Best Event of 2009

tiger_rick

Best Event of 2009?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone please refresh my memory, what happened on the April 6th edition of Raw?

WWE Raw (6th April 2009)

- Colon's vs Miz & Morrison in a great match, much better than the WM match the night before

- Steamboat, Cena, Jeff, Punk & Rey vs Edge, Jericho, Matt, Big Show & Kane was great

- A 10-woman Raw vs SmackDown tag match with hardly any botched moves

- Vince vs Orton ending with Batista returning to help the McMahon's

- My 30th birthday.

:thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Had to go with DG UK. It was a dream come true for me to see Toryumon wrestlers live and I'd always thought I'd have to go to Japan to do it. Aside from that, as Haraga mentioned, it was two stunning matches complimented by three good matches. Shingo vs Susumu was out of this world. I knew it would be match of the night but I still wasn't ready for just how good it was in person.

Also, isnt it a little bit strange that Wrestlemania 25 can potentially win both Best and Worst event of the year?

In the interests of fairness[/vince], I downloaded WM25 and watched it from start to finish (though I haven't seen the tag team unification match that wasn't on the PPV) to give it a fair crack. I thought it was a good show. I'm surprised it's on the worst event of the year poll as well.

Money in the Bank was a fun spotfest. Shelton Benjamin is a nut. I've now seen a grand total of two Kofi Kingston matches and really should check out more. He's so much fun to watch, and the height he gets on a standing jump is absurd.

The Divas battle royal was a fairly pointless mess. Molly Holly, Sunny etc. might as well not have bothered without ring introductions. Oh, and that Kid Rock show sucked and was too long. He's rubbish. Also Santino/Santina has never amused me, so that didn't work on a personal level either.

Jericho vs the Legends I liked. I can see why Ricky Steamboat is in the running for best individual performance, he looked fantastic. Piper's brawling was fine, Snuka's input was kept mercifully short. Oh, and much credit to Jericho for his performance against all three of them.

Matt vs Jeff was better than I thought it would be. Violent, brutal but maybe could have done with a bit more tangible hatred. Still, some good stunts and some great work from the announce team to play up the story behind it.

Rey vs JBL... well, nothing much to say there is there? I liked Rey's Joker costume and JBL was gold on the mic both before and after.

Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels was a big WWE blockbuster main event and quite obviously and expectedly stole the show. I understand that world title matches go on last because that's how it is, but when another match on the card is blatantly going to destroy the whole show, they should really consider bucking the trend. It was Rock/Hogan all over again and it's no wonder the plodding Orton/HHH match got shat on.

Anyway, yeah, I still think WWE is at its best when they do this, right down to the outstanding hype video and ludicrous entrance for Michaels. It's WRESTLEMANIA~! and all that good stuff. The match was great. Finisher overkill was appropriate in the context and the little touches and facial expressions from both men were absolutely incredible. Undertaker's eyes after Michaels kicked out of the first tombstone are quite rightly the enduring image for most, but few can do "steely determination" quite like a battered Shawn Michaels. Gripping, epic, show-stealing and just a 100% WWF main event, and when they get that right it's hard to imagine anyone doing it better.

Cena/Show/Edge surprised me. I liked it quite a lot. Cena and Edge generate enough heat between them to revive the crowd some and the match was a well executed triple threater. Loved the finishing spot with Cena busting out the superhuman strength.

HHH/Orton was alright. I was probably as burned out as the crowd by this point though. Credit again to the announce team for selling the significance of losing the title on a DQ or count out given how angry HHH was at young Randall. Was alright but was doomed to disappoint.

Sooo.

Great: Michaels vs Taker

Good: Cena/Edge/Show, Jericho vs Legends,

Decent: MITB, HHH/Orton, Matt vs Jeff

Bleh: Divas Battle Royal, Rey/JBL non-match.

Oh, and Austin's send off was nice. :)

When looking at previous candidates for worst event of the year like December to Dismember it seems ludicrous that this is in the running.

• Paid Members
When looking at previous candidates for worst event of the year like December to Dismember it seems ludicrous that this is in the running.

December To Dismember didn't happen this year; it's in the Worst Event Of The Decade poll, and it's almost certain to win it.

• Paid Members

I know it wasn't this year, that's why I said previous candidates. :confused:

I'm saying I didn't think WM25 was anywhere near bad enough to be on a "worst event of the year" poll when something like December to Dismember is the calibre of show I'd expect to see on there going by previous years. Maybe there was too much "meh" this year and not enough actively, offensively bad shows, so a fair-to-middling Wrestlemania is singled out for not blowing people's minds.

• Paid Members
I know it wasn't this year, that's why I said previous candidates. :confused:

I'm saying I didn't think WM25 was anywhere near bad enough to be on a "worst event of the year" poll when something like December to Dismember is the calibre of show I'd expect to see on there going by previous years. Maybe there was too much "meh" this year and not enough actively, offensively bad shows, so a fair-to-middling Wrestlemania is singled out for not blowing people's minds.

Whoops, misread.

You're right about WM25 - as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't belong on the "Worst Event" poll, because at the very least it has Taker/HBK, which, over-rated as it is at the moment, is still absolutely cracking. That said, it also doesn't belong on the "Best Event" poll either, because there was just too much dragging it down, and there were enough PPVs this year that had a lot better stuff.

I agree with most of JLM's thoughts on why he thought WrestleMania XXV was a good show, although I still found it disappointing partly because of the poor build-up and the anti-climatic main event (not that I

expected Hunter/Orton to surpass Taker/Shawn but like I said in the nominations thread I did think they could have gone out there and had an entertaining brawl which sent the majority home happy), and partly because the standard for WM in recent years has been very high as has the standard for monthly PPVs in general. No chance was it the event of 2009, but by the same token I don't consider it the worst.

Someone please refresh my memory, what happened on the April 6th edition of Raw?

WWE Raw (6th April 2009)

- Colon's vs Miz & Morrison in a great match, much better than the WM match the night before

- Steamboat, Cena, Jeff, Punk & Rey vs Edge, Jericho, Matt, Big Show & Kane was great

- A 10-woman Raw vs SmackDown tag match with hardly any botched moves

- Vince vs Orton ending with Batista returning to help the McMahon's

- My 30th birthday.

:thumbsup:

- Colons vs Miz & Morrison was an underrated feud. I thought they had plenty of good matches but this was in the top three.

- Steamboat, Cena, Jeff, Punk & Rey vs Edge, Jericho, Matt, Big Show & Kane might have been the best Raw match of the year. As much as I dug watching him roll back time at Mania and Backlash I actually think this might have been his best work. I liked the way all the feuds from the previous night came together and everyone got the chance to shine without it feeling like too much of a rushed mess.

- There have actually been some decent multi-Diva tags this year including the one at Bragging Rights. If they insist on getting all the Divas on the WrestleMania card again this year (and you know they will) then this should be the way to go. Beats having them all at ringside whilst Melina/Ashley is happening or that horrible battle royal from this year. Pick 10, 12, 14 of them and let them all have a few seconds in the ring to hit their big move.

- My 29th birthday so one good thing to come out of this thread is that I feel younger (thanks Dopper!).

Anyway, I think the card of the year is Backlash - some good stuff from Swagger/Christian (if not up to the standard of their second TV match), Steamboat rolling back the years against Jericho with a nice tribute to WrestleMania III, another decent match between the brothers Hardy, Good Ol' JR getting ribbed, Orton winning the title, and one of Cena's many quality main events this time against Edge.