The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Went to the world premiere of Lamb Of God's "As The Palaces Burn" documentary that was held at the Trocadero in Philadelphia last night with the band, crew and their family present along with the director and the movie team.

Honestly me and Suz only went as the band was going to be there. I don't know if we would've gone had it not been the world premiere with the band there and a promise of a Q&A. However I am more than glad we did.

At the beginning this was only ever intended to be a documentary about metal/hard rock/punk rock/hardcore and it's universal appeal as it interviewed fans across the world including third world countries to show how music connects and touches us all regardless of locations, ethnicity, gender and religion. The documentary portion itself actually wrapped up a month before Randy's arrest at the Czech Republic.

From there the documentary team are brought back in to follow the band and their thoughts and feelings with Randy in jail. They go over the legal proceedings brought against him and the effort it took to release Randy from jail, long after several bails were posted. After Randy's release they talk indepth in regards to how this incident has affected each member as well as them mourning the loss of a fan and these tragic circumstances.

Randy's trial is gripping viewing and it really does feel like a no-win situation for him and the band.

I cannot recommend watching this documentary enough. The opening portion of the film does feel like typical heavy metalhead persona from Blythe but you do learn more about him. One stereotypical sentence about himself really does resonate through the film "if not for heavy metal I'd either be dead or in jail"....

That's true but they seemed to fall off the planet after that, I guess back at that time there was a buzz about heavier British bands like Speedhorn really infiltrating the mainstream or just the worlds metal scene. It's silly to think that now but at the time it was thought by some.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Raging Speedhorn seemed to ride nu-metals coat tails onto the scene despite being as far from a nu-metal band you could get (i remember seeing the main stage at Ozzfest on a nu-metal heavy bill) The first two Speedhorn albums are quality, and they were intense live...the wheels fell off that the 2nd album and they just carried on with different lineups before calling it a day.

For a few years though they were strangely popular.

Edited by Ebb

Didn't one of them go on to form Viking Skull?

Just been channel hopping and Kid Rock was on Scuzz with that fucking awful (is there any other kind when it comes to him?) 'All Summer Long' song.

What's with the Southern/Confederacy/Redneck gimmick? As he mentions over and over, hes from Detroit (I.e. the North)

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

So this is happening over in the States...

tumblr_inline_n19s85trMv1qzxlbn.jpg

What a cracking line-up that is. I absolutely love Brand New (and the only time i got to see them live was when i was pissed out of my face. Really, really, REALLY regret that one). Circa Survive, Braid and Kevin Devin are bloody brilliant as well. Don't mind a bit of Say Anything either. Totally jealous of this. Wish they would bring a similar tour over here at some point.