The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

And he's gone for 333 - pathetic from The Coolest Man In Cricket.

I also think that Andy Flower has got it spot on with resting our four bowlers and sending them dowen to Brisbane early. The more I think about it, the more Im convincing myself that we're gonna beat them. 3-1 I say.

• Paid Members

Preparations couldn't have gone better, and now our back-up bowlers have all got wickets under their belts. Fantastic. The Aussies, meanwhile, have dumped Nathan Hauritz for some reason and picked left arm spinner Xavier Doherty presumably to target Kevin Pietersen. That sounds a bit desperate to me.

Maybe so, but with Pietersen's form not exactly being fantastic at the moment, his confidence won't be sky high. If they have the left arm spinner, something that KP is notoriously vulnerable against, the Aussies are probably working on the idea of being able to knock his confidence a bit further and maybe pick his wicket up fairly cheaply. Obviously, what I think we all want to see is KP playing against the left arm spin brilliantly and not making silly mistakes to end up walking back into the pavilion for a reasonably low score.

I think Chris Tremlett has really put himself into contention as well. I wouldn't think he'll be playing this week, but if one of the pace bowlers struggles a bit, I can definitely see him coming in and having a game. Some cracking bowling today, I thought he was very consistent and got some very good wickets.

I'm really looking forward to the Ashes starting on Wednesday night. I'm not in uni on Thursday, so I might either try and see if the Aussie bar in town will be showing the cricket, or I'll rely on TMS and maybe finding a stream. I caught the last two days of England/Australia A on a Channel 9 stream, and the Australian TV is epic. They've got some brilliant adverts...ended up on Twitter with some friends and just posting all sorts about the adverts.

• Paid Members
Maybe so, but with Pietersen's form not exactly being fantastic at the moment, his confidence won't be sky high. If they have the left arm spinner, something that KP is notoriously vulnerable against, the Aussies are probably working on the idea of being able to knock his confidence a bit further and maybe pick his wicket up fairly cheaply. Obviously, what I think we all want to see is KP playing against the left arm spin brilliantly and not making silly mistakes to end up walking back into the pavilion for a reasonably low score.

It stands to reason though that if Pietersen's confidence and form right now are not the greatest, why are the Aussies seemingly targeting him with a type of bowler that has never really threatened England as a whole? It's a selection planning for one batsman, yet off-spinners would seem to be a better bet against an England team that has a few left-handers and one of them, Strauss, is our best batsman at the moment.

It stands to reason though that if Pietersen's confidence and form right now are not the greatest, why are the Aussies seemingly targeting him with a type of bowler that has never really threatened England as a whole? It's a selection planning for one batsman, yet off-spinners would seem to be a better bet against an England team that has a few left-handers and one of them, Strauss, is our best batsman at the moment.

Completely agree. Seems a strange selection. Even stranger some of the Aussie commentators are pushing Smith for the spinner slot when he's just not ready. It would be like us throwing Rashid in about 3 years ago.

• Paid Members

Exactly. For me, Rashid HAS to be blooded in the summer - if they leave it much longer then he could develop bad county cricket habits, but that's a different subject.

There was a good article on Cricinfo that likened the Doherty selection to deal with Pietersen to the Bodyline tactic that was developed to deal with one batsman, Don Bradman. That was perhaps understandable - he is the greatest batsman of all time, after all. But Pietersen isn't. Aside from arguably Cook, no other batsman is in less form that Pietersen, and they should be worried about how they're going to deal with those.

Still, it's their problem, all the better for us!

Edited by Gladstone Small

The thing that strikes me with leggies at the minute is that they seem afraid to really spin the ball. A lot of them have been introduced in T20 or one day stuff, which means 2 shit overs and they don't bowl again. Kids like Will Beer and Max Waller would rather bowl tight negative stuff, than really try and rip it - for fear of getting whacked all over. T20 is no place for a leg spinner to learn. There's only really Rashid that spins it - he's the best of the bunch by a mile.

Sussex specifically sent Beer back to the 2nds this year with instructions to become more of an agressive bowler so they are at least trying. However it's a very difficult art - I played with a guy in Sussex (junior club level not like Max!) who got one senior game for the county at 20 and then got the yips completely. Chris Nash has always struck me a lovely bloke as are most of the Sussex squad. At the moment it's as nice a place to play cricket as it is to watch cricket. Incidently Nash/Wright/Yardy are all down in New Zealand playing in their Twenty20 competition on different teams. Imagine there will be a bit of banter if they bowl to each other.

• Paid Members
Anyone know if it will be possible to get a stream up anywhere? Never really considered doing it for any sport other than the footy and maybe a few fights.

http://myp2p.eu

Actually, I'm really pissed off by Sky's coverage this time round. They're showing highlights packages during the day of only one hour each and then showing two hours at 8pm. Fucking shite, I can't avoid the score for that long. So if anyone has any idea where I can see more comprehensive highlights packages during the day, or even delayed coverage, then PLEASE let me know because I'm desperate.