Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Best guess would be around 2-3am. That would make it 9-10pm in New York City, seems about the right time.

I think it will depend on how the undercard fights go, but usually the big US fights are between about 3.00 and 3.30am ourtime.

HBO's programmes seems to start around 2am, and they tend to have one main undercard fight live before the main event. Often its a world title fight, but this time it looks like Zab Judah-and it all depends on how long that lasts

Ah yes of course, it will be a bit earlier than usual, as New York is on the east coast, while most of the big world title fights are in Las Vegas nowadays-which is west coast. So as Familiar says, probably between 2 and 3

WORLD LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Joe Calzaghe..........................Roy Jones Jr

10 Rounds - Welterweights

Zab Judah ................... Ernest Johnson

10 Rounds - Junior Welterweights

Francisco Figueroa..................... Emanuel Augustus

12 Rounds - Junior Welterweight

Dmitriy Salita ................. Derrick Campos

Looks like this is what's televised. Augustus is almost always exciting so I see some potential there.

Well I'm knackered. And my stupid body's woke up and won't let me go back to sleep. You lot got me hoping the fight would start about 3am latest.

I stuck a tenner on Calzaghe before the fight to make it slightly more interesting, and was cursing the tv when he got dropped straight away. In the end he was just better, and that cut on Jones was nasty, I didn't think it was going to points when things were how they were in the 8th.

It'd be a good way for Calzaghe to go out if he does retire, but boxers seem to be like wrestlers and have trouble walking away. Seems his family really want him to give it up though, so I think that might be it for him.

Really good fight from Calzaghe, knows how to win on American soil - Pressure Pressure Pressure and Jones just had nothing for him past the 5th. Joe never had the power to knock out Jones but he didn't need it, has more stamina than a team of cart horses and made Roy Jones look daft.

Really masterful performance.

Seems like Joe likes getting knocked down in the first and then letting them punch themselves out for a few rounds before taking control :D

It may just be me but I find Calzaghe's fights insanely boring; Lacey, Kessler, Hopkins and now Jones Jnr all followed a similar script.

Other than possibly being stopped for the Jones cut (which was caused when a jab sliced down on his face), it didn't look at any moment that Calzaghe was going to either drop or stop him. This was much the same in the aforementioned fights as well, yes his speed and brilliant punch heavy combo's are reasonable on the eye and score points on the judges scorecards but they are completely devoid of knockout power, and the inevitability of a Calzaghe points victory makes the whole thing a little tedious for me.

• Paid Members

Calzaghe was outstanding again, i ain't really fan (although i love to watch him fight), but unless someone knocks him out, i cant see how anyone can beat him. The guy just throws way too many punches, alot of them dont do any damage, but you can't not score the workrate.

only complaint ive got is..how shit is setanta compared to sky in terms of a stacked card before the main event?

that's got nothing to do with Setanta.

never said it was, just pointing out how totally different the 2 companies shows are,whether its hbo that made the decision for the american part what was to stop setanta doing a stacked uk card from 11pm till 1:30?

is there really any dream matches left in boxing now? cos only one id like to see would be calzaghe vs mayweather which could NEVER happen.

It depends what you mean by dream matches. Gimmick matches between past it guys with name value? There are some, I bet there's alot of people who'd still pay to see Tito Trinidad rematch Oscar De La Hoya, for example. There's plenty of other great matches to be made, and always will be as new guys emerge to replace the old ones, problem is right now the guys who could be taking the top name spots, like Miguel Cotto and Kelly Pavlik, have been getting beaten. Cotto vs Margarito did about 500,000 ppv buys, which is damn impressive for 2 guys who aren't huge names and can't speak english to promote the fight.

It depends what you mean by dream matches. Gimmick matches between past it guys with name value? There are some, I bet there's alot of people who'd still pay to see Tito Trinidad rematch Oscar De La Hoya, for example. There's plenty of other great matches to be made, and always will be as new guys emerge to replace the old ones, problem is right now the guys who could be taking the top name spots, like Miguel Cotto and Kelly Pavlik, have been getting beaten. Cotto vs Margarito did about 500,000 ppv buys, which is damn impressive for 2 guys who aren't huge names and can't speak english to promote the fight.

As far as Joe goes though,there is nothing!! The HBO guy asking him about Chad Dawson was an insult!! Like Bunce said "he couldn't draw flies"