DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

im gay for Eastwood also...gutted ive been trying to buy all the Eastwood DVD's, then they go and release that! doh! always the same.

there's a few things in there i aint got, but i'll pick them up in time.

Quatermass is great. All of the them, whether it's the old TV show from the 50s, the Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass 2 (with a rare sight of Sid James playing a serious roll) and Quatermass & The Pit.

If you like the old Quatermass TV show, you should watch some of the William Hartnell Dr Whos, and vice verca.

Just been to see Piranha 3D, which is one of the goriest films I've seen at the cinema. I enjoyed it. Unneccessary gratuitous violence, nudity and Christopher Lloyd playing an eccentric scientist. What's not to like!

• Paid Members

continued my cinema going (6 times in 12 times) and saw The Switch at the request of the girlfriend. Not usually my kind of thing, but this wasn't the slapstick style rom-com that i fucking despise it was a little more serious (albeit based around a pretty ridiculous premise) and i really enoyed it. Jason Bateman and Jeff Goldblum riffing off each other was great and this kind of film will only work if the relationship between the father and son works, it does and i was pleasantly surprised.

• Paid Members

This past weekend, with the good lady and my boy Zackface away in South Wales, I took a trip to Newquay with Chosen Hill RFC and enjoyed a night out with my good friends referee Chris "Referee" Roberts and Iestyn Rees, amongst others. As a result of the trip, we got to enjoy some films on the coach.

"What shall we watch first?" was asked. After some suggestions, we started the day with Old School.

This was the film that first introduced me to Will Ferrell and i love it as much now as I did when I first saw it. Feel good factor 5 out of 5. It feels like a very natural film, as if you could actually be in the situations with them (even though some of them are a little extreme...) Glorifying a break-up, being dumped has never seemed like such fun!!

4 stars

"What's next?" went up the cry, as the service stop concluded. Next up was Con Air.

As extreme as this film is at times, it is classic action! Nicholas Cage (who is either really great or really shite to me) has a good day in this one and comes across as bad ass. John Malchovich is perfect for his role and Steve Buscemi worries the shit out of me. Great film to enjoy with a bunch of lads. Not one for the missus...

4 stars

Thus concluded the trip down to newquay...

This Sunday, after a night of excessive alcohol and dancing, me and my good friends set out on the journey back up to Gloucester. Heavy were the eyes that were about to endure a minimum 4 hours on the coach.

"What film shall we put on?" and after debate between Gran Torino and Remember the Titans, Titans was chosen.

Had I seen this first, I would have probably enjoyed it more than Coach Carter, as to me the two seemed very similar (substitute basketball for American football and racism for coaching methods). It seemed to be trying to hard to be funny at times when it presented itself as a serious film. I maybe a bit unfair on the film as it was not unenjoyable, (and probably hampered by the impending hangover) but it was not all that great. Probably one I will go back and re-watch, which isn't a bad sign, just at the time I watched it, it wasn't to my taste.

2.5 stars

"We have time for one more" went up the cry. How High? was the choice.

Unfortunately, by this point I was exhausted and fell asleep within minutes of the next film. I will go out on a limb and say from the few minutes I did see that this would likely be a low rated film.

1 star, at a guess.