Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm looking forward to Mayweather vs Marquez,thought we'd get the 24/7 shows on Sky Sports I'll have to find them online instead.Marquez had an awesome fight against Juan Diaz earlier this year and I'm hoping he'll make a good fight of this one too but it's hard to look good against Floyd.

Mayweather will most likely win but I'm a big JMM fan so I hope he does well.And I've had a feeling for a while for some reason that Cotto will beat Pacquiao and fuck up the Floyd-Manny superfight.

And sad to hear about Darren Sutherland,I think he could have done well.Shame his life ended like that.

Edited by wandshogun09

Mayweather will most likely win but I'm a big JMM fan so I hope he does well.And I've had a feeling for a while for some reason that Cotto will beat Pacquiao and fuck up the Floyd-Manny superfight.

That superfight is highly unlikely to happen from what's been said and written in recent times.

I'm watching the undercard and playing that old favourite, the "spot the celebrity lookalikes sat at ringside" game. So far we've seen:

Eddie Large of Little & Large fame

The late Senator Teddy Kennedy

John Prescott

Tom Baker

The late Major Ronald Ferguson

Mahatma Gandhi

The Fonz

A fat Eddie Izzard

Post anyone else you see!

Oh and Mayweather to win on points.

Great performance from Mayweather, he really is an unbelievable fighter. Dying to see him and Pacqiao go at it, hope it happens...

That interviewer at the end was a complete fucking tool, who is he?! Bringing in Mosely then not allowing Mayweather to reply, asking questions then immediately moving on to a completely different query before Floyd had barely started to respond let alone finish. Just utterly incompetent.

Also isn't Sugar Shane Mosely, like, really old..?

That self obsessed HBO interviewer ruined any hype for any upcoming fights after the fight by hogging the mic and asking lame questions trying to be arsey with Mayweather. Also, nobody wants to see Maywather/Mosley. Everyone wants to see the Pacquiao fight. Boxing continues to be it's own worst enemy with shit stunts like this.

That HBO interviewer was absolutely shit as all hell. I wanted to see a bit of hype and needle, isn't that what you want in order for your fight to be money?

Loved how Floyd owned the interviewer at the end, nicely done.

I thought there was lots of good action in the undercard fights, particularily from my boy Micheal Katsidis, but damn I was disapointed with the main event. It was obvious Mayweather still has his amazing skills, but unfortunantely he still has the same mentaility towards fighting. It as obvious right from the start Marquez was over matched, and after he dropped him in the 2nd it looked like Mayweather could have stepped it up and taken him out whenever he wanted. But instead he plays it cautious and taps his way to the usual dull, wide decision win. I can't fault his skills but I'll never like the way he fights.

I'm watching the undercard and playing that old favourite, the "spot the celebrity lookalikes sat at ringside" game. So far we've seen:

Eddie Large of Little & Large fame

The late Senator Teddy Kennedy

John Prescott

Tom Baker

The late Major Ronald Ferguson

Mahatma Gandhi

The Fonz

A fat Eddie Izzard

Post anyone else you see!

Oh and Mayweather to win on points.

Roy Cropper from Corrie was definitely in the bottom right corner as he usually is. At the bottom left it looks like Michael Buffer was consistantly chatting with Teddy Sheringham. During the Mayweather fight there was a bloke who was the spitting image of Triple H as well! :rolleyes:

Also isn't Sugar Shane Mosely, like, really old..?

He's 38, which may or may not be old depending on how you look at it I guess.

He's coming off good stoppage wins over Ricardo Mayorga and Antonio Margarito, so he's not doing too badly at present.

As for the fight itself, it went as most predicted that it would.

Mayweather, at 5'8 and 147lbs fighting weight was easily too big for Marquez who stands around 2 inches shorter and usually fights 12lbs lighter.

I still don't see a fight with Pacquiao happening any time soon, although I do agree with the US commentary team that Mayweather picking Marquez could have been to simply bolster his own image by soundly beating the guy who took Pacquiao to the wire twice.

It's worth remembering that Pacquiao is promoted by Bob Arum, who split from Mayweather a few years ago, so it's unlikely they'll be working together any time soon.

Recent comments by Arum seem to back that up, sadly.

• Paid Members
Kellerman is an absolute wanker, but at least he called Floyd on only picking fights he knows he can't lose.

Exactly.

Maybe if Mayweather would answer the questions then Kellerman wouldn't have been so arsey with him.

Kellerman isn't nearly as much of a cock as Mayweather is - it's just that Mayweather has earned the right to be a cock.

• Paid Members

The British Boxing Board of Control has ordered a rematch of the English heavyweight championship contest between Tyson Fury and John McDermott.

Referee Terry O'Connor awarded the 12 September fight to Manchester's Fury 98-92, despite most observers feeling McDermott had done enough for victory.

The BBBofC accepted the decision was controversial and the rematch will take place before the end of the year.

The board also said O'Connor could continue as a Class A Star Referee.

A statement on the BBBofC website read: "In everyone's view the contest was competitive and the outcome controversial.

"In light of the explanation and his record, ability and experience, the board has allowed O'Connor to continue as a referee."

606: DEBATE

Good decision from the BBBofC and I think Fury will win it properly this time around

Jonnyaiston

Fury, 21 was awarded the decision after a 10-round contest in Brentwood, Essex.

McDermott's promoter Frank Maloney was furious after the result was announced, saying: "I'm sure I will be called up before the (British Boxing) Board for my behaviour but Terry O'Connor is a disgrace to British boxing for what he's done here."

Essex fighter McDermott, 29, was also on the end of a controversial points defeat when he fought British heavyweight champion Danny Williams last July.

...and rightfully so, that decision was awful. It was a cracking scrap though.