The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Gets people thinking they're going to see something special- secret Metallica appearance, Pantera reunion etc. You'd be suprised how many people think they'll witness some earth shattering moment in metal history, only to then complain that it was just an unannounced appearance by someone who plays every other year anyway

Gets people thinking they're going to see something special- secret Metallica appearance, Pantera reunion etc. You'd be suprised how many people think they'll witness some earth shattering moment in metal history, only to then complain that it was just an unannounced appearance by someone who plays every other year anyway

The best i've seen from someone this year is someone hoping for Foo fighters. While i appreciate people being hopeful, it's never gonna happen. It's a health and safety risk for one lol.

Yeah, no way they'd stick Foos in the tent, or have them unannounced at all. They're a name that crops up every year as a band people want to see headline, but as long as Leeds/Reading, Glastonbury, V etc are around I can't see them playing Download ever

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Yeah, no way they'd stick Foos in the tent, or have them unannounced at all. They're a name that crops up every year as a band people want to see headline, but as long as Leeds/Reading, Glastonbury, V etc are around I can't see them playing Download ever

I went to their show the other week at the Stadium of Light, and will be seeing them again at Glastonbury, so i'm all set fo my dose of Foos lol. It just amazes me some of the names that come up every year for these surprise slots. Aside from most being unrealistic, they wouldn't dare put half of those bands in a small tent due to the crowd they'd pull. Glastonbury once had Thom Yorke do a surprise slot at the Park, and that area just isn't equipped to deal with the kind of crowd someone like that pulls. It becomes dangerous for all those in attendance. So Glasto have made a point of not having surprises of that level in smaller areas of the festival.

• Paid Members

R&L put Green Day in a tent the other year. Was supposedly crazy. Foo Fighters will never play Download in any capacity, they were apparently booked once & pulled out (2008?) & Copping courted them again, giving Grohl a high spot with TCV & Taylor Hawkins side project a spot too. Nothing came from it.

Yeh that was a weird deal, didnt like only like 3 bands play the main stage all day?

Four in total. Them Crooked Vultures, Killswitch Engage, 36 Crazyfists, Unearth.

Having less on the main stage was the sacrifice they made in order to have AC/DC play knowing that they would shift tickets and AC/DC hadn't played an outdoor UK show since 2001 when they played Milton Keynes Bowl and the first time at Donington since 1991

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Sepultura have announced some dates for November:

Nov 17: Manchester Club Academy

Nov 18: Glasgow Classic Grand

Nov 19: Bristol Marble Factory

Nov 20: London Electric Ballroom

You can catch them earlier though they play Bloodstock on August 9th, Dublin Academy on August 10th and Chester Live Rooms on August 11th

How is it a secret if they've announced who's playing?

I don't know, it was just on the front page this morning - http://downloadfestival.co.uk/news/secret-sets-what-secret-sets

They've probably been looking at the forum and people have got their hopes up, and rather than have them shit on the bands when they come out, this is damage limitation maybe?

• Paid Members

Yeah, looks like there might be a couple of showers but for the most part it should be cool. After taking 2014 off I'm super psyched for this year. It's only taken 22 years but I'm finally gonna get to see Ice-T live.