The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

The Roses match they were just discussing on TMS sounds mental/brilliant. Note how Bresnan took 4/30 off 17 during Lancashire's 2nd innings as well. I've not a clue why they went with Broad over him.

On reflection, I'm absolutely gutted I'm missing out on that Roses match. My new house backs onto Headingley and I can watch play from my bedroom window which is always a nice thing. It's pretty cheap to get into there as well, so I've been making the most of living close to a cricket ground and catching plenty of cricket as and when I'm in Leeds.

I've been following it on Twitter with both Yorkshire and Lancashire's accounts and it's fascinating. Yorkshire looked doomed before Pryah came back and gave Yorkshire a Botham-like innings to give them half a chance of keeping in the game. Pryah's had a pretty good season for Yorkshire while the rest of the team haven't really been fantastic and that innings will just serve to keep him on top form. They've had a couple of good results towards the end of the T20 campaign, and the games in Scarborough have given them wins which can hopefully give them momentum to finish in a comfortable position at the end of the season.

Bresnan has done a brilliant job of keeping himself in the headlines, and if Broad even has a slight wobble, they need to get Bresnan in. At the moment, the guy's got figures of 4-30 from 17 overs.

Test cricket will always be where the real drama and tension is. Well done

Fantastic five days of cricket showing once again that you can have the bright lights and fast action of T20, but you can't beat Test cricket at its finest. Managed to watch most of today's play which is a rare treat for me, and I loved it. Stuart Broad has hopefully silenced his critics from the start of the match who were questioning why he was chosen over Bresnan with some of the finest bowling of his career. He was consistently good, and that's something that he's been lacking. He's got the confidence back, and after being very useful with the bat once again in the second innings, he's hopefully set himself up for a solid series.

What happens to Tendulkar at Lords? It looks as though he'll finish his Test career with only a best of 37 at the ground.

Zaheer Khan has been ruled out of the second Test match because of his injury from last week, and Chris Tremlett is now a doubt after he picked up an injury in the nets yesterday. If Tremlett is ruled out, then surely Bresnan steps in and takes his place for the game. He was on fire for Yorkshire when he came back during the Roses game last week (which was cruelly overlooked because of the hype of the Test match).

I got back into playing myself yesterday, only a session in the nets with a few friends who play in teams, so they're playing regularly. I didn't do too bad at all, first delivery of the day sent middle stump flying and then I took another couple of wickets in the time. So I'm off to join one of my friend's today with his team and see if I can hold my own there. I wouldn't expect miracles or a call up to the England squad, but hopefully I don't disgrace myself.

Well, we may well be back in this. Broad's hat trick today was a thing of beauty, even though Harbhajan Singh was bat first when dismissed LBW. Still, great momentum for the team with that, and it could have potentially saved the match for England. We need a fantastic morning session tomorrow to start building a lead, hopefully without losing any wickets. I didn't really see much coverage, so can anyone explain why Bell came in at 3 for Trott? I know Trott went over with a shoulder injury, but why did they make the decision to move Bell up instead of just letting Pietersen come in a bit earlier?

In an update to my previous post in here, I did end up playing in the match today. I was bowling pretty well at nets on Thursday and was asked if I could play, so I did. I was out second ball to a pretty decent spin bowler, and even when I played in school, I was never really that good at dealing with spin. It's something that I'm going to try and spend a lot more time working on in the nets, as well as getting more movement at the crease. We were all out for 123 but the opening bowlers were absolutely fantastic and took all 10 wickets within 15 overs to win the game by about 65 runs.

The whole Bellgate thing yesterday is another reason to love cricket. You can't imagine footballers ever getting together and deciding a goal was against the spirit of the game. That's why I love cricket, and generally feel only disdain for football.

I think overall that was the right outcome for the Bell run out, credit to MS Dhoni and India for allowing him back. They've compared it somewhat to that rumour we upheld against a NZ batsmen a few years back when he ran into Sidebottom. Collingwood upheld his appeal and it never felt like the right thing to do.

Regarding Bell coming in at 3 as opposed to Pietersen, Bell seems a much more natural 3 (he bats there for Warwickshire too) and KP isn't keen on batting at 3. Bell's game is much better suited than the flair of Pietersen. It's been another cracking game so far, can't see India getting anywhere near the 478 they need to win. Lots of time left though so you never know.

The whole Bellgate thing yesterday is another reason to love cricket. You can't imagine footballers ever getting together and deciding a goal was against the spirit of the game. That's why I love cricket, and generally feel only disdain for football.

It has happened - link

Also, although not the whole team, there was the DiCanio incident when he caught the ball as Everton's keeper (Paul Gerard?) was laying injured on the floor leaving an open goal.