New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Why would anyone be thinking of dropping it though? It's only a few years into a very sucessful run and unless I'm mistaken it went nearly 30 years before it took it's first proper break. It's a concept that can just go on and on IMO.

I'm just saying, not that i'm aware that they are, but give it another 3 or 4 years (according to the reports anyway) and lead into a huge movie to end it for a bit. Again not that i've heard anything, or that i'd want them to, but if your going to go out......why not in a big action filled movie whilst the series is super popular?

Either way, it'd be interesting.

Just thought, how about having it at the changeover between Doctors? That way, it is a whole new story, yet also keeps in continuity

Yeah, why not, it'd be cool if they go forward with "X ammount" of regenerations thing (is it 12 or 13 altoghether) and a movie based on him trying to obtain further regenerations, thus leading into a new doctor, would be fantastic IMPO.

Does the doctor not have all of Rivers regenerations now

Why would anyone be thinking of dropping it though? It's only a few years into a very sucessful run and unless I'm mistaken it went nearly 30 years before it took it's first proper break. It's a concept that can just go on and on IMO.

That point gets passed around quite a lot sadly. I don't see why. I mean the difference between Doctor Who then and Doctor Who now are easy to see. As are the differences between television. Its not the same deal. There's no way it'll be on that long before a break this time. The break won't be as long though. At least I wouldn't have thought so. But eventually people will start complaining about hwo the BBC should be investing its money in something new rather than the same old drama it's been churning out for ages. And they'll be faced with the dilema of making Doctor Who considerably cheaper or getting rid of it for a bit. If they have any sense they'll do the latter. The very successful run makes little difference to this ultimately. The BBC doesn't run for ratings. At the moment doctor Who's beneficial because its family television that critics and viewers like. But both critics and viewers will get fickle about it and complain it's run too long a lot longer before any such complaints were voiced before. And the movie's going to take quite a few years to get out of development.

Just thought, how about having it at the changeover between Doctors? That way, it is a whole new story, yet also keeps in continuity

I think there's meant to be a big issue with this idea. That would be a big narrative event and so there's some difficulty over whether or not the BBC could charge people to see it.

• Paid Members

I'm just saying, not that i'm aware that they are, but give it another 3 or 4 years (according to the reports anyway) and lead into a huge movie to end it for a bit. Again not that i've heard anything, or that i'd want them to, but if your going to go out......why not in a big action filled movie whilst the series is super popular?

Either way, it'd be interesting.

Yeah, why not, it'd be cool if they go forward with "X ammount" of regenerations thing (is it 12 or 13 altoghether) and a movie based on him trying to obtain further regenerations, thus leading into a new doctor, would be fantastic IMPO.

If they're going to do a film, a lot of people who haven't seen it before will go to see it at the cinema. With that being said it's important not to bog new viewers down with complicated Gallifreyan/regeneration mumbo jumbo because they will completely switch off after five minutes. (See Doctor Who Movie 1996). The best way to bring it to the big screen would be to completely re-introduce everything we already know again, just like they did when the series started again in 2005.

• Paid Members

Y'know what they should do? Have David Tennant star in a film with basically no plot where he just runs from Daleks, gurns, and jabbers at nameless assistants for 90 minutes. Faux-nerd fangirls go mental for it, film makes millions that can be injected back into the TV show. Flawless plan.

• Paid Members

If they are going the route of having it fully detatched from the TV series, why not fast forward and have the film be about the adventures of the 28th doctor or something?

Make up something about having unlimited regenerations as there are no timelords to enforce the rules and away we go.

Y'know what they should do? Have David Tennant star in a film with basically no plot where he just runs from Daleks, gurns, and jabbers at nameless assistants for 90 minutes. Faux-nerd fangirls go mental for it, film makes millions that can be injected back into the TV show. Flawless plan.

Heh, I'm not so sure the money would go back into the series anyway.

• Paid Members

Heh, I'm not so sure the money would go back into the series anyway.

Fair point, but they should do what I said anyway to kill off all potential curiosity I have in the film and eliminate the risk of me spending

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Major Season 7 spoiler (good chance (inevitable really) you will come across it tomorrow)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Amy and Rory Pond/Williams will leave Doctor Who in series seven, showrunner Steven Moffat has just revealed at the preview screening of the