General politics discussion thread

David

[

He hasn't saved the taxpayers any money. He is a millionaire. He had no need to claim any money for living at his partners property. It shouldn't matter if he broke the rules to the benefit of

Who made the Telegraph the judge and jury on MPs expenses exactly? And why have they held back info on certain MPs for so long after the story broke? And weren't all MPs expenses being reviewed anyway? Is Laws' expense passed that review what makes the Telegraph think it understands the regulations better than the reviewers?

Frankly, the whole thing stinks. The owners of the Telegraph are pissed that they paid for a Tory government and didn't get one. I hope that if Laws is cleared by the parliamentary commission on expenses, that he sues the Telegraph for libel.

• Paid Members

David Laws is my MP and its been quite the turnaround from having our MP as a big figure in the coalition to public shaming in a very short space of time. Honestly, we've known he was gay for some time now, and it was always a matter of 'he doesnt need to say publicly, everyone knows and it doesnt make a difference' so theres definitely a case for saying its being used as an excuse for the expenses. That being said I voted for Laws as our MP and would like to see him stay in the job as he is the most qualified. He's going to get support and abuse in equal measures from our constituancy but hopefully he guts through it and doesnt make such a stupid mistake again.

If you claim money to which you are not entitled then it is not a defence to say that you didn't claim for other funds to which you are entitled.

The black and white fact is that he claimed

It was the first PMQ's of the new Government today. Did anyone catch it? Any thoughts?

I thought Cameron handled himself fairly well and they managed to keep away from the usual bumbling back and forth bullshit that seemed to become a mainstay during Brown's time as PM.

I love the fact that the Lib Dem MP's wont be asking any questions.

Well and truly whipped that lot.

I doubt it'll remain the case of Lib Dem's being totally banned from asking questions. As Tory MPs are still permitted to put questions forward so there's no reason why the Lib Dem MPs wouldn't be permitted to either.

Did anyone catch the Tony Benn interview on yesterdays Stephen Nolan Radio 5Live show? Benn was not on the ball as he usually is and seemed to become increasingly tired as the interview progressed. In particular he appeared almost confused as Nolan closed their conversation.

At eighty five anyone is entitled to have an off day I suppose but a work colleague who listened called it "upsetting". Once again this could be down to the contrast of how sharp Tony Benn normally is.

I'm not sure how to post links, for which I apologise, but I would be interested to know if anyone else listened to the show.

Thanks

Shuggy