Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Watched the countdown video earlier on today... I love videos like that. Im not really a boxing fan but do try and catch all the big fights.. and video packages like that really get me pumped up to watch it... just like the 24/7 vids for Hatton/Mayweather.

setanta are shite at boxing if this was sky there'd be a good card before the main event..too much talking

If this was on Sky, this would be the biggest thing in the country right now, rather than half a dozen posts on this message board. Anyways, I'm undecided as to whether, in this role, Steve Bunce is either the most entertaining thing in the sport or the most annoying. It's almost car crash at times. Not too worry, the fight we all paid to see is almost upon us...

setanta are shite at boxing if this was sky there'd be a good card before the main event..too much talking

If this was on Sky, this would be the biggest thing in the country right now, rather than half a dozen posts on this message board.
likewise if it was on itv..itv and sky have always been great at promoting big fights like this and stacking the undercard

That's american judges for you, they score on agression, don't like too much messing around, just for once though they didn't go for the american which is quite surprising.Good stuff.

B-Hop is a tough fighter to watch nowadays. In terms of class he almost always looks the better man, but his unwavering desire to spoil his opponent rather than actually beat him ruins everything. Even tonight I'd say he looked a cut above Joe in the majority of the exchanges - and in terms of quality shown he should have won the fight - but the wily veteran, dirtiest-player-in-the-game type tactics just aren't going to win you points, and if he's going to continue fighting that way he's not going to win big decisions. I even expect that the wide gap in the final judge's scorecard could only be born of a particular distaste for B-Hop's style (and fair enough too). I guess by now, though, Hopkins isn't too bothered about results.Joe did a job. Ugly, grinding performance, but well done. I don't think he looked good - in fact, like I said, I think he looked the lesser of the fighters - but I'm happy for him anyway.

Edited by textonly

I was dreading it when I realized Cortez was the ref, I mean after his performance in the Hatton/Mayweather fight, I really feared for Joe. And on this fight, he was in there every 2 seconds trying to break them up even when no actual 'holding' was taking place just the 2 fighters were coming together.Anyway, when Joe went down on his arse in the first I though oh shit, here we go but Joe bounced back but due to Hopkins un-willingness to want to set up and Cortez's constant interfering Joe could get into his groove but somehow Joe managed to get the split decision and my god, how big was that last score card - UNBELIVABLE!!Well done Joe, bring on Jones now and then retire.EZ

Well done to Calzaghe he had to grind out that victory, made even harder after the 1st round knockdown and Hopkins doing all he could to spoil the fight.Thing is had Hopkins thrown more punches he looked like he might get some positive results, but by the end of the 6th looked shattered and then it was just a case of doing a job.The judges scorecards were interesting, 114-113 in favout of Hopkins, do me a favour!

The fight was pretty excruciating to watch, and Hopkins tactics were both exceptionally dirty and boring, but I am thrilled Calzaghe got the deserved win. When I heard that one judge in favour of Hopkins I thought he was going to get the shaft.