New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15730665

Doctor Who 'to be made into film'

Dr Who is to be taken to the big screen by Harry Potter director David Yates.

Yates, who directed the last four Potter films, told Variety that he is about to start work on developing a "Doctor Who" film with the BBC.

He told the showbiz magazine that the film would take a fresh approach to the cult sci-fi show.

"We're going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena," he said.

"Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," he said.

Yates is reported to be working with the head of LA-based BBC Worldwide Productions, Jane Tranter.

A BBC spokesman said: "A Doctor Who feature film remains in development with BBC Worldwide Productions in Los Angeles. T

"The project is unlikely to reach cinemas for several years and as yet there is no script, cast or production crew in place."

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. David Tennant took over in the same year.

The sixth series of Doctor Who, starring Matt Smith as the Doctor, broadcast on BBC earlier this year.

I surely can't be the only one who thinks if you're gonna make a big screen version of a show that is currently massively successful you should do so as an accompaniment to the series (as X-Files did) not do something that's not only totally seperate but also "radically transforms" something that is actually very good as it is! That doesn't mean they have to do it in a way that puts off people who don't follow the show, but surely your core audience is going to be people who watch it now?

• Paid Members
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15730665

Doctor Who 'to be made into film'

Dr Who is to be taken to the big screen by Harry Potter director David Yates.

Yates, who directed the last four Potter films, told Variety that he is about to start work on developing a "Doctor Who" film with the BBC.

He told the showbiz magazine that the film would take a fresh approach to the cult sci-fi show.

"We're going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena," he said.

"Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," he said.

Yates is reported to be working with the head of LA-based BBC Worldwide Productions, Jane Tranter.

A BBC spokesman said: "A Doctor Who feature film remains in development with BBC Worldwide Productions in Los Angeles. T

"The project is unlikely to reach cinemas for several years and as yet there is no script, cast or production crew in place."

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. David Tennant took over in the same year.

The sixth series of Doctor Who, starring Matt Smith as the Doctor, broadcast on BBC earlier this year.

I surely can't be the only one who thinks if you're gonna make a big screen version of a show that is currently massively successful you should do so as an accompaniment to the series (as X-Files did) not do something that's not only totally seperate but also "radically transforms" something that is actually very good as it is! That doesn't mean they have to do it in a way that puts off people who don't follow the show, but surely your core audience is going to be people who watch it now?

Maybe a bit of a back story to the doctors life? Would be interesting to say the least though.

• Paid Members

Hell no, the back story to the Doctor's life is the enigma that the entire show is based around!

I'm not sure if I like this at all, I hope this isn't true. Why fiddle with something that's fine the way it is?

• Paid Members
Hell no, the back story to the Doctor's life is the enigma that the entire show is based around!

I'm not sure if I like this at all, I hope this isn't true. Why fiddle with something that's fine the way it is?

That is also very true, although i would love to what kicked it all off.

From what i can put together, is it something along the lines of he's a very low ranking Time lord and just flat out stole a TARDIS? Or was there more to it than that?

Got to agree with everyone here, there's no need for a reboot on the big screen, especially as it's highly likely there's still going to be a TV show.

I think a big screen adventure for whichever current Doctor is on screen at that moment would be better. Hey, if it gets them happier about paying big screen money, bring in someone like Johnny Depp as the villain.

They could even have the series end with a hint to the film. Put the series on earlier in the year, and then release the film in the summer, or have the series at the regular time and release the film late summer early autumn

• Paid Members

With David Yates directing its a possibility that Alan Rickman will be The Master if he's in it. As long as they don't cast Jude Law as the Doctor, however I have an overbearing sense of dread that one Russell Brand will be cast as the Doctor.

With David Yates directing its a possibility that Alan Rickman will be The Master if he's in it. As long as they don't cast Jude Law as the Doctor, however I have an overbearing sense of dread that one Russell Brand will be cast as the Doctor.

• Paid Members
Got to agree with everyone here, there's no need for a reboot on the big screen, especially as it's highly likely there's still going to be a TV show.

I think a big screen adventure for whichever current Doctor is on screen at that moment would be better. Hey, if it gets them happier about paying big screen money, bring in someone like Johnny Depp as the villain.

They could even have the series end with a hint to the film. Put the series on earlier in the year, and then release the film in the summer, or have the series at the regular time and release the film late summer early autumn

Im fairly certain theres some kind of rule that bans the BBC from having a film of a show as they cant have something that means people have to watch the BBC to fully understand it. I could be wrong, but Im sure I'd read that before.