The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

There's a new comic shop opened near me so I've been popping in and buying the odd thing. The most interesting thing is "100 Bullets", which I'm really enjoying watch unfold before me. I like catching up on things years later. I also picked up the first of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing collections, as I'll be launching into Constantine at some point. So, it's all good.

I keep meaning to pick up 100 Bullets, I really like Brian Azzarello's stuff.

Quick question for the comic people!

Any news on The Flash? i used to collect this years ago, i think the last time i saw it something crazy happened and he forgot he was the flash....basically a re-start. Then i think they completely re-did the whole thing. although my local shop doesnt sell the flash any more, so is it still going, another re-launch?

If anybody could help, that would be awesome!

Cheers!

• Paid Members
They did a Flash rebirth with Barry Allen taking over as the main Flash

Oh they fucking haven't, have they? For crying out loud, why did they go and do that? One of the best things about them killing off Barry Allen was that he stayed dead, no matter how much the fanboys complained, and it gave the whole thing a sort of creative dignity. Superman gets resurrected, Green Lantern gets resurrected (thanks to dickhead fanboys who can't move on), Green Arrow gets resurrected, but not Barry Allen.

They were doing a pretty good job with Wally West, and Jay Garrick in the JSA, for that matter; they didn't need to bring Allen back.

I know what you mean, they kill off people far too much in comics these days. I'm still trying to get my head around the 18 Supermen who have sprung up overnight because of the 17th Crisis. I like the Lantern and Arrow storylines, mainly cause someone put loads of work into it (Geoff Johns and Kevin Smith) plus there was no one who could really replace them (though i like Kyle Rayner). Flash was perfectly fine with Wally West, but the result is a clusterfuck of Flashes. Geoff Johns cocked this one up imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to reading Warren Ellis on Stormwatch. Not so bothered about the stuff that came before him (read one or two, never grabbed me) but Ellis has done some awesome things with it so far (up to the end of vol.1). I like the fact it bothers to analyse the role of superheroes in the "real" world without going down the Garth Ennis route of all superheroes being mega-evil. Thumbs up, and the slightly naff 90s art is worth getting past.

Also, again at last, reading 100 Bullets. Damn is that good.

After reading tpb's almost exlusively for quite a while, I've actually set up a comic subscription again. I've added the classic Batman and Amazing Spider-Man titles, but obviously I have no clue about the current arcs so if anyone can briefly fill me in on those 2 that'd be great, I'm pretty lost. Also been reading the Modern Warfare 2: Ghost comics which recounts the story of Ghost from the video game. Pretty cool stuff if you're a fan of the game. Any other recommendations to add to my monthly sub?

Also currently re-reading Transmet, what a beautiful asshole Spider is.

Edited by Harvey Dent

• Paid Members
After reading tpb's almost exlusively for quite a while, I've actually set up a comic subscription again. I've added the classic Batman and Amazing Spider-Man titles, but obviously I have no clue about the current arcs so if anyone can briefly fill me in on those 2 that'd be great, I'm pretty lost. Also been reading the Modern Warfare 2: Ghost comics which recounts the story of Ghost from the video game. Pretty cool stuff if you're a fan of the game. Any other recommendations to add to my monthly sub?

How familiar are you with the past couple of years of ASM? If you've barely read any then there was a big retcon a while back called Brand New Day (so anything before that you don't need to worry too much about), you can find most of the details here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_New_Day_(comics). This year's a good year to get back into ASM as there's a big story arc going on called The Gauntlet, where it's basically one classic spidey villain (with a few upgrades) after another. It's a welcome return to the classic structure of superhero storytelling in contrast to the endless 'epic' crossovers going on in the rest of the Marvel Universe.

• Paid Members
I like the Lantern and Arrow storylines, mainly cause someone put loads of work into it (Geoff Johns and Kevin Smith) plus there was no one who could really replace them (though i like Kyle Rayner).

Nah, there were plenty who could've replaced Jordan, who was beyond stale at that point. Kyle Rayner was awesome, and John Stewart's been pretty damn good in the past.

How familiar are you with the past couple of years of ASM? If you've barely read any then there was a big retcon a while back called Brand New Day (so anything before that you don't need to worry too much about), you can find most of the details here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_New_Day_(comics). This year's a good year to get back into ASM as there's a big story arc going on called The Gauntlet, where it's basically one classic spidey villain (with a few upgrades) after another. It's a welcome return to the classic structure of superhero storytelling in contrast to the endless 'epic' crossovers going on in the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Thanks for that, got a bit of a grip of goings on. I've only really read bits and bobs and was up to date on the goings on in Civil War. Seems most of that has all been forgotten, damn Marvel and thier zero continuity.

If any Batman readers can update me in a similar manner I'd be greatful. I'm aware Bruce Wayne isn't around and Dick Grayson has taken the Batman guise, despite Bruce asking him not to. What exactly happened to Bruce?

One of the best things about them killing off Barry Allen was that he stayed dead, no matter how much the fanboys complained

What? No-one ever, ever complained about Barry being dead. His death had heroism and meaning, a character they already liked took his place, and the Mark Waid and Geoff Johnns runs on The Flash when Wally was in the costume were some of the very best superhero books ever. "Fanboys", apparently to blame for everything in every medium, never called for Barry to come back. There was no equivilant of HEAT for Barry Allen. He was bought back because Dan DiDo wants comics to be just like they were when he was a kid, and Geoff Johnns wants comics to be just like they were when he was a kid except incredibly violent and unpleasant. And they, sadly, have all the say, even when they're doing things the fans simply don't care for.

• Paid Members
One of the best things about them killing off Barry Allen was that he stayed dead, no matter how much the fanboys complained

What? No-one ever, ever complained about Barry being dead. His death had heroism and meaning, a character they already liked took his place, and the Mark Waid and Geoff Johnns runs on The Flash when Wally was in the costume were some of the very best superhero books ever. "Fanboys", apparently to blame for everything in every medium, never called for Barry to come back. There was no equivilant of HEAT for Barry Allen. He was bought back because Dan DiDo wants comics to be just like they were when he was a kid, and Geoff Johnns wants comics to be just like they were when he was a kid except incredibly violent and unpleasant. And they, sadly, have all the say, even when they're doing things the fans simply don't care for.

I was mainly going off my experience on a couple of livejournal communities and Facebook groups. There weren't really that many, and they tended to get shouted down. Was exaggerating a tad.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that, got a bit of a grip of goings on. I've only really read bits and bobs and was up to date on the goings on in Civil War. Seems most of that has all been forgotten, damn Marvel and thier zero continuity.

If any Batman readers can update me in a similar manner I'd be greatful. I'm aware Bruce Wayne isn't around and Dick Grayson has taken the Batman guise, despite Bruce asking him not to. What exactly happened to Bruce?

Bruce got killed at the end of 'Final Crisis'.

Sort of.

He got hit by the 'Omega Sanction', which is basically 'living death'. He was transported back to caveman times, and appears to be fighting his way back to the present time, but for all intents and purposes in the Batman universe, he's dead.

Dick Grayson is the new Batman, and Bruce's illegitimate son, Damian, is the new Robin.