Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Anyone breakdown who he is fighting would be welcome. I have not kept up with Bellator since the Askren/Mo card.

Emanuel Newton is his opponent. Record of 19-7-1. Notable wins over James McSweeney & David Heath, with losses to the likes of Ryan Jimmo, Trevor Prangley, Mike van Arsdale & Brian Ebersole.

He competed in the 2012 light-heavy Bellator tournament, losing at the semi-final stage against Attila Vegh (28-4-2). He has a 2-1 Bellator record.

Personally I don't think he offers much in this fight. Lawal should put him away over the first two frames I reckon. I'd be very surprised if Mo doesn't go on to win the whole thing actually, as I don't see either of the other two semi-finalists offering much either.

• Paid Members

I've been listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Dana White and just had this show spoiled. I somehow didn't even think of the possibility of hearing Bellator spoilers on the Rogan podcast :(

SPOILER

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Well fuck me. We all counted Newton out and we look like a right bunch of know nothing twats. Mo got fucking laid out bad with a spinning back fist of all things. I haven't seen the whole fight yet but I've seen the KO. I don't know if Mo's just got overconfident with all his recent striking training or what, but he's better than this surely. Shocker. Not as shocking as Bigfoot KOing Reem but it's a solid second.

The Bellator 205 tournament is wide open now.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've been listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Dana White and just had this show spoiled. I somehow didn't even think of the possibility of hearing Bellator spoilers on the Rogan podcast :(

SPOILER

Well fuck me. We all counted Newton out and we look like a right bunch of know nothing twats. Mo got fucking laid out bad with a spinning back fist of all things. I haven't seen the whole fight yet but I've seen the KO. I don't know if Mo's just got overconfident with all his recent striking training or what, but he's better than this surely. Shocker. Not as shocking as Bigfoot KOing Reem but it's a solid second.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER for the above:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/284695/735272755.gif

Will the month of upsets continue this weekend?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I think Mo losing to Newton is much more shocking than Bigfoot KOing Overeem. I would say that more people would have given Silva a chance against Overeem than would have given Newton a chance against Mo.

Both Mo and Overeem were too sure of themselves though and both deserved to lose.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

:(

That is all.

Edit: okay I will bite

Mo's problem was the same as the Fejao fight, he tried to be fancy with his boxing. Adapting the shoulder roll style to MMA striking is something that is a work in progress and he should have not tested it against such a live opponent when he himself is a work in progress. He tried to be a level 7 in his striking when he is still a level 4. The talent is there, the advancement and experience is not.

Newton took full advantage, it was not a fluke shot. Mo was getting tagged from the start. Mo should have tried wrestling where he would have been at a distinct advantage or less flashy but more effective striking.

Horrible for Bellator, their prime asset has been stopped in his tracks.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Watched the whole thing now, cracking show. Finishes galore and the big upset. Chuffed Saunders got a big finish and I can't wait for Saunders vs Lima 2. I loved their first fight and the way they looked on this show has me really excited for the rematch.

DJM - I hear you but I'd still have Bigfoot/Reem above Newton/Mo on the shocking KO front. I probably gave Bigfoot more of a chance against Reem than I gave Newton against Mo but just the way Bigfoot/Reem played out felt more dramatic to me. All the shit Reem had been talking, Reem dominating the first 2 rounds and just the visual of Bigfoot breaking him in the 3rd and putting him out standing which no-one expected.

The actual Newton/Mo KO was more spectacular but it wasn't as shocking to see him get caught standing because he's still learning striking and it didn't have the come from behind element of Bigfoot/Reem.

2 shockers though. It's only Feb but it's hard to imagine anything topping them unless a GSP/Anderson/Jones get laid out or something

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

my initial reaction was that Mo became too confident in his boxing and got caught, but on reflection it was probably just a case of getting hit with a great shot. It does look like Mo has completely abandoned the offensive wrestling to focus on his standup and up until the freaky backfist he was doing a good job and i have no doubts that he would have got Newton out of there within 2 rounds.

Newton just threw a pot shot backfist and it landed, fair play to him.

Mo's reaction afterwards was very positive, he'll be back.

• Paid Members

this week's offering...

bellator91poster.jpg

Christian M'Pumbu vs. Attila Vegh - for light-heavyweight title

Jason Fischer vs. David Rickels - lightweight tournament semifinals

Saad Awad vs. Will Brooks - lightweight tournament semifinals

Josh Montoya vs. Ed West

fully expect to see a Rickels/Brooks final materialize from this. Rickels/Fischer is actually a rematch from November which was Rickel's first fight at 155, he struggled through that one so Fischer's gotta fancy his chances (Fischer's an injury replacement for Tiger Sarnavskiy if anyone was wondering).

Hopefully the 205 title fight delivers too, that division needs a shot in the arm.

my initial reaction was that Mo became too confident in his boxing and got caught, but on reflection it was probably just a case of getting hit with a great shot. It does look like Mo has completely abandoned the offensive wrestling to focus on his standup and up until the freaky backfist he was doing a good job and i have no doubts that he would have got Newton out of there within 2 rounds.

Newton just threw a pot shot backfist and it landed, fair play to him.

Mo's reaction afterwards was very positive, he'll be back.

Have to disagree partially there EBB.

The quality was coming from Mo and he did show flashes of pure skill, but he got caught with some power shots from Newton that he should not have. Like I said it is all development and experience, don't try and be Floyd Maywether when you are barely Brian Stann!

I have no doubt Mo has the talent to become one of the most refined boxers in MMA, and he could act as a revolutionary of sorts if he makes the shoulder roll style effective in MMA, but for now he should stick to what he knows and works inside the cage, basic boxing, first class wrestling and brutal GnP.

Has Mo ever been that good though? His biggest and best win is against Mousasi and even then I'd pick Mousasi to win 80% of the time now he's sorted out his wrestling. Mo is another one of those guys who talks his way into being a contender rather than earning it. Basically a Chael Sonnen.

Has Mo ever been that good though? His biggest and best win is against Mousasi and even then I'd pick Mousasi to win 80% of the time now he's sorted out his wrestling. Mo is another one of those guys who talks his way into being a contender rather than earning it. Basically a Chael Sonnen.

Yes!

He beat Mousasi when he was basically a rookie. He almost made the Olympics in wrestling. Some experts have agreed he is P4P one of the best wrestlers in MMA today. He has serious power in his hands and a ton of natural gifts. He just runs before he walks, like trying to be Floyd Maywether against Newton or trying to be Bernard Hopkins against Fejao (he admitted the latter himself)

Plus he has no leverage to talk his way to anything, he ha star potential with his charisma, but to the wider audience he is not exposed yet. If he keeps being his own worst enemy, he never will be.

Edited by jimufctna24

Yeah I know his wrestling is top level but I still see Mousasi beating him 4 times out of 5. I'm a massive fan of Mousasi as you can tell! (Probably due to the week he spent training with Fedor 3 years ago!)

Mo has always seemed like this decades Rampage but without the ability to succeed. I have no idea why he thinks it's a good idea to namedrop people like Hopkins when talking about his average stand up game.

I think he has the ability and the work ethic. He just needs to sort his head out when fighting. His stand-up is a work in progress now, but give it a bit more time and I think he has the natural gifts to become a elite MMA striker.

He has serious power, check his knockouts over Gracie and Whitehead. Plus, he learns quick, he adapted his wrestling to MMA very quickly and learnt submission defense fast as well (Mousasi could not sub him over 5 rounds). His striking has shown flashes of excellence, he can slip punches and land combos very well. Physically he is quick and explosive as well.

He has more upside and dimensions to his game than Rampage ever had in his prime. Its just a case of if he uses them to great effect and does not get carried away. Oh and he needs to stop pissing about with TNA.

And yes much like you with Mousasi, I am a King Mo fan :p

Edited by jimufctna24