Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

On the plus side, that card looks absolutely brilliant on paper. The main event is THEE match for me right now, as Kevin Steen is probably my favourite thing in wrestling and I fucking hate the champion. So I'll be on the edge of my seat all the way through and I'm definately watching pure for that match.

The Briscoes have a good track record in brawls, Cole/Elgin has Elgin in it so I'm up for that, Storm/Bennett was very good last time out, Rhino/Edwards is VERY intriguing, Strong/Finlay should be brutal and they're bound to do SOMETHING with the Bucks/ANX fued. So yeah, it's the first must-see ROH card for a while for me.

• Paid Members

With Davey having to drop the IWGP tag belts, and now being pulled from BOSJ tournament in Japan, could this point towards an much larger injury, (and as such) a title change with Steen?Personally I hope Steen wins anyway, but thought it might be a relevent topic.

• Paid Members

Oooooooh, bugger, I might have to get that Joe/Punk set... I've already got the first 2 matches but to have all 3 together, plus the great shoot, is pretty tempting. Hm. Birthday list for now.

• Paid Members

Big show for ROH tonight. Some saying its the biggest ever, and none of it has anything to do with what happens in the ring. If they fuck up the stream for the iPPV tonight, there's talk this is the end of the road for them. It would be sad to see, but maybe Sinclair dumping them would be the best thing for them if someone else could take over. Sinclair are only interested in spending the very bare minimal on Ring of Honor anyway. ROH has lost the hardcore fanbase, the shows aren't nearly as interesting as they were a few years back and they cant even put a stream up when so many iPPV based promotions seem to do fine.Is anyone on here buying it? Or are you scared to get burned again like a lot of ROH fans are saying?

• Paid Members

As far as the production, it all started late last year at Final Battle. The show was embarrassingly bad from a production standpoint. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Kevin Kelly even started to sound like a Darlek halfway through, which was a definite bonus. Then at WrestleMania weekend, it all went tits up again for another iPPV. Yet more refunds were given out and ROH pulled out of GoFightLive blaming them for the fuck ups. And this very week, on the back of WWE posting Bryan vs Punk photos on WWE.com, ROH decided to attract more viewers by posting that match on their site using their new production set up. And when these WWE fans who may be interested went to check this match out, nobody could view it because ROH fucked up on the streaming and uploading of the match and we couldn't see it. Cheers lads.

So if tonight is another massive cock up, where are they to go from there? And who is going to be buying this show, after they've been burned so many times? Its a big show for them tonight.

As far as Sinclair goes, they are shite. Ring of Honor have no identity anymore. Its just really, really dull these days. The words "workrate pervs" used to get battered around when talking about ROH, but ROH dont even appeal to that market. Just look at the poster for tonight:

BWarsSmallPoster.jpg

Looks like a 1PW show. Team Angle, Rhino, Lance Storm, Black Machismo and Fit Finlay are taking up most of the poster. I posted a few pages back that ROH for all its faults back in the day, used to be good at creating name players. Everyone knew who CM Punk or Samoa Joe or or Nigel McGuinness or Bryan Danielson or Austin Aries was. Now the roster has no buzz about it, because Cornette wants to bring back regional based wrestling to an action hungry fanbase. Its only Kevin Steen who's really worth watching. As much of a plumb I think he is, at least Gabe Sapolsky knew his audience and knew how to product the big name players. Sinclair provide no significant backing, but at the same time want to move away from an indy based style. Thats why ROH is now Smokey Mountain-lite.

This isn't me knocking the promotion, but its so lifeless. Its like TNA. Good matches, but the fans are burnt out and there's isn't much faith that things will be better in the longrun.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

I've bought it already and plan on catching it tomorrow. Steen/Richards is just too much for me to turn down. The card is quality from top to bottom for me. The last time I bought, I did it for Kevin Steen vs. Steve Corino and it delivered and I also got a belting Michael Elgin match for my money.

• Paid Members

Ta. I do remember hearing about the production of their last iPPV being absolute disaster. It's no coincidence that this all started when Dave Lagana pissed off - he at least has some experience on how these things go.I haven't watched ROH since their first Sinclair show, so it's quite the shock to see them now marketing their shows around Finlay, Rhino and Lance Storm. How much power does Cornette have? It seems to have rapidly gone down with him having influence.It seems like a company without much direction, certainly zero buzz.