General politics discussion thread

David

Well to be fair it's still not exactly clear just what the motives behind occupy wall street actually are.

Whatever it is it's not working is it?

I think a more honest description would be that people who rely on the daily mail for their understanding of the world have no idea what the motives of the wall st protest are, and assume it's hypocritical because some of them have rich parents so they should jolly well stop it and get back to being proper members of society.

But then people who rely on the daily mail for their understanding of the world are left with little ability not to be a moron, and morons never really understand much anyway.

So it's not a massive surprise, but hardly fair to blame the protestors for not explaining their motives properly.

Edited by Kiffy

Would you say that's kind of a problem with street protests generally, mickey?

Not really, regular street protests are usually marches, but when you occupy a space there should be a clear reason behind it & hope it leads to change or even a negotiation.

But these folks just seem to be there, nothing seems to be happening at all.

Re the nothing happening bit, there's a general feeling that protests which don't involve violence are less no valid as a result (of course there are those who quite noticeably do not agree, but we'll leave them out of it).

If you really want to understand why they're there mickey I'd recommend looking into it, you probably won't give too much credence to what I say so I won't bother explaining it to you. But a quick google (making sure to avoid any links to the daily mail) might give you some actual understanding of the subject you're commentating on.

The base principles of protests are justified, inequality and how the gap between the rich & poor is growing, but there has to be a form of economic differences in modern society, alright at the moment it's wider than it probably should be, but as long ad the rich and the corporations are making good money it won't change & it can't.

The only way it would work is through the political system.

Sadly I think too many people have seen how the events unfolded in Egypt & seem to think the same thing could (should?) happen in our societies. However while they were fighting for freedom and democracy, the western protests don't have that kind of radical change on the horizon to support them.