Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

He whooped that ass. I had this feeling that Hopkins was going to ruin alot of plans with this fight, but I never saw such a domination coming. If Jones beats Calzaghe (which is starting to sound more possible to me by the day) then a good way to finish off both guys careers would be by finally having a re-match between them 15 years later.

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of boxing is going on over the next few weeks, especially involving British fighters.

For anyone with nuts tv, they're actually pretty good for boxing and tommorow night they're showing Arthur Abraham, who is definetly the top guy gunning for middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik now that Pavlik is not jumping to catchweights after that last arse kicking, vs Raul Marquez, who is a tough veteran but is definietly past his best. It should be a fun fight, both guys usually bring it, Abraham fought about 8 rounds with a broken jaw before.

Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones will be on the same night, I do like to bet on an underdog, but I'm sure Calzaghe will take this. Jones resurgence is really just smoke and mirrors, 3 wins in 3 years, 2 against mediocre guys, 1 against a welterweight who hadn't fought in 2 1/2 years, anyone who thinks he's back is just deluding themselves. He still has great hand speed but Calzaghe isn't far behind him, and has pretty much every other advantage. He's been fighting more often, has been fighting proper competition these last few years, is younger and busier etc. I suppose you can never write a guy off, look what Bernard Hopkins did last month, but I'd bet the farm on Calzaghe.

David Haye, Ricky Hatton and Carl Frock all also have big fights coming up.

I pick Calzaghe, Haye and Hatton but I'd actually pick Pascal to beat Froch.

It's the only fight Calzaghe can have to be honest. He is no longer a Super Middleweight so that rules out Froch and a Kessler rematch and a Pavlik fight would now defy logic. A Hopkins rematch would be his biggest challenge but I never want to see those two in a ring with eachother again, that fight was ugly.

Bad Chad Dawson would be the only other name worth mentioing. He's on the up, not a huge marquee star but definitely the heir apparent in the light heavyweight, he's beaten Glenn Johnson and Antonio Tarver, it could be sold as Calzaghe seeing off one last young lion. I doubt it will happen as it doesn't have huge marquee value, but you're right, there isn't any other obvious big fight for him after this.

• Paid Members

Calzaghe/Jones Jr. tonight then :)

i'll be viewing it live if i aint too intoxicated, if not i'll have to watch it tomorrow. Im predicting Calzaghe on points, i'm hoping Jones Jr. is really up for it and comes out firing. Interesting fight.

it also appears David Haye's fight isn't doing the business for next weekend, i had an email saying that all tickets are now but-1-get-1-free for the event. I always thought the O2 was abit ambitious for the fight. The time of the fight has been brought forward from 2am too 11.15pm too, which is awesome for me watching on TV (i guess their thinking the time was putting people off going).

will the Froch fight be on Setanta too? also Danny Williams is fighting tonight, anyone know if that'll be shown on TV anywheres?

Live on ITV1, unless plans have changed since I went to bed last night. A new promoter stuck a deal with ITV to new boxing shows for them, mostly on ITV4 but bigger ones will get on ITV1. Danny Williams will be on ITV 4 tonight, along with Junior Witter, starting at 7:20.

Regarding Setanta, as I remember it was connected within a few minutes on the phone call, and they send you a seperate invoice for it.

Looks a great night of Boxing tonight on itv4, nuts tv and some dodgy (hopefully setanta stream). My internet at uni is shocking but hopefully it will play them. I've seen lots of potential streams about, but does anybody know of any setanta ones that are likely to be doing the rounds?

And out of interest, how long have Nuts TV been showing live Boxing? I've seen all their classic Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank fights but this is the first time I've ever actually hard of them showing a live fight.

Thanks,

Sergio

I think it will depend on how the undercard fights go, but usually the big US fights are between about 3.00 and 3.30am ourtime.

HBO's programmes seems to start around 2am, and they tend to have one main undercard fight live before the main event. Often its a world title fight, but this time it looks like Zab Judah-and it all depends on how long that lasts