The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

I was reading the Boys until it finished. Might pick up some of the Shadow stuff though.

On a different note, just picked up Avengers vs. X-Men. Good golly I enjoyed this book. I've read some X-Men stuff and thought Cyclops was becoming quite the prick throughout so it was great to see it all come to a head. I thought it was really well written and you felt for both sides and, I don't really think I can say more without giving something away, but I thought it was great

I was reading the Boys until it finished. Might pick up some of the Shadow stuff though.

On a different note, just picked up Avengers vs. X-Men. Good golly I enjoyed this book. I've read some X-Men stuff and thought Cyclops was becoming quite the prick throughout so it was great to see it all come to a head. I thought it was really well written and you felt for both sides and, I don't really think I can say more without giving something away, but I thought it was great

I'm hoping to start reading some X-Men soon, and have earmarked AvsX as a Christmas present to myself in April

Anyone reading anything else other than the DC/Marvel stuff recently? I've been picking up Grant Morrison's Happy! which is good, along with the wrestling related, digital-only Swerve, Bedlam (which I've yet to read yet, despite owning issues 1 and 2 or 4)

Happy! is awesome, shame its only a 4 issue series. Love Darick Robertson's art in it too, he's great. First issue of Bedlam was cool, though the second was a bit flat story wise. Didn't really kick on from the first. But the art is brilliant in that too, superb use of red. There's only been the 2 so far so its definitely one to keep an eye on.

I was reading The Boys in the trades and just finished the last one, thought it finished really strong. I always loved Hughie and how the ridiculousness of the series was grounded in his innocence. I can see peoples qualms with it, its so OTT, but thats all fine with me. It struggled to be consistently great to a match the level Garth Ennis has previously reached, but I still really enjoyed it. AvX for me, and a lot of others, was a little flat. Too much fighting and not much story development. It all looked great and cool as shit, but like a lot of big events, its left a little wanting. However the fallout from it all has lead to some interesting titles and some cool stuff moving forward.

Deadpool has gone to heck lately. Desperate stuff...

I haven't been to up to date with Deadpool recently, but I have been reading the Marvel Now series which just launched which I quite like. In fact a lot of the Marvel Now stuff has been pretty good so far. It's been a pretty good year for comics all told, hopefully next year follows suit. My series of the year is Saga, if you could all stop what you're doing and go read that right now, that'd be great. I keep banging on about it to anyone who will listen. Or not listen.

I was reading The Boys in the trades and just finished the last one, thought it finished really strong. I always loved Hughie and how the ridiculousness of the series was grounded in his innocence. I can see peoples qualms with it, its so OTT, but thats all fine with me. It struggled to be consistently great to a match the level Garth Ennis has previously reached, but I still really enjoyed it. AvX for me, and a lot of others, was a little flat. Too much fighting and not much story development. It all looked great and cool as shit, but like a lot of big events, its left a little wanting. However the fallout from it all has lead to some interesting titles and some cool stuff moving forward.

That would be my biggest complaint about AvX was how it goes from setting the scene to a sudden fight right at the start, but like I said since at least Schism Jason Aaron to me had been building Cyclops to a certain manner so I didn't feel like it was out of character. Although I don't think Captain America was particularly well written. I felt he came across more as a bully than anything else.

Happy! is awesome, shame its only a 4 issue series. Love Darick Robertson's art in it too, he's great. First issue of Bedlam was cool, though the second was a bit flat story wise. Didn't really kick on from the first. But the art is brilliant in that too, superb use of red. There's only been the 2 so far so its definitely one to keep an eye on.

Yeah, I've very much enjoyed Happy! and the latest issue is, for me, the best so far. As for Bedlam, i read a review of it and it sounded pretty awesome, so I started reading Issue 1, but never worked my way through it properly, but I did enjoy what I read of it, so have picked up issue 2, and will probably get 3 and 4 and read the whole series in 1 go.

My series of the year is Saga, if you could all stop what you're doing and go read that right now, that'd be great. I keep banging on about it to anyone who will listen. Or not listen.

I just noticed Issue 1 is free on Comixology, so I've grabbed that and will see what I think and whether to pick up anymore

Is Watchmen really all its cracked up to be? I know some people totally bum it as somekind of masterpiece, but it is really 'that' good?

Yes, quite simply.

As far as Miller goes, a lot of his Daredevil stuff is supposed to be pretty good, never been a Daredevil fan myself. The only other thing I've read,bar the ones you've mentioned, is Dark Knight Strikes Again which isn't great.

Edited by Harvey Dent

. The only other thing I've read,bar the ones you've mentioned, is Dark Knight Strikes Again which isn't great.

Yeah, I'd read that Dark Knight Strikes Again was a disappointment compared to his other work. The only other key work that seems to get praise is Ronin, which I've not read

Saw 'Hipster Hilter' in Page45 while I was in Nottingham recently, intrigued to see exactly what that's about

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Since i failed miserably to find a copy of the Street Fighter stuff at a decent price, i'm onto plan B. Brothers birthday just after Christmas, can anyone recommend any Batman stuff other than that listed below that would make a worthwhile gift?

DC Comics:

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

The Man Who Laughs

Dark Victory

The Long Halloween

Joker

The Black Glove

Arkham Asylum

The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Titan Books:

Gothic

The Killing Joke

Hush Vol 1 & 2

R.I.P. Deluxe

Thanks in advance.

Since i failed miserably to find a copy of the Street Fighter stuff at a decent price, i'm onto plan B. Brothers birthday just after Christmas, can anyone recommend any Batman stuff other than that listed below that would make a worthwhile gift?DC Comics:Year One The Dark Knight Returns The Man Who LaughsDark VictoryThe Long HalloweenJokerThe Black GloveArkham AsylumThe Dark Knight Strikes AgainTitan Books:GothicThe Killing JokeHush Vol 1 & 2R.I.P. DeluxeThanks in advance.

Like I say, I've only recently started reading Batman, but one that wasn't listed is Death In The Family , which I believe is either Titan Books or Dark Horse Comics

• 4 weeks later...