Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone catch Ringside? there was a bit of a small house roundup section which featured loads of highlights, good stuff but it showed a clip Cello Renda getting purposely headbutted during a fight in which his opponent was disqualified...Renda's face was destroyed afterwards, it was harsh.

There are a couple of decent fights tonight. Richard Abril defends his WBA lightweight title (which he never won) when he faces unbeaten Ugandan Sharif Bogere. Abril was the guy who soundly beat Brandon Rios last year but two judges screwed him over on a split decision. Rios lost the belt on the scales and the WBA just gave it to Abril even though he lost. I've never seen Bogere box but his ring-walk is something to behold. He is carried to the ring in a cage whilst wearing a skinned lion.

sharig-bogere.jpg

Young featherweight prospect Gary Russell Jr. is also fighting on the undercard against a Russian fella. It should be an easy night for him.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr's. failed drug test for weed has cost him a

• Paid Members

Yeah the Guardian article is really good for a insight. Matchroom look to be signing a big name off Warren. You have a clue who it is?

I'd love George Groves to leave Warren think he is a real exciting fighter. Warren is fucking shit though. I despise Cleverley for his shit career his currently having.

Eddie as the right idea but it leaves Sky sort of Boxing a lot of Weekends.

• Paid Members

yeh i read Warren's column and he definitely uses it as a platform to have a pop at his rivals. The sad thing about it is, that single column is probably the only Boxing press read each week and when he's just burying UK boxing coverage that doesn't involve a Warren promoted fighter it doesn't do the sport much good.

I missed this week's column but i imagine it was a bit of a shit week for Warren after David Price's defeat last week, anyone catch what he had to say?

• Paid Members

ignore that, the column is up over on Warren's website.

this is also posted up on there:

George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday 16th March.

Groves was due to challenge for the Vacant European Super-Middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11th.

Groves has stated that he is not interested in boxing for the EBU title at this moment and would like to take his choice of fights in another direction.

Mr Warren would like to wish George all the best with his career and looks forward to working again with him in the near future.

• Paid Members

it's being reported that the Ricky Burns/Miguel Vasquez fight may also be off! apparently the fighters have yet to agree terms?! what the fuck? it's being advertised. Warren's saying hes confident it's going ahead but it may have to be at a later date.

Warren's having a bad week.

• Paid Members

Oh no. 2 of the 4 headliners gone if that's the case.

Burns been fucking about since the Mitchell fight. His big money fight with Broner isn't a guarantee since it's not that attractive when you got Broner's possibility in division above.

One of the comments from the Sun piece sums up Cleverley.

More and more garbage, from the mouth of Warren. Premier fighter?? Don't get me wrong, Cleverly is a very good fighter. However, he certainly isn't the elite at light-heavyweight.

Well, he isn't until he gets himself into contention with some of the big names, and I just don't see it happening with Warren and with whats going on with Cleverly's title defenses (bar Bellew, who I think has been progressing far more since his close fight with Nathan). And I believe that Nathan knows this. He is being mis-matched or just simply happy to keep on beating the mandatories. Nathan could take his destiny into his own hands and jump ships (like George Groves over to Matchroom). I think it is hilarious when a fighter comes out with the age old 'I'll leave it to my promoter or for my team to decide'. They might as well say 'Just keep feeding me the cannon fodder'. I mean even Warren sounds desperate to sell his opposition. '...who has served three prison terms for violent offences. That one should not be a hard sell'. That means absolute zero to true boxing fans. I mean wasn't the guy who fought Freddie Flintoff supposed to be some sort of gang banger, so that colourful description, Warren, means nothing. And even Nathan to keep on talking about Hopkins. Why not try to seek out a good scrap with Dawson?? Or even Cloud (should he beat Hopkins). Even when considering a unification fight, Warren/Cleverly are hand picking the opponent!! Joke!

• Paid Members

yeh Cleverly's career just seems like it's stuck in neutral. He's gone backwards since the Bellew fight in terms of opponents. The Hopkins talk is getting so tired, they were calling that after Bellew, they called for it after Karpency, they called for it after Hawk, now they are calling for it again but nothing seems to be happening.

It's a weird situation.

The ironic thing about Cleverly is that he beat Bellew for the world title. But if Bellew beats his next opponent he's going to get the world title shot Stateside that Cleverly's been craving for the past couple of years.

Dereck Chisora hasn't even got a boxing license, let alone an opponent for the Rule Britannia card yet. There was a big list of all the fights planned for the night on the Boxnation website but they've taken them all down except the two world title fights.

Easy win for Gary Russell Jr last night. His opponent threw little and Russell Jr hurt his left hand halfway through the fight so couldn't deliver the knockout punch. Time for him to move up in competition and fight someone more challenging.

Sharif Bogere is nicknamed the Lion but the way he fights is more like a goat. Very dirty fighter who leads with his head and has no regard for his opponent. He double headbutted his opponent Richar Abril last night and gave him two nasty cuts above each eye. Accurately scoring the fight was near impossible and refereeing it looked not much easier. Excessive holding, grappling, canvas throwing, rabbit punching were all heavily involved, mostly on Bogere's behalf. It wasn't until Abril got deducted a point for holding that he turned the tide in the fight. He used his superior reach advantage to box from a distance and keep Bogere at bay so the points racked up and he won the second half of the fight convincingly. Adrien Broner & Zab Judah were both at ringside, jumping up and down hysterically when the action heated up. Broner possibly scouting Abril for a lightweight unification bout in the near future.