Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Not that interested in seeing Storm again to be honest, especially against Bennett.

Masters would be a good shout depending on how much he wanted. Another name I've seen thrown around is MVP and I just hope they don't bring him in as the stuff I've seen of him in Japan isn't pretty.

• Paid Members
– El Generico has not signed a new deal with ROH, but is expected to be brought back down the line.[/indent]

Of course they haven't resigned him. They cant afford to pay him to sit home while they arent using him, so they just let their wrestlers contracts run out and assume nobody wants to bring in a faux Mexician with a shit beard.

I will laugh if they brought in Lance Storm. It would be typical of a company with no idea how to present a wrestling product in 2012. An old bald bloke who had no star aura in his prime being brought in would be just cracking. MVP or Chris Masters SHOULD be the best possible candidates. Or John Morrison. Someone who people know and look half decent. John Morrison would probably come off like the Rock and Hulk Hogan's more charismatic love child if he was on ROH TV.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Paid Members
Lance Storm is fucking awful, always has been. I don't see why roh waste money on him to come in for a shot every few years, which would be money better spent on a Chris Masters or Luke Gallows.

It's about knowing your audience. ROHbots love Lance Storm and think Masters is shit. If they put Lance Storm on one of their cards, they might draw a few dozen extra that might not have come out of the basement for Michael Elgin vs Harlem Bravado and draw 350 instead of 300.

lancestormsits.gif

Ring of Honor had teased in a recent newswires that they were in negotiations with a 'surprise name' for the 'Showdown in the Sun' events on Wrestlemania weekend.

While he may not be that man, it was confirmed on this week's edition of ROH TV (if you've not seen it yet, read the report here) that former WWE, WCW and ECW star Lance Storm will be facing off against 'The Prodigy' Mike Bennett on Night One of the double header.

Storm has won a multitude of championships across the major promotions in the United States. He has particularly succeeded in tag team competition, winning the ECW World tag team championships on three occasions as well as winning the WWE World tag team titles four times. Add those to a WWF Intercontinental title, a WCW Hardcore championship and the WCW United States heavyweight belt three times, and Storm has an impressive r

Edited by ROHSteven

• Moderators
lancestormsits.gif

Ring of Honor had teased in a recent newswires that they were in negotiations with a 'surprise name' for the 'Showdown in the Sun' events on Wrestlemania weekend.

While he may not be that man, it was confirmed on this week's edition of ROH TV (if you've not seen it yet, read the report here) that former WWE, WCW and ECW star Lance Storm will be facing off against 'The Prodigy' Mike Bennett on Night One of the double header.

Storm has won a multitude of championships across the major promotions in the United States. He has particularly succeeded in tag team competition, winning the ECW World tag team championships on three occasions as well as winning the WWE World tag team titles four times. Add those to a WWF Intercontinental title, a WCW Hardcore championship and the WCW United States heavyweight belt three times, and Storm has an impressive r

• Paid Members

I remember the original Fate of an Angel being a good show, but slightly disappointing compared to the hype of the time. It's probably more enjoyable to watch in retrospect than the shows right now, though.

• Paid Members

Can't say the thought of another wanky "respect the wrestling" ROH appearance for Lance Storm fills me with anticipation. I wouldn't be opposed to Chris Masters/American Adonis coming in for a few shots, however. Until then:

ROH Tag Title Classic II (17 December 2010)

TagTitleClassicII.jpg

The last stop before 'Final Battle' takes place in Plymouth. No, not the home of the Argyle; the one that is in the suburbs of Boston. Things start off nice enough, as Kenny King vs. Adam Cole is perfectly placed as an opener. A well-paced short bout, full of fancy moves, fast-paced action, a couple of big dives and crowd-enticing personality to get everyone warmed up. This is also certainly the best Adam Cole I've seen so far. Another newcomer, "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett, first showed up as a local job guy on 'Fade to Black' a few months ago, but by this point he had made a few appearances on the HDNet TV show. Here, he returns to ROH DVD accompanied by "Brutal" Bob Evans (who also appeared as a local talent at 'Fade to Black'), who is brilliantly cast as an old school boxing-style trainer. It's a sports entertainment-esque gimmick which definitely makes Bennett come across as more interesting than in his last DVD appearance. Indeed, he does look good here in an enjoyable bout with the goofy Colt Cabana.

The positives keep coming as Kevin Steen & Steve Corino's solid, entertaining encounter with ROH tag yardstick The Briscoes is easily the Steen/Corino combination's best non-Generico/Cabana effort to date. In addition, World Champion Roderick Strong's non-title bout with Sonjay Dutt is another worthwhile, enjoyable affair.

A couple of bouts take a while to get going but deliver in the end. Much of the 4-way El Generico vs. Rhett Titus vs. Grizzly Redwood vs. Ricky Reyes bout is played out like a normal faces vs. heels tag bout and is pretty dull and nondescript, before coming alive for an exciting final few minutes. Following this, Kyle O'Reilly vs. TJ Perkins reprise their match from EVOLVE 3 and engage in more strikes n' submissions combat. It's a different style to anything else on the card and manages to work well. The audience is dead to them in the beginning, but is drawn into the action and is with them for every step by the end.

The only true out-and-out negative on the undercardcard is Christopher Daniels vs. Andy Ridge. Daniels has won the ROH Television title on HDNet since the last event, but this match here isn't anything to get excited about. This one is the last bout in Ridge's 'Trial Series', during which he has shown absolutely nothing.

As with many recent ROH DVD, the title of the release refers the to main event, this time a World Tag Team Championship collision between former stablemates Kings of Wrestling and American Wolves. And that title isn't far wrong. From the start, this is an absorbing cracker which manages to keep you fully interested at all times. I genuinely thought the tag straps could changes hands here and was with them for every big move and every false finish during the tremendous closing stretch. Castagnoli looks genuinely world class, Edwards is reaching the best form of his career, and both Richards and Hero seem so much better in tag matches than they do in singles. A truly magnificent battle and another top notch entrant in the KOW 2010 portfolio.

Overall, this is a very good effort from ROH. The undercard is much like the previous show: nothing special, but definitely solid and enjoyable. The main event is the main meat of this one, though, and is thoroughly worthwhile checking out. Thumbs up for what at first looked like a rather unassuming DVD.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Kenny King beat Adam Cole with the Royal Flush

Mike Bennett beat Colt Cabana with a roll-up after interference from Bob Evans

Trial Series Match: Christopher Daniels beat Andy Ridge with the Angel's Wings

Kevin Steen & Steve Corino beat The Briscoes (Jay & Mark)

El Generico beat Rhett Titus, Grizzly Redwood{L, brainbuster} and Ricky Reyes in a 4-way

TJ Perkins beat Kyle O'Reilly

Roderick Strong beat Sonjay Dutt with a backbreaker in a non-title match

Kings of Wrestling (CHris Hero{W, 3 rolling elbows} & Claudio Castagnoli) beat American Wolvers (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards{L}) to retain the ROH world Tag Team Titles

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: my ridiculous 2010 ROH project comes to an end with the 25th DVD of the year, 'Final Battle'. Really looking forward to this one.

Edited by Big Benny HG

Thanks for the info on the show. Really looking forward to receiving it this week in the post.

As for reviews, what's the best site to go off for reviews on events/dvd releases? Preferably not too smarky or work-rate perverts

All depends, for old shows, I find 411mania to be pretty good.

According to somebody on Twitter who is watching this week's TV show, they announced Mike Bennett against... Lance Storm!

Seems a very strange one to me but apparently it will be at SITS night one!

Also announced are Jacobs v Steen for 10th Anniversary and Briscoes v WGTT for SITS

May of been me on twitter who announced about Storm/Bennett but anyway, I thought at the iPPV it was The Briscoes vs. The Young Bucks, have I missed something?

EZ