The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

love a spot of music plagiarism...

Sweet Child O' Mine is the latest tune to get accused of being a rip off:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/11/sweet-child-o-mine-guns-n-roses-ripoff-australian-crawl-unpublished-critics/

They sound nothing alike though. Not even the same chord progression and only a hint of the melody in the verse.

• Paid Members

There's definitely similarities.

A hint of the vocal melody in the verse. The chord progression is: D, C, G, D - these are the 3 most commonly used chords in the world, along with Em & Am/A.

Edited by herbie747

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

went to see Coal Chamber the other night in Bristol, and it didn't suck!

If there were ever a band you'd think would never reform after the downfall of nu-metal, it was Coal Chamber. They were popular for a few years but they pretty much became a laughing stock after that, they were always the brunt of the nu-metal joke, and with Dez Fafara doing a pretty good job of regaining musical credibility you'd never think he'd go back to Coal Chamber...he did, they've put out a new album (which is probably the best thing they've ever done) and after some festival shows they finally busted out a full UK tour.

Coal Chamber were quality, i thought they made the mistake of pretty much blowing through all their best material first, but that's a minor quibble they killed it for the most part...and special mention to Mikey Cox on drums, guy is a fucking beast behind the kit. Coal Chamber on record may sound pretty dated but it's the kind of music that's just designed to be played live, it's just got a bounce and heaviness to it that just makes it all make sense.

Support was a throwback too...Soil just did their thing, i've never really followed them on record but ive seen em twice recently and they just churn out solid heavy rock/metal, crowd lapped it up. The Defiled filled in for American Head Charge which was a bit of a loss, they aint bad but it just doesn't do anything for me. They seem to have a bit of an identity crisis in terms of what kind of band they wanna be, they are popular though and had a lot of their own fans show up on the night...ive seen em twice now though and both times the keyboard player has got on my tit, he's one of those annoying fuckers who desperately wants to be a frontman without actually contributing anything of note to the band, tosser. Dope opened up! Fucking Dope! Their first ever UK shows which is a bit nuts, i've always had a soft spot for them and they were quality depsite starting early as fuck, a band worthy of their cult following.

I've sen the Defiled before, because an ex was a big fan of them, but I found they were just middle of the road metalcore stuff. As for them having an identity crisis it's only really the drummer who looks out of place, he obviously doesn't want to dress up and put on makeup. It's the keyboard player who makes all their stage clothes and as Ebb said he does seem like a tool. Though I remember from seeing American Head Charge their keyboard player was also a bit of a tool who is trying to be the centre of attention.

• Paid Members

I think The Defiled have toned it down a little now, they've lost the makeup but still wear the clothing and whatnot, it just seems like they aint sure what it is they want to be, lookwise or soundwise...they are a decent band though with some quality tunes.

Ghost released a promo video of Papa III being introduced, absolute batshit crazy stuff.