Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

just watched friday's Prizefighter 2 show...once again, great stuff.it's the best new thing to happen to British boxing in some time. Boxing purists may not like it, but it's just what boxing needs, very exciting, fast paced and great fun. The final between Sexton/Burton was fantastic stuff, cracking exposure for some of Britain's best up-and-coming boxers, and a much needed boost for some deserving journeymen fighters.the 3rd Prizefighter is on October 24th (i think) and is the first to feature welterweights, gonna be a good one.

i only just read the stuff on here about Amir Khan...can anyone explain why everyone seems so happy that he lost?

As an non-fan of boxing, and someone who just browses this thread, I would say its more to do with the fact that SKY where pushing him down peoples throats, to the point that it was sickening and you could barely turn on SSN without hearing him, theyve barely mentioned him since the loss. As a side, thats an "outsiders" point of view as such, a proper boxing fan might be able to give a better explanation. Edited by klown

What makes me mad is that before they had him he never got a mention yet as soon as they get him they oversell him, also I think it was a bit stupid to put his fight against a "no body" on PPV instead of maybe SS1 then move it over when he gets to the big boys.

i only just read the stuff on here about Amir Khan...can anyone explain why everyone seems so happy that he lost?i dont understand the hatred for the guy.

There's a whole multitude of reasons why I don't like him.He's been brought along incredibly slowly. There's been a very limited step up in competition with each fight he's taken, his previous fight was with Micheal Gomez, which was actually a step back from some of the others he'd fought, and he still got dropped by him. He's being boxing long enough now he should be moving up in class. Alexander Povetkin won gold at the same olympics, and he isn't exactly a mind blowing talent but he's progressed through the levels of fighters and looks to be fighting Wladamir Klitcshko before the year is out, while Khan is still scrapping with inter-continental belts and other piddling crap.Briedis Prescott has been drummed up by almost nazi party levels of propoganda into the re-incarnation of George Foreman by Frank Warren and others in British boxing, first to make the fight look like a PPV fight, secondly to make excuses for Khan, but he was a nobody, they never expected it to be a step up in class. He had a record which looked good on adverts but if you actually look at it, of his 19 previous opponents, 5 had winning records. Boxrec was the only place I could find mention of him, and they had him ranked as the 97th best lightweight in the world. But by drumming up him having 17 KO's in 19 wins, they hoped to fool enough people into buying the fight.

you can't blame Sky for trying to sell their product.

Yes I can, because they already charge me enough for me to watch sky sports, but instead they had the gall to stick a guy who's still just an up and coming hopefull against a nobody on ppv for 15 quid. Which is absolutely scandalous, I wouldn't have been bothered if it had been on sky sports one but ppv should be reserved for the real fights between real stars. If we have to pay to watch everyone fight every fight fan around the world will be bankrupt before long.I also don't like the way everyone in British boxing sucks his dick (even now, after being iced in less than a minute, people are still making excuses for him, blaming the trainer, saying he will definately be world champ one day etc) and ignores his obvious faults. I don't like his smugness, Frank Warrens smugness, his Dads smugness, the way he's been rammed down everyones throats first by ITV, then sky, since his debut while better talents get no spotlight at all, and there's proabably more reasons but that'll do for now.I actually used to be a fan of the guy, I have a signed boxing glove from him I got after going to one of his fights in 2006, but the last couple of years have put me right off him.

• Paid Members

ok fair enough, at least you ain't of the (dare, i say racist) majority who seems to get on Khan's back now...even people with the faintest/no interest in boxing have been putting Khan down. as for bigging up Prescott. It's marketing, they gotta do this kind of thing or they won't sell the fights, i don't see how you can blame Khan, Sky, Promoters for that, it's just the way it is.Box Office, i ain't happy with that, i'd rather see it shown on Sky Sports 1 but again it's business, there's more too it than i'll ever know when it comes down to numbers of cash and whatever.i've never found Khan to be smug, he's a confident young man no doubt but i dont think he ever came across as cocky or dislikable. As for competition, he's definatly been overprotected and perhaps his rise and been to slow, but for people to celebrate the fact that he got laid out is ridiculous.

as for bigging up Prescott. It's marketing, they gotta do this kind of thing or they won't sell the fights, i don't see how you can blame Khan, Sky, Promoters for that, it's just the way it is.

They could put him on the undercard of a proper fight, which is where a match of this caliber should be. They could wait until he was ready for a better opponent to put him on ppv. They could have got him a better opponent for this match, he couldn't have done much worse. I am aware that they aren't the only people in boxing lieing and bull-shitting and exaggerating to make a profit, but I will not pat them on the back for it. In America HBO would never put such a weak match on ppv. The only comparably weak ppv I can thin of is a recent Julio Cesar Chavez Jr card, which was an independant show at a knock down price at least.

Box Office, i ain't happy with that, i'd rather see it shown on Sky Sports 1 but again it's business, there's more too it than i'll ever know when it comes down to numbers of cash and whatever.

The reason I've heard is that Khans dad wanted him to get more money, so Warren had to rush him to ppv. Either that or Warren decided himself to rush him to ppv. Either way, it's simple greed involved, they were making plenty of money for the low level fights they were taking. I'll never sound pleased about being gouged.

As for competition, he's definatly been overprotected and perhaps his rise and been to slow, but for people to celebrate the fact that he got laid out is ridiculous.

The British seem to like to do that, gloating when people fail. Myself personally I love to watch an undefeated, silver sppon fed boxer get his arse kicked, just because upsets make the sport fun. I was 100% behind Antonio Margarito in his recent match with Miguel Cotto because , though I like both boxers, rooting for the underdog is one of the joys of following sports.

• Paid Members

ok, Larry i respect your opinion, i know you're a genuine boxing fan. it just annoys me that so many people are laughing at Khan's expence, ive heard countless comments like 'you see that paki fuck get knocked out last night', it f'n sickening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

David Haye will fight American Monte Barrett in a 10-round heavyweight contest at the O2 Arena on 15 November.

Haye has lined up the 37-year-old after his original opponent, JD Chapman, missed a media launch.

Barrett, 37, has lost two heavyweight world title bouts to WBC champion Hasim Rahman and WBA holder Nikolay Valuev.

"Barrett is pretty much a perfect opponent. He's an exciting heavyweight who always puts up a good fight," said ex-world cruiserweight champion Haye.

"At the same time, though, he's also a dangerous heavyweight who has surprised many other up-and-coming heavyweights.

"Nobody can ever take anything for granted with Barrett. There haven't been many boring Monte Barrett fights and I'm sure he'll be there swinging on 15 November.

"He's been fighting world-class heavyweights and hanging with them for years.

"When I beat Monte better than anybody has before, people will start to realise I'm serious about becoming world heavyweight champion."

606: DEBATE

What are your thoughts on this fight?

Haye has 21 wins from 22 fights with 20 knockouts, while Barrett's professional career consists of 34 victories (20 knockouts) and six defeats.

"Haye's caught my attention with all the talk he's been giving," said Barrett.

"David Haye will be in really deep water coming up to heavyweight, because he's not bringing any power with him - he may bring a little speed - but he's going to get annihilated when he fights me because I'm a seasoned guy who's hungry.

"I'm not just hungry - I'm desperate. And when you're desperate you do desperate things.

"I mean, I don't wash up when I'm in training camp - I don't change my clothes. All I do is train and fight.

"You ask my trainer and he'll tell you - before the Fields fight, I was hitting the wall. I was ready to go.

He added: "I love the UK. Also, I've got to redeem myself. The last time I was in the UK I lost to (Wladimir) Klitschko.

"You could say I'm not that great against big guys, but Haye isn't a big guy himself. I'll get redemption this time in the UK."

looking forward to that.

According to the good folks at eastsideboxing, The Khan ppv did about 49,000 buys. Franks Warren said before hand they needed about 250,000. Ouch, springs to mind.Sky have finally done something to justify the money I pay by bringing us Shane Mosely vs Ricardo Mayorga tonight. I'm going with Mosely, TKO somewhere in the last third of the fight.