Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah bit of a clusterfuck that. One of the best things about MMA is its simplicity - two guys get in a cage and fight, the winner moves up the ladder, the loser goes down the ladder. This just seems like needless confusion. It reminds me of the Starrcade: Future Shock PPV with the tournaments, they're trying to be fancy but it seems like they're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

• Paid Members

I had to read that about 5 times and i still dont get it. I read somewhere that its basically an excuse/explanation for why they've put together Chandler/Alvarez 2.

I dont see why Bellator dont just continue to the tournament format but exceptions to the rule (like Chandler/Alvarez). The tournament route can guarantee you a shot and earn you some sweet money.

They've boxed themselves in now though and they've tried to explain a way out of it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, there's really no need for them to come up with all this just to justify Chandler vs Alvarez 2. It shouldn't be any more than a case of 'that's the fight the fans want to see and Alvarez is coming off two big wins so we booked the rematch.' No-one was complaining so why all this convoluted bollocks?

• Paid Members

yeh it's fucked.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Ortiz & Rampage after the 'superfight'. Ortiz apparently has a 3 fight fight deal (i think), are they gonna try and keep him a superfight type role or make him go through a tournament?

In a way we shouldn't moan because Bellator's tournament route means that people aint being given free rides and easy routes to the title shots, but there are certain times when you just have to make certain fights. The tournament format screws that up...another example is King Mo/Newton, surely there has to be a rematch, but the way things are laid out it may not ever happen unless the fights play out exactly how Bellator want them, or they wangle things.

Not really any sort of shock. But King Mo/Newton II has been announced for the PPV.

Edit- Should have probably said that this is for the Interim Lightheavyweight title as Vegh is out with a shoulder injury.

Edited by Ross18

• Paid Members
yeh it's fucked.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Ortiz & Rampage after the 'superfight'. Ortiz apparently has a 3 fight fight deal (i think), are they gonna try and keep him a superfight type role or make him go through a tournament?

Rampage doesn't sound keen on doing the tournament thing. And I can't see Tito doing it either with the quick turnaround between fights the tournaments require. He's too banged up surely. So yeah, probably just book them in stand-alone fights. Thing is, after this, is there anything that makes much sense for either? Rampage has the King Mo fight which seems inevitable down the line, as for Tito fuck knows. I can't think of one fight that interests me with him to be honest.

Not really any sort of shock. But King Mo/Newton II has been announced for the PPV.

Edit- Should have probably said that this is for the Interim Lightheavyweight title as Veigh is out with a shoulder injury.

No brainer. As soon as the PPV was announced, that and Chandler-Alvarez 2 were the two that popped into my head as the fights to make. I'm really looking forward to this show now. Say what you want about Rampage vs Tito, I'll still watch it, but there's something to please everyone on this card so far. No-one can grumble at the two rematches. They are quality fights. Chandler vs Alvarez is a UFC quality fight in my opinion. I think those two you could throw on a UFC PPV and it would get FOTN on the majority of cards.

Be interesting to see what else they throw on there.

The Bellator card is looking a bit tasty. I hope my man Mo gets revenge.

Sherdog staff amazingly think this could do okay on PPV, they think casual fans have been drawn in by Tito/Page. One sherdogger says no one is talking about Rua/Chael, but are stoked for Tito/Page.

I remain skeptical, but I will be watching the show.

• Paid Members
One sherdogger says no one is talking about Rua/Chael, but are stoked for Tito/Page.

What?

One sherdogger says

Oh.

Seriously, that's bollocks surely. I've not really heard or read anything very positive about Tito vs Rampage. I'll watch it because I'll basically watch anything but I highly doubt that people are counting the days until that fight. Tito was basically done by the time Rampage signed with the UFC back in 2006 for fuck's sake. They both seem like they're in it just for a payday at this point, more than any real desire to do something that matters in MMA.

The Bellator PPV as a card looks really strong now. But Rampage vs Tito isn't the reason. They bring a bit of (faded) name value and that's basically it. And even that, how many people are going to buy this PPV on the strength of that? The PPV buying public has had plenty of chances to pay to watch these two in the UFC and they didn't exactly set the buyrates alight, even with the UFC's promotion and stronger support. Even back in 2007-08 when Rampage was at his peak and Tito wasn't quite as on his arse, I don't remember anyone ever saying 'I'd love to see Rampage vs Tito'. Certain fights you could still throw out there even with faded fighters. I bet if the UFC booked Liddell vs Wanderlei 2 in 2013 people would get into it even now. Or Nogueira vs Cro Cop 2. Rampage vs Tito doesn't feel like it has that same 'dream fight' appeal to me.

I hope it does well on PPV but I'll be surprised if it does. And if it does I wouldn't credit the booking of Rampage vs Tito much for it. It's going to take a really strong card top to bottom for them to pull even a semi decent number I reckon. They're booking the right fights so far with Chandler vs Alvarez and Mo vs Newton. It should be a great show to watch, but to draw on PPV, I can't see it.

• Paid Members

Oh right. Even more baffling then. Where are they getting that from? Most of the stuff I read about this PPV, in various places online, was almost all negative until they added Chandler vs Alvarez to the card.

But you'd expect the Sherdog staff to know these things so maybe there's some truth to it. I doubt it though. They're not selling me on this imaginary buzz for Rampage vs Tito.

Oh right. Even more baffling then. Where are they getting that from? Most of the stuff I read about this PPV, in various places online, was almost all negative until they added Chandler vs Alvarez to the card.

But you'd expect the Sherdog staff to know these things so maybe there's some truth to it. I doubt it though. They're not selling me on this imaginary buzz for Rampage vs Tito.

I think their mind-set is that it has created a buzz, good or bad. When they are at shows and mixing with the MMA community they will get asked a lot about MMA current events. The one who made the point mentioned "casual fans" so god knows who he is on about. But remember the internet was annoyed about fights that have drawn massive, like Tito vs Ken 2/3.

Jordan Breen noted that Ortiz has a weird magnetism, as he remarked in Canada at a bar when covering a UFC event people asked him who was fighting, he said Jon Jones, Machida and Lil Nog to no real reaction, he then mentioned Ortiz and people went nuts asking when and who Tito was fighting.

I do not buy it either, but people are talking about it more for than say Jones/Gusty and Cain/JDS, even if it is for the wrong reasons.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Happy with Mo/Newton 2. I think the interim title is abit unnecessary, but Bellator will pass it off as 'these guys earned their title shot, so they'll get it', but the winner will likely fight Vegh within 6 months so its all abit pointless.

Still, happy with the fight!

Happy with Mo/Newton 2. I think the interim title is abit unnecessary, but Bellator will pass it off as 'these guys earned their title shot, so they'll get it', but the winner will likely fight Vegh within 6 months so its all abit pointless.

Still, happy with the fight!

I think Mo vs Rampage will be the pay off from all this.

Mo may have to win 2 fights in a row, and Page has to beat Tito, but both are very likely to happen. It would not shock me if Mo beats Newton, and Page beats Tito that we get Mo vs Page right of, and Vegh has to wait to face the winner.

• Paid Members

Nunes/Pitbull was already on that card wand. It's just been bumped to headliner with M'Pumbu dropping out of the Matyushenko fight.

Bellator 98 news, Doug Marshall is out of the Shlemenko fight due to a hand injury :( in steps Brett Cooper to face Shlemenko for the gold...i suppose the new way of sorting out replacement challengers came into play here cause Cooper was KO'd by Marshall in last season final.