DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I think I should give them a try. Although I ought to watch Eternal Sunshine too.

Anyways, my Christmas day viewing:

Just Friends

Because I like Ryan Reynolds, and I'd read a few reviews where people said it was better than expected. It was, but not by a lot. Three mega-likeable leads, not bad script, etc. etc.

Observe and Report

I didn't realise til the film had ended that it was written and directed by the same man behind sitcom "Eastbound and Down". Now, I don't like that all that much - I find the main character completely unappealing and the way the show obviously loves him is a bad thing. Anyway, I think that series would have made a better film, if this is anything to go by. Seth Rogen's best performance by a mile, and the very odd mix between straight-ish comedy and a fairly bleak portrayal of a Travis Bickle-style character is handled about as well as it could be.

Santa`s Slay

due to it being christamas (`IT IS` I hear you shout!) I decided to watch Santas Slay - starring everyones favourite undefeated wrestler - GoldBerg.

Alot of folk have slagged this film off and it has featured in the Bottom list of crappy movies of all time lists. why they did this I`ll never know.

Oh yes I do!

Its fuckin awful!

Theres a back story of the fact that santa is infact the bastard child of Satan and that he was an evil bastard who killed and mained folk just for a laugh. Then one day an angel played him at Ice Curling (yes Curling! which isnt acted out but shown using stop motion animation), beat him and he had to be a nice present delivery person for 1000 years. Now the 1000 years is up and hes allowed to kill again. Thats it. Santa randomly kills folk in some of the worst fashion, rams a little old lady off the road, spikes another guy with a candle holder, drowns someone in eggnog.

Its basically 80 minutes of Bill Goldberg RANDOMLY killing folk in a little town in the most unoriginal style ever. Theres no gore, no scaryness, no plot and absolutely no need to ever see this film

Nothing happens. Theres a chase on a snowmobile while santa throws exploding presents from his sleigh, worst use of wobbling camera ever!

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

So do they defeat Santa?

NO, the film ends so anticlimatically you`ll wish they had made the sequal they were leaving the ending opening for just so this movie ends!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Should you ever have the oppertunity to watch this film I would accept, but only if A) you have eternal life and the loss of 80 minutes will ultimetly mean nothing to you, B) if you ever want to see how NOT to make a movie, C) your a huge Goldberg Mark and everything he does is amazing, D) you want to understand why i want a refund and I watched it for free!

I watched Home Alone 2.

I got fed up with basically watching the same movie again, but there was some super stuff left in the tank at times. The "yet we don't forget our luggage" when talking to the police officer cracked me right up, but the best part HAD to be the pipe part. I really wish I had Sky+ at that point because I really needed to pause that and rewind and watch again. There was more wee moments around it that made it enjoyable and the trap house was more cartoony than before. The big tool chest bundling down the stairs was a hilarious visual as well. :laugh:

Infact, fuck it, I enjoyed it.

Went to see Sherlock Holmes last night. Its a little different from the Holmes we're used to, but I really enjoyed it. I'm a massive fan of Robert Downey Jr and once again he shines here as Holmes, his eccentricity mixed with Jude Law's straight Watson is a great combination and the film is often carried by just that chemistry. Its not without its faults, but its well worth a watch and very entertaining.

• Paid Members

also saw Sherlock Holmes, i thought it was fucking great. I know a lot of people are put off by the fact that the movie isn't the traditional 'Sherlock Holmes' in style, but fuck it, it's a new twist on the character (apparently it's closer to the book than past versions, i have no idea?), very entertaining, funny, fast paced and basically just a good fucking time. Hopefully it develops into a series of movies, the foundations have been well and truly laid. I highly recommend it.

Some of it stretches "canon" a bit (like Holmes does know martial arts, decades before most people in Britain had even heard of them, but not to the extent shown in the film) but it looks like fun anyway.

Scanners

Never seen this, oddly enough. Bits and bobs, but never the whole film. Really good, I thought, although it is a bit cheesy at times what with the gurning faces representing use of powers and so on. But it does have a lot that I liked, and the main bunch of performances were all pretty solid (although it's always hard buying straight-to-DVD king Michael Ironside as a legit mainstream film villain).

Freddie vs Jason

I`ve seen this movie before, a good while back, but forgot enough about it to watch it again.

Plot: Freddies dead, Jasons dead! Freddie decides to make a return but cant cause the kids of elm street dont fear him, and without fear Freddie has no power. So He reanimates Jason and sends him on his merry killing ways to strike fear into the kids again, therefore growing in power and destroying some kids himself!

All is going killingly until Jason decides to kill a sleeping kid just as freddie is about to kill them in the dream world. Freddie doesnt get the kill and gets pissed at jason. Que some freddie vs jason milarky.

My memory served me better than watching it again as I remember the film being quite smooth and good paced when really its more 45 minutes being boringly over plottified (yes we know the plot please dont explain it again!) and then 45 minutes of freddie vs jason (which is excellent!)

Theres some neat tricks and great francise injokes and the fight is stunning, especially if you`ve followed both characters through their own individual storylines but its just not lacking enough depth to stand on its own.

A good attempt at cross promotion and franchise continuation, well worth watching with a bag of popcorn and a juice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Soldier:_Regeneration

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

I'm sad I watched this, when I still haven't seen lots of good and entertaining films. Some Eastern Europeans hire a disused factory for a few weeks, bring in Van Damme, Lundgren and Andrei Arlovski and make a brand new Universal Soldier film. Yay.

Black Dynamite

Black-Dynamite_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Parody / homage of the 70s blaxploitation genre. But not the famous films of that genre, the cheap shitty ones that came along at the end. So there's lots of deliberately wooden acting, continuity is largely ignored and everyone has a good time. It's also fun seeing the uptight Alison Blake of "Eureka" as one of Black Dynamite's ladies.

The Castle

German language version, from 1968.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063563/

Completely enthralling, one of those lead performances which I'll remember for years - Max Schell says little, but speaks volumes, as they say. The feeling of the book is captured perfectly, and the ending is one of those which makes everything that's gone before it appear better, which is the best thing that can be said for an ending, I think. If you have 90 minutes going begging, track down a copy of this, don't expect to have everything tied up (the novel it's based on was unfinished, and the film captures that quite well) and you'll have a really rewarding experience, I think.

Role Models

i enjoyed watching it, not many lol moments but all in all a good film which i'll watch again.

No Country for Old Men

Really Good film which had me glued to the screen.