The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Totally lost interest with all Marvel and DC at the moment have no idea what's going on with Batman so don't even bother with all this is he dead stuff, So I have started buying allot of the Judger Dredd case file book's, Just picked up Pride of Baghdad again and still think its a really good short read.

My local Smiths has a big display of Marvel graphic novels up, with my voucher things I got Civil War and Secret War. I thought the Civil War was quite clever in idea, and the execution was pretty good too. But I read Secret War and thought it was a very good book. I liked the idea as I never considered it before but it made sense. The whole book had a nice pace for me, I liked it.

My biggest problem with Dark Knight Strikes Back is the blatant false advertising. It's at best a JLA story, at worse a Superman story. What is Frank Miller's obsession with Wonder Woman and Superman? It's pretty freaky.

Dark Knight Returns was a great tale of a superhero struggling with age and depression to try and regain his old identity for one more time. Strikes Back is about some revolution or something which wasn't even hinted at in Dark Knight Returns. I don't hate Strikes Back, but some things in it just made it confusing and almost rushed.

Dark Knight Returns is terrific, I can't talk about it enough. The slow transition Bruce Wayne goes through to become Batman again was very well done and the scene with the re-emergence of the Joker is great.

Year One I think is very well written and drawn. The two stories going on from Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon's changing life to keep Gotham in order is really a good device. Seeing the two men have similar principles but operate on the two levels of law and vilgantism.

Well that's my opinion.

Agreed on the awesomeness of Preacher. The gradual reveal of Cassidy's backstory is a thing of absolute beauty.

I followed it in the original issues, and the last issue came out a month late. After THAT cliffhanger. The fuckers.

Agreed. I read the story arc set during the Uprising (before Cass was "made"), and I had to stop and think to myself "Oh yeah, he was a human once, wasn't he?" :laugh:

• Paid Members
Agreed on the awesomeness of Preacher. The gradual reveal of Cassidy's backstory is a thing of absolute beauty.

I followed it in the original issues, and the last issue came out a month late. After THAT cliffhanger. The fuckers.

Agreed. I read the story arc set during the Uprising (before Cass was "made"), and I had to stop and think to myself "Oh yeah, he was a human once, wasn't he?" :laugh:

It's even funnier if you studied that period of Irish history. His brother kicking Michael Collins in the balls is hysterical.

It's even funnier if you studied that period of Irish history. His brother kicking Michael Collins in the balls is hysterical.

Its even funnier if you consider loads of people deserted when the shelling started!

• 1 month later...

I quite liked his work on Spiderman, I think that's when he introduced the mystical side to Spiderman and Ezekiel. Sadly, not read anything much since.

While the threads up, had a massive splurge on graphic novels over christmas:

Batman and Robin: Reborn: pretty cool story, the whole Pyg stuff was a cool introduction to another mad villian and the tension played between Damien and Dick was very good.

Blackest Night Green Lantern: love the story but chunks of it not really explained in the book (obviously in another Blackest Night) but pretty cool story nonetheless.

Hitman: Local Heroes: Excellent, Hitman was a solid book and Tommy Monaghan was a great character. The book progressed the character very well.

Deadpool: What Happens in Vegas: More Deadpool, story seems to have some legs but goes too quickly and poorly written imo, Deadpool is very watered down right now.

Zero Hour: I very much liked this book. A little confusing at first but once you got into the rhyme it was a very decent story. Hal Jordan's villian was very good too and the ending I enjoyed too.

• Paid Members

Planet Hulk is being shown on Sky premiere at the moment. Only caught the last half hour. Seems to follow the comic series quite closely. Not overly keen on the art style used. Seems a little too much of a Manga influence in the art. Much preferred the look of Ultimate Avengers. Who does the animation and artwork for these Marvel animated films?

Quite enjoying Avengers:Earths Mightiest Heroes on Disney XD too. Hulk needs to be louder though.

• Paid Members

Planet Hulk was okay,but dragged a bit at times. Hulk vs Wolverine was fantastic...my favourite Marvel animated feature.

On another note, I was very apprehensive and nervous about them, but the Deadpool Max and Pulp series' are actually really enjoyable. Very impressed, truth be known. I can't take to Daniel Way's characterisation at all, but these two lines were a nice change...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Anyone here into alternative comics? Stuff like Joe Sacco, Peter Bagge, Chester Brown, Bob Fingerman, Joe Matt, R. Crumb, Dan Clowes and so on?

Joe Sacco

PALESTINE-151.jpg

Peter Bagge

B4D2F970-EDB5-4392-945152B8EBBD004C.jpg

Dan Clowes

clowes-eightball1.jpg

Bob Fingerman

CC581FE8-4971-4FED-9019F830EF8104A5.jpg

I don't like superhero comics, liked them as a child but grew out of the superheroes but not out of reading comics. Check out any of the above, they are all geniuses.