General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Police hit some dickhead with a stick for taking the piss, fine. If he dies cause of it, afterwards, policeman needs to be looked at.

Other than that, bunch of dickhead rioters acting like dickheads get hurt a little bit? Good. Dickheads.

Can somebody confirm something for me about these Tube strikes? I read that Tube staff are demanding three days pay and a day in lieu for working Bank Holidays. Now is this for EACH bank holiday they work or just an annual thing for working all of the bank holidays?

As someone that has always worked Bank Holidays without any complain I find both pretty stunning demands.

Can somebody confirm something for me about these Tube strikes? I read that Tube staff are demanding three days pay and a day in lieu for working Bank Holidays. Now is this for EACH bank holiday they work or just an annual thing for working all of the bank holidays?

As someone that has always worked Bank Holidays without any complain I find both pretty stunning demands.

I've been following the situation recently, and far be it for me to claim that something isn't quite right, but I find the following to be rather suspicious;

First of all, we have media reports of "strikes on the day of the royal wedding in London", and other reports of the "completely unreasonable demands" being put forward by this Union and it's greedy members, which then opens the door for the likes of David Cameron and Boris Johnson to start spouting their bile about tightening up the laws on Unions being able to strike.

Meanwhile, if you dig a little deeper and actually check and see what the Union in question has to say about the matter, you realise it's all just rumours and bullshit designed to aid this Conservative Government in carrying on where Thatcher left off in their attempts to destroy the Unions in the UK.

ASLEF, the Union in question has relased this statement;

ASLEF

Thank god they did reel the union maniacs in. We can still produce and trade with the world. They've slowly been clawing some back, and thankfully people are having enough of it. Wildcat violence should be crushed and it's people jailed.

Why are tube strikes on a bank holiday such a bad thing anyway? Won't there be less people wanting to travel in London on that day than normal? Granted, some people might go down for the wedding, but not as many as would normally be going to work in London on a normal working day, surely?

Why are tube strikes on a bank holiday such a bad thing anyway? Won't there be less people wanting to travel in London on that day than normal? Granted, some people might go down for the wedding, but not as many as would normally be going to work in London on a normal working day, surely?

Well thats what the disputes are over, they also grab headlines, particularly Boxing Day and The Royal Wedding.

I've been following the situation recently, and far be it for me to claim that something isn't quite right, but I find the following to be rather suspicious;

First of all, we have media reports of "strikes on the day of the royal wedding in London", and other reports of the "completely unreasonable demands" being put forward by this Union and it's greedy members, which then opens the door for the likes of David Cameron and Boris Johnson to start spouting their bile about tightening up the laws on Unions being able to strike.

Meanwhile, if you dig a little deeper and actually check and see what the Union in question has to say about the matter, you realise it's all just rumours and bullshit designed to aid this Conservative Government in carrying on where Thatcher left off in their attempts to destroy the Unions in the UK.

ASLEF, the Union in question has relased this statement;

ASLEF

• Paid Members
Good post David but its pretty obvious that certain posters are just going to ignore anything you post post and just take the opposite stance on any debate or topic you get involved in.

http://www.theshadesoflove.com/images/fellatio.jpg

Edited by neil
slightly NSFW

Lol, I was just asking a questions as what I read on two different sites wasnt exactly well worded. Im simply asking whether Tube strikers are demanding three days pay for EACH bank holiday they work PLUS a day in lieu or whether they are asking this for working ALL Bank Holidays in the calender year.

I have no agenda, arguement or side. Im simply asking a question to clarify something. Many Thanks.

There's basically a revolution happening in Tunisia today!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/9361546.stm

Don't know if many you have been there, but it's a great country that is basically a benign dictatorship. However the pro-democracy movement's exploded this last week, the President of the last 25 years has said he's stepping down, and he's just sacked the government and called for new elections. Could be a crucial moment in history, and you can follow it LIVE on the BBC (just like the cricket).

Update: there appears now to have been a full-on coup. This is amazing stuff, reminds me of the collapse of communism in the easter bloc countries back in the late 80s.

Update: there appears now to have been a full-on coup. This is amazing stuff, reminds me of the collapse of communism in the easter bloc countries back in the late 80s.