The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

anyone here a fan of this new trend of emotional hardcore stuff coming out. I know that represents a lot of bands but there seems to be this new movement of 'real emo-hardcore'...proper honest, non trend following shit like Touche Amore, Defeater, La Dispute and so on. They are getting 5* reviews across the board but i just think its all fucking terrible. I hate the vocalists in these bands, instead of actually singing actual melodies or just being flat out aggressive its like they just have an emotional moany rant over the music, at times it almost sounds like people sound when they argue whilst crying. I fucking hate it, i think it comes across so false yet critics and no doubt the hardcore 'scenesters' are jizzing all over it.

I fucking hate the hardcore scene, i love some of the music but i hate the crowd. I went to a h2o gig a few weeks back and there were so many posers there it was unreal. The movement kinda prides itself on freedom of speech and individuality but 90% of the people in there was just another clone, from the dance moves all the way down to his newly purchased flat cap (i blame the gaslight anthem). Cunts, the lot of em.

...and dont get me started on the women in that scene.

There should be nothing emotional about hardcore. Full stop. Tiuche Amore are absolutely awful.

Can't say I've noticed the scene getting posery though, although it's mainly been local undergound hardcore I've been seeing recently.

the scene is full of posery. It's the snobbiest music scene there is.

The Emo, Metal, Hardcore, Rock, Glam, Punk crowds have been snobs since the day it started, it's what the whole scene is about.

Edited by DJ Stevie C

Just back to the new Machine Head record quickly, listened to it last night and after everyone and their mother talking it up... it did absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I need to give it a few more tries, but it just didn't grab me by the throat the way The Blackening did. Just seemed to follow a pretty stock pattern.

• Paid Members

yeh it's a listener, it pays off, stick with it.

I bought that fan pack thing yesterday, excellent. I hope more albums get released like that in future, there's 3 out at the moment, there's the Machine Head one, and there's the new Chickenfoot album and the new Alice Cooper album.

• Paid Members

anyone here a fan of this new trend of emotional hardcore stuff coming out. I know that represents a lot of bands but there seems to be this new movement of 'real emo-hardcore'...proper honest, non trend following shit like Touche Amore, Defeater, La Dispute and so on. They are getting 5* reviews across the board but i just think its all fucking terrible. I hate the vocalists in these bands, instead of actually singing actual melodies or just being flat out aggressive its like they just have an emotional moany rant over the music, at times it almost sounds like people sound when they argue whilst crying. I fucking hate it, i think it comes across so false yet critics and no doubt the hardcore 'scenesters' are jizzing all over it.I fucking hate the hardcore scene, i love some of the music but i hate the crowd. I went to a h2o gig a few weeks back and there were so many posers there it was unreal. The movement kinda prides itself on freedom of speech and individuality but 90% of the people in there was just another clone, from the dance moves all the way down to his newly purchased flat cap (i blame the gaslight anthem). Cunts, the lot of em....and dont get me started on the women in that scene.

There should be nothing emotional about hardcore. Full stop. Tiuche Amore are absolutely awful.Can't say I've noticed the scene getting posery though, although it's mainly been local undergound hardcore I've been seeing recently.
the scene is full of posery. It's the snobbiest music scene there is.
The Emo, Metal, Hardcore, Rock, Glam, Punk crowds have been snobs since the day it started, it's what the whole scene is about.
yeh, i fucking hate it. I aint that bothered about the mass crowds, it's the more eliteist fuckers that piss me off. I've been around all kinds of scenes since i started watching bands because i like all kinds of rock music, but that hardcore crowd is by far the worst for me.

I know exatcly what your saying Ebb. Its especially annoying when your having a disscusion about a band/genre that you have been following for years and are very knowledgeable about to have some random prick say "yeah but thats just a ripoff of/there not as good as INSERT NAME OF BAND THAT NO-ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF", just to try and say "ner! ner! i know music better than you!".I like to think that im not an 'eliteist' when it comes to metal, but its a genre I have followed for years and am knowledgable about

yeh it's a listener, it pays off, stick with it.I bought that fan pack thing yesterday, excellent. I hope more albums get released like that in future, there's 3 out at the moment, there's the Machine Head one, and there's the new Chickenfoot album and the new Alice Cooper album.

I bought the fanpack myself, excellent way to get me to actually buy an album. Can see it being used more frequently in the future.The album itself is certainly one that takes a few listens. I'm on about listen number 6 now, and I'm in love with it, after thinking it was only pretty decent on first play. Well worth sticking with it, you'll not be disappointed.

• Paid Members

anyone here a fan of this new trend of emotional hardcore stuff coming out. I know that represents a lot of bands but there seems to be this new movement of 'real emo-hardcore'...proper honest, non trend following shit like Touche Amore, Defeater, La Dispute and so on. They are getting 5* reviews across the board but i just think its all fucking terrible. I hate the vocalists in these bands, instead of actually singing actual melodies or just being flat out aggressive its like they just have an emotional moany rant over the music, at times it almost sounds like people sound when they argue whilst crying. I fucking hate it, i think it comes across so false yet critics and no doubt the hardcore 'scenesters' are jizzing all over it.

I fucking love La Dispute and Touche Amore. Saw them in London a couple of months ago and it was probably my favourite gig this year.

checked out some of the clips on itunes of those two bands, just to see what people are making reference to. The vocalist from La Dispute sounds like hes having an emo-kid "I've just been dumped" breakdown.Touche Amoure doesnt sound as bad, but the last release (Painting The Sea Between Brightness And Me) runs for a total of 20:48. Sorry, but thats not an album, thats barely even an EP. I'd expect something a bit more for my money. Having said that, nither band seems to be my thing so I wont rip it to shreds for the sake of it.I've just given TesseracT's 'One' album a spin, after hearing its to be re-released instrumental-style. If your a fan of Misery Signals, Between The Buried And Me et al. , its worth checking out

• Paid Members

I often find the comparisons of La Dispute's lead singer to an emo kid sort of amusing. It seems he draws most influence from the guy from MewithYou (in that they sound almost exactly the same) and, despite what you might think from their name, are the least emo band ever. If anything they're more just alt/art rock. I think that's probably where he borrows the spoken word bits and soft/scream transitions from.

I like them mainly because they're just so technical. I was hugely impressed seeing them pull that off live. They just have a lot more depth to them than a lot of hardcore bands and despite the pretentious nature of it, the fact that Somewhere At The Bottom of the River is a hardcore concept album (about his parents divorce from multiple points of view) is something that hasn't really been done before.

Touche Amore are more your typical hardcore band but definitely one of the best bands I've seen live. Absolutely fantastic energy. But with regards to the short album length, punk/harcore albums never run that long. Ebb mentioned H2O above and their last album (arguably one of the best too) has a run time of a little over 25 minutes. It's just par for the course but I'd rather listen to a great 30 minute album than an 80 minute album full of filler.

• Paid Members

anyone read Corey Taylor's book? im about half way through. It's a strange read, i was expecting an autobiography but instead what you get Corey's in depth analysis of the Seven Deadly Sins with stories from his own life included as examples of what he's talking about. It's good stuff but it can be confusing at times, ive had to re-read a few sentences to try and make sense of what he's on about.