The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

V For Vendetta is a great read. One of the things I truly enjoy is:

The female characters. You've got Mrs Heyer whose a manipulative bitch with the sole goal to use as much men as possible to become powerful. Valerie who is a true depiction of hope and promise despite the horrendous situations shes in. Evee's a good lead character and Mrs Almond, who loses everything and is forced from luxury to the lowest kind of life is well written and engaging.

Part of the reason the story's so good is like in Watchmen, it's the subsidary tales which add strength to the overall story. While you're reading a story about Evee and her relationship with a charismatic vigilante its the stories of the side characters and stories they tell. It's a great read. I should also mention the monologues with the Leader are beautiful.

Anyway, Still enjoying the Boys and I recently picked up Under The Hood and the Battle of the Cowl (Both Batman). Under The Hood is pretty good. I kinda knew the story from friends talking about it but I never realised how well written it was. The stuff with the Black Mask was enjoyable and the asking other characters there experiences with death was good. I enjoyed it. Battle for the Cowl was pretty good too. I know I should pick up the Batman and Robin stuff for more insight but this was a decent start. The story was logical and very good. Enjoyed both.

Just briefly, anyone else read CLiNT? Mark Millar has started a Megazine like comic written by celebrities like Frakie Boyle, Jonathon Ross and weirdly Huw Edwards.

CLiNT was...very Mark Millar. All the original stuff was shite, all the reprints not my sort of thing, and the articles were sub-Cracked forum rubbish. So I'm going to leave it be. If you haven't read the stuff that got reprinted and it's the sort of thing you like then go for it. Everything else is pretty crap. And who designed that fucking cover? Looks like a fan mag.

I'm increasingly in the minority, it seems...but I thought Under The Hood was an awful premise done badly and Battle for The Cowl took way too long to tell a really obvious story in an incredibly bland way. Batman And Robin (as well as Return Of Bruce Wayne) has been light years ahead of either, even if the art does seriously fall off a cliff after Frank Quitely leaves the book.

• Paid Members
Is the Boys still the most obvious and charmless thing in the world? I haven't been reading it since the "OMFG you wont believe this dudes seriously Prof X is a peado" storyline.

It's improved, but not hugely. It's more about the overall plot now rather than the shock moments, however they are still around.

Unwritten has to be the most underrated book coming out at the moment. Hardly anyone seems to be reading it or talking about it and it's simply fantastic. Hugely clever and ambitious. Carey is a fucking jammy bugger, he's never written anything that wasn't at least "very good".

Absolutely agree. 'The Unwritten' is, for my money, the best comic Vertigo have done since 'Fables', and possibly since 'Transmetropolitan'.

Chris B, the link to your show appears dead.
Looks like the site's gone down. Shouldn't be for long - the guy in charge is pretty good at keeping on top of it.

Not wishing to come across as having a go, but why are you reviewing series that came out between fifteen and twenty five years ago? If it's supposed to be a look at classic series...then it's an odd couple of choices...

It is a look at classic series, although we'll likely end up discussing current stuff at points as well. I wouldn't have thought 'V for Vendetta' was a particularly odd choice. On my previous podcast (the Eclectic Podcast, on the same site, which will be continuing until the end of the year, albeit without me in a couple of episodes), we produced three specials looking at the career of Alan Moore, so I'm wary of going back over 'Watchmen' for a while.

The idea is to pick a different series, trade paperback or character to discuss each episode.

Ric (my co-host) and I both got into comics around the same time, and 'Age of Apocalypse' is a specific and sentimental favourite for both of us. As a result, we thought it'd be a fun one to start with. We also both think it's rather underrated.

• Paid Members
Is Lucifer any good? I remember trying to get into it just after I read Sandman, but the first story arc or two didn't grab me.

It's fucking ace. Reading Sandman beforehand adds a bit, but it's not necessary. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run fleshes it out even further, though not massively.

Surprised you didn't like Sandman - I devoured it from start to finish.

Is Lucifer any good? I remember trying to get into it just after I read Sandman, but the first story arc or two didn't grab me.

It's fucking ace. Reading Sandman beforehand adds a bit, but it's not necessary. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run fleshes it out even further, though not massively.

No, I loved Sandman, read the whole run a few times. Cracking stuff. But I went on to Lucifer from there and didn't get into that.

• Paid Members

No, I loved Sandman, read the whole run a few times. Cracking stuff. But I went on to Lucifer from there and didn't get into that.

Ah, right. I'd suggest getting the first two trade paperbacks and give them a chance to hold your interest. It's one, big, integrated arc, so you need a little patience with some of the more boring elements, because it all builds to some great climaxes. It's a very creative story - literally...

• Paid Members

Lucifer is good, but it's actually a very different take to Neil Gaiman's, although it does use that as a place to spring from. I liked it, although it wasn't what I expected. I preferred Sandman, but Lucifer does have its moments.

I think Lucifer goes in a lot more interesting directions than Sandman and (although I now know Chris will bizarrely not care about this) the art is consistently great all the way through, whereas Sandman's is, at times, infuriatingly inconsistent for something so well loved. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sandman, I just think it's probably one of the more overrated series of all time, whilst still being very good.

Chris! I have listened to your podcast. All in all, I enjoyed it. It's a good start. Some points of constructive criticism though -

I know you said you wanted to make it easy for anyone to listen to, but I think too much of the conversation got derailed by explaining things. I don't think anyone listening to a comics podcast needs to have who the X-Men are explained to them.

In fact, I'd say that more time actually discussing the content rather than describing it would be good. The more interesting parts of the show were when their was actual debate and discussion about what worked, what stuff meant in a wider context, and so on.

My interest in the show in general was a little hamstrung by me not being much of a fan of 90s X-Men comics at all, so hopefully you'll be going in all kinds of directions with it. Seriosuly though; don't talk about Onslaught for 90 minutes. No-one really cared about it then, let alone now.

• Paid Members
I think Lucifer goes in a lot more interesting directions than Sandman and (although I now know Chris will bizarrely not care about this) the art is consistently great all the way through, whereas Sandman's is, at times, infuriatingly inconsistent for something so well loved. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sandman, I just think it's probably one of the more overrated series of all time, whilst still being very good.

Heh. I actually prefer the art in Sandman, partially because I think it always tends to suit the story. While I love Peter Gross' artwork (and think it's one of the selling points of 'The Unwritten'), consistent art tends to fade into the background to me. Bad art tends to stand out though.

Chris! I have listened to your podcast. All in all, I enjoyed it. It's a good start. Some points of constructive criticism though -

Awesome, thank you.

I know you said you wanted to make it easy for anyone to listen to, but I think too much of the conversation got derailed by explaining things. I don't think anyone listening to a comics podcast needs to have who the X-Men are explained to them.

It's a difficult balance to get. Some of the feedback we've gotten is thanking us for making it easy to understand for non-Marvel fans. We will try to get better at it though.

In fact, I'd say that more time actually discussing the content rather than describing it would be good. The more interesting parts of the show were when their was actual debate and discussion about what worked, what stuff meant in a wider context, and so on.

This will probably be easier in later ones. 'Age of Apocalypse' is slightly odd in that it's an alternate reality take on a series, and we did need to provide at least some explanation of the series itself.

My interest in the show in general was a little hamstrung by me not being much of a fan of 90s X-Men comics at all, so hopefully you'll be going in all kinds of directions with it. Seriosuly though; don't talk about Onslaught for 90 minutes. No-one really cared about it then, let alone now.

You're entirely wrong. Onslaught was fantastic, and I'll defend it to the hilt. It dropped off a cliff once it became an enormous cross-over, but the build up and pay-off to the revelation of Onslaught was terrific. I suspect we will do it, but not for a while.

The next two are 'V for Vendetta' and Warren Ellis' 'Fell' - the latter of which, for my money, is the single most underrated comic around.