MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

It's a weird fight to even imagine. I'd pick Nog on points, I just think he'd use his size and weight on Wand and back then he had some pretty good boxing (for MMA at least) whereas Wand was more wild. Nog's chin was granite back then as well. It would be a really interesting one to watch. And again one I'd have to remain neutral for.

I think you just nailed it. I would break it down but I would just be repeating what you wrote.

It is a weird fight imagine.

• Paid Members

ive seen bits and pieces, they were definotly loaded with future stars. The old heavyweight scene (Lavar Johnson, James Irvin, Doug Marshall) was wild, some crazy fights between those guys.

i need to check out more of it.

Are the very early WEC shows any good? I'm about to start reviewing them for this thread. I see Mac Danzig vs. Kurt Pellegrino for WEC 4 which is the first one I'm doing. Appealing.

I've not watched all the early shows, but from what I have seen there is usually something that makes the shows worthwhile. There are guys like Chris Leben, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Shane Carwin and Glover Teixiera early in their careers and before they went to the UFC, there were stalwarts like Doug Marshall (and wait til you see how much he changes throughout his WEC career), Antonio Banuelos and Razor Rob. Whilst you also have the star of the pre-Zuffa era, Olaf Alfonso, and his first fight against John Polakowski (WEC 9) is my all time favourite fight.

Something like that.

As I recall, he made some claims on the Jordan Breen Show a few years back that did not add up. It may have been something to do with charity work, and he contradicted himself about it and it ended up not making much sense.

I remember Sherdog forums roasting him afterwards.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Funnily enough, on the subject of pre-Zuffa era WEC shows, I watched Nate Diaz vs Hermes Franca on Youtube just a couple of days ago. It's early days in Nate's career and Franca was at his peak but it's still a really good competitive fight.

Can't post the link but the full thing's on Youtube if anyone's interested. Worth a look.

Are the very early WEC shows any good? I'm about to start reviewing them for this thread. I see Mac Danzig vs. Kurt Pellegrino for WEC 4 which is the first one I'm doing. Appealing.

I've not watched all the early shows, but from what I have seen there is usually something that makes the shows worthwhile. There are guys like Chris Leben, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Shane Carwin and Glover Teixiera early in their careers and before they went to the UFC, there were stalwarts like Doug Marshall (and wait til you see how much he changes throughout his WEC career), Antonio Banuelos and Razor Rob. Whilst you also have the star of the pre-Zuffa era, Olaf Alfonso, and his first fight against John Polakowski (WEC 9) is my all time favourite fight.

My memory must really be shot as I've just been checking my DVD list and I've watched everything from WEC 5 - 10. Fights to look out for are:

Jack Cardenas vs Chris Sanford WEC 6

Jeremy Jackson vs Shonie Carter WEC 6

Randy Spence vs Olaf Alfonso WEC 7

Chris Leben vs Brian Sleeman WEC 8

Doug Marshall vs Lavar Johnson WEC 9

John Polakowski vs Olaf Alfonso WEC 9

Bret Bergmakr vs Daisuke Ishii WEC 10

You also have some classic Cecil Peoples officiating in the AJ Weiner vs Poppies Martinez fight at WEC 8.

• Paid Members

You forgot Joe Riggs vs Alex Stiebling from WEC 9 Magnum. Brutal fight and an insane ending. Leben vs Swick was good as well. WEC 9 was a tremendous show pretty much start to finish. In fact I think I reviewed that show in this very thread a while back.

What are the second and third Olaf-Polakowski fights like Magnum? I love the first fight but haven't seen the others yet. Any good?

Frank Shamrock returns on a early show, I think that is considered to be the biggest of the pre-zuffa era. I forgot Olaf Alfonso existed, by some accounts he was meant to be a conman.

WEC 6 by the looks of things! Return of a Legend is that one, so it has to be Frank Shamrock going on what you're saying.

Only two fights into WEC 5 but I'm already enjoying it. A good showing from Mike Swick and a belting opener. This could be a fun ride.

the one ends prematurely due to an injury...im pretty sure that one was shaping up to be a classic as well though.

That's the second fight between them. It's a very good one rounder that Olaf dominates, but somewhere along the line he pops his hip out. He tries to get a chiropractor to put it back in, and comes out hopping wanting to fight in hue second, but a Rosenthal with hair wont let him and he stops the fight. I've never found or seen the third in their trilogy anywhere.

Agreed about Stiebling/Riggs Wand, and Steibling's fight with Tim McKenzie from WEC 10 follows a similar path. I don't remember anything bar the finish of Leben/Swick, but that's the fight that led to the tension between the two of them on the first TUF.

• Paid Members
Only two fights into WEC 5 but I'm already enjoying it. A good showing from Mike Swick and a belting opener. This could be a fun ride.

It will be. I can't think of an MMA promotion that was as consistently as fun as WEC was. There's UFC of course but they have their duds now and then. WEC usually delivered really fun shows top to bottom almost every time, even when the card might not have looked great going in.

Looking forward to reading your reviews. I've seen the bulk of the shows but there's a few of the early ones I've never seen so it will be good to get an idea what they're like.

Agreed about Stiebling/Riggs Wand, and Steibling's fight with Tim McKenzie from WEC 10 follows a similar path. I don't remember anything bar the finish of Leben/Swick, but that's the fight that led to the tension between the two of them on the first TUF.

Don't think I saw the McKenzie fight but I think I've got it so I'll give it a look soon. Leben vs Swick was a good fight even before the finish from what I recall, I really enjoyed it.

I've got WEC 24 (which the 3rd Olaf/Polakowski fight was from) on DVD, think I got it off someone in a bulk buy of discs for peanuts. But for some reason it only has 2 or 3 fights on it and the Olaf/Polak 3 fight isn't one of them sadly. Looking up the event on wikipedia it ends in a split decision as well so hopefully another good close back and forth fight.

I wish Zuffa would release a proper Best Of WEC. I know they had that DVD out but that only had 6 fights on it. I want a proper one in volumes with the best fights from each show. There's so many guys on them shows who went onto big things I'm sure even a lot of casual fans would pick it up.

• Paid Members

Stiebling's one of them unsung old school guys, he fought a ridiculous amount of future stars...one of those guys that's forgotten about though. I remember him popping up on the old Pride shows when i was trying to digest all that stuff.

Ive asked this before but i dont think i ever got a response...is there any reason why John Polakowski only ever fought Olaf? i know he went into TUF and had a single UFC fight but that was a good few years after the Olaf trilogy. I seem to remember him taking the first fight as a last minute replacement and obviously the rematches were marketable but it's strange that he never fought anyone else.

check this...

Sherdog's Top 10 WEC Fights

outside of Olaf/Polakowski I and Franca/Diaz it's mainly later stuff, but the honorouble mention list has some older WEC stuff in it.

Edited by Ebb