Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I love how everybody is writing of Haye already. Does nobody remember that David has ALREADY had a heavyweight fight, against the number 10 in the world with ALL the governing bodies (apart from WBC who had him at 11), Tomasz Bonin, and murdered him in a round! I think Haye is the first real prospect we have had in a long time (I liked Audley but never bought him as a genuine contender... Harrison Vs. Haye anyone?) and with the exception of maybe Klitschko, I don't see anyone in the heavyweight division that makes me think 'Ohhh, Haye wouldn't stand a chance'Pity to see Johannson get battered around like he did. He just hasn't looked the same since that Kirakosayan fight when he was truely annhiliated.As for Hatton dodging Witter again... sickening. Who was Lazcano's last fight against that he lost? Vivian Harris. Who destroyed Vivian Harris? Witter! This is little more than an exhibition that wil be massively overpriced for what it is. Now looking forward to the Froch vs. Inkin fight. I like The Cobra but with his style he is just dieing to be knocked on his ass and it could happen this fight. I do hope not as he is a classy operator.

Edited by rubbafish

Christ, if Hatton wanted a pathetically soft touch opponent why didn't he just take Gavin Rees? he's closer to home and at least has a major world title.

The main reason because Rees is a light welterweight and Hatton is fighting at Welterweight at the moment. Also remember what a hard job he made of beating another poor champion (Mauser). Edited by rubbafish

They are willing to pay for a fight against a guy who won't have fought for 15 months, in a loss, and has never held any major title at any point? That's pretty retarded of them, I'm a big boxing fan and even I've never heard of this guy, it's not like he's bringing any name value either.

The main reason because Rees is a light welterweight and Hatton is fighting at Welterweight at the moment. Also remember what a hard job he made of beating another poor champion (Mauser).

According to boxrec it's a light-welterweight contest for some minor title.

The main reason because Rees is a light welterweight and Hatton is fighting at Welterweight at the moment. Also remember what a hard job he made of beating another poor champion (Mauser).

According to boxrec it's a light-welterweight contest for some minor title.
I stand corrected on that one then, apologise.

• Paid Members

anyone see the Pac-Man/Marquez II, Vasquez/Marquez III fights from the last couple of weeks??finally got to watch em both last night, back-to-back (managed to avoid the results :p)...2 absolute classic wars. Especially Vasquez/Marquez III, which has to be fight of the year so far. Insane fight.check them out.

• Paid Members

oh, does anyone know if the Kotelnik/Rees title fight is on tv this weekend??ahhh, just found out it's live on Setanta, outstanding.

Edited by Ebb

I've seen both fights (thankyou, youtube), Marquez/Vasquez was excellent, I agreed with Vasquez winning. Marquez/Paquaio wasn't quite as exciting as it wasn't the all out war the other fight was, but it was an excellent boxing match which occaisonally broke down to a slug fest. I had Marquez up by a point, but it was close enough I'm not complaining about the decision.

The Pacman fight was OK but no-where near the spectacle the commentators were trying to make it out to be. Be interesting to see Rees try and hold on to his title. Part of me hopes he DOES win and his mouth lands him in the Khan fight he is calling out for as I reckon Amir would kill him within 4 rounds. Frustrated the Carl Froch fight has been put back but hey, at least it hasn't been cancelled completely. Really looking forward to the next Cintron fight on the undercard of the Cotto fight as his absoloute murder of Walter Matthysse was one of my highlights of last year. One thing I am not looking forward to is the Hatton fight or just the card in general. I really don't rate Paulie Malignaggi and the proposed fight between him & Lovemore N'Dou (the lethargic one who Gavin Rees managed to beat easily) and no doubt Matthew will be on the undercard as well... there is no way in hell I am parting with my money for this Box Office (non) event.

Lovemore N'Dou (the lethargic one who Gavin Rees managed to beat easily)

Not to be an areshole who keeps nit picking your posts, but that was Souleymane M'baye who Gavin Rees beat.I agree with you about the crapness of the Hatton card, especially Hattons match. I've seen full page adverts in the paper and they don't even mention the opponents name, as he is just that, an opponent for a superstar to hammer. If you run a stadium show, you should have an opponent who merits a stadium. Joe Calzaghe did. Junior Witter is the obvious choice, but Hatton seems intent to duck him until he retires, with some bullshit about him not being a super star name. Well there are no super stars at 140 anymore, there were 2 years ago, when Miguel Cotto, Floyd Mayweather, Antonio Margarito and so on passed through the division and he took fights with Carlos Maussa and Juan Urango. But they've moved up and Hatton has proved he cannot hack it any higher than 140.I think Rees loses his title. I've seen the other guy once, fighting a much more motivated M'baye to a draw. He has a much more impressive record than Rees (it'd be hard not to). Then again the fight is in Wales so he better get a knockout. Why was Froch/Inkin postponed?