New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Sorry to go slightly off current topic but I just started watching season 6 (Matt smiths second season) and 4 episodes in and I can't work out whats going on, every episode has confused the hell out of me, maybe it's me (I am getting old) but did anybody else have trouble following these episodes? I don't know how kids who would have turned in during Russell's reign would be able to follow this.

• Paid Members

I've only heard adults complain about it. Kids seemed to follow it fine, and I loved the fact that there was so much set up for later. There are answers (and more questions, but they're good ones) coming up. Stick with it, it's very rewarding.

I've only heard adults complain about it. Kids seemed to follow it fine, and I loved the fact that there was so much set up for later. There are answers (and more questions, but they're good ones) coming up. Stick with it, it's very rewarding.

I'm not sure it's a case of kids following it fine. I think it's more a case of Moffat doesn't tie everything up (we won't get into a debate about whether he intends to or if they're just plot holes that'll never be explained) and adults notice it and it bugs them. Young kids probably don't care, I wouldn't have done when I was young, I'd have just gone "ooh, a cool monster" and went along with things. I don't really think people mean the show's complicated either. People talk about now knowing why certain things have happened, and that's because not all of it's explained. It's just Moffat packages his product in his gimmick and that makes people think it's complicated.

It amuses me because I'm sure I read a Moffat interview while he was writing for the RTD years and he said something along the lines of "I leave the scripts quite late and the timey wimey stuff's easy to write".

• Paid Members

There have been niggling things that seemed like they were just thrown in for the sake of snappy dialogue, but I think he's tied up all the important stuff. Of course, it could be that I'm being more forgiving of him because I've enjoyed the show a lot more since he took over (although I maintain RTD's arbitrary nonsense bits were much worse than Moffat's). His episodes were always my favourites of previous series and I love the direction he's taken it in. Some people were the same with RTD and Tennant. That's what's great about the show, though - it changes, and everybody who likes it gets a run that they really love :thumbsup:

Sorry to go slightly off current topic but I just started watching season 6 (Matt smiths second season) and 4 episodes in and I can't work out whats going on, every episode has confused the hell out of me, maybe it's me (I am getting old) but did anybody else have trouble following these episodes? I don't know how kids who would have turned in during Russell's reign would be able to follow this.

If the answers were given in the same episode where the questions were asked why would you tune in the following week?

Edited by GPW Kristian Zane

Slight spoiler (its not really spoiling much but some people gett prissy)

My spoiler tags are going nuts so I'll leave a bit of space

So according to the Guardian preview, all are standalone and all take place within quite a while of each other. Seems The Doctor really did leave Amy and Rory at the end of 'The God Complex', so he must seemingly need them at different points. Its stuff like this that makes Moff's stuff far more interesting than RTDs. He just loves mucking about with the show.

• Paid Members
Slight spoiler (its not really spoiling much but some people gett prissy)

My spoiler tags are going nuts so I'll leave a bit of space

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

So according to the Guardian preview, all are standalone and all take place within quite a while of each other. Seems The Doctor really did leave Amy and Rory at the end of 'The God Complex', so he must seemingly need them at different points. Its stuff like this that makes Moff's stuff far more interesting than RTDs. He just loves mucking about with the show.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

This sounds great! I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive about the switch from

a big over-riding story arc

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

but this sounds like it's going to be genuinely interesting and exciting. And you're right, that's what, for me, makes

Moffat's era so much fun - there's so much more reason for everything that happens. It's not perfect, but it's so much more to my tastes, and so much more interesting than random adventures leading up to the Daleks being resurrected with a tenuous explanation at the start of the finale and destroyed forever with absolutely no way of coming back at the end.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

EDIT: That Monopoly board is fucking beautiful. Typical Who fan, I found at least 3 things to complain about from one glance, but I'll silence the cynic for now and just say that the Gallifreyan script background on the Chance spaces is gorgeous. When I own a house I'm gonna cover it in wallpaper like that. Inside and out.

Edited by opcws

If the answers were given in the same episode where the questions were asked why would you tune in the following week?

It's not the season long questions which puzzle me but the general single episode stuff. now I confess I have not been watching these episodes as closely as I perhaps should but I will start from now as clearly this is a different kind of Doctor Who to the Russell T Davis era.

I'm talking about the Curse of the Black Spot and the Doctors wife episodes, they both had a bunch of things I didn't understand, I can go into details but I imagine it's been a while since most people watched them.