantamweight title)

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Sam Oropeza (welterweight tournament semifinals)

Liam McGeary vs. Mike Mucitelli (Summer Series" light heavyweight tournament opening round)

Marcos Galvao vs. Thomas Vasquez

preliminary CARD

Spike.com, 7 p.m. ET

Gemiyale Adkins vs. Dante Rivera

Ryan Contaldi vs. Jesus Martinez

Eugene Fadiora vs. Tim Woods

Darrion Caldwell vs. Joe Pingitore

Julian Lane vs. Anthony Morrison

Mike Bannon vs. Sidney Outlaw

Amran Aliyev vs. Kevin Roddy

Lester Caslow vs. Jay Haas

still looks decent enough, Brit Liam McGeary gets a pretty nice as he's been tearing shit up over there. Koreshkov and Galvao always bring the thrills too...no UFC this weekend, so get on it.

Also, Glory 16 goes down this weekend, some MMA notables involved, including the debut of Pat Barry should be fucking brilliant (as usual)

58975_glory-16-denver-pat-parry-nieky-holzken-poster.jpg

Tournament Final Bout

Welterweight World Title Bout: Nieky Holzken vs. Marc de Bonte

Tournament Reserve Bout: Pat Barry vs. Zack Mwekassa

Tournament Semi-final Bout B: Anderson Silva vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Tournament Semi-final Bout A: Ben Edwards vs. Errol Zimmerman

chuck in the Mayweather PPV and it's another loaded weekend of combat sports :D

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

that should wet your appetite for Glory 16, fuck yeah!

decent looking Cage Warriors show tonight as well, it's live on Premier Sports/Setanta if any of you have them channels:

N92N4f6.jpg

Danny Roberts vs. Jim Wallhead

Marcelo Costa vs. Ronnie Mann

Mauro Chimento vs. Matt Inman

Steve Dinsdale vs. Matt Hallam

Leeroy Barnes vs. Che Mills

John Cullen vs. Dean Garnett

i'll have me some of that.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

hungover to fuck today, so i just crashed out and watched Cage Warriors 68 from Saturday night, good lil show, every fight ended via stoppage. Judo Jim Wallhead got stopped for the first time in his career, getting KO'd cold by Danny Roberts. Wallhead was dominating until he got dropped but i expect Danny Roberts just punched a ticket into the UFC.

Couple of other highlights, Ronnie Mann was submitted in a big upset in the co-main, and Che Mills had his first fight at 185 and looked an absolute beast in destroyed Leeroy Barnes.

Good stuff.